CraBee

February 2019 diary

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 2:45 PM, Rob Atkinson said:

The aphids populations here are being decimated by harlequin labybirds.

would have been cut by 2/3rd in the last 10 days .

most clusters of aphids would have up to 3 ladybird young feasting on them as well as heaps adults . Some of my young trees now have no aphids .

no willow dew  coming in the hives that normally get it .

im told they are getting a little bit in the Waikato 

What do the ladtbirds look like ,  we have willow aphids here and dew on the ground under trees 

7 minutes ago, AngieNZ said:

What do the ladtbirds look like ,  we have willow aphids here and dew on the ground under trees 

woops never mind I googled and I have seen them here ,even up in the hills ,theymust be tuff lol

36 minutes ago, AngieNZ said:

New bee here ,What time is it?

See the mega thread in diseases and pests section.  It’s a 100+ page monster but is a fantastic thread.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

well decided to whip in and take some honey off the two hives i missed a fortnight ago when I ran out of time... 3 more boxes, (2.5 from one hive, thats a total of 5 boxes from this hive this year, pretty prolific ladies there, still has two boxes on it).

And i even got the sewing machine out and sewed 20 strips, all ready for use now... now just waiting for my outside gas cooker to return from its holiday with my mate and then i can get these staples ready for the hives, yay!

And yes i agree 5 hives is far too many for a hobbyist who cant sell their honey... luckily i have quite a few family and friends who love honey and quite like swapping it for fresh or frozen fruit, peastraw, etc bartering still alive and well.

I guess tonight its back out with the extractor and clear these three boxes, and Im out of buckets... arrrggggggg

Edited by Rashika
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AngieNZ said:

New bee here ,What time is it?

it's varroa culling time! those are staples for the oxalic/glycerin solution

Gib time! Da na na na, na na, Gib time!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, CHCHPaul said:

Gib time! Da na na na, na na, Gib time!

Yes it is. 13mm on the ceiling after I've got the rotten fibrous plaster off. ☹️

• Like 2

A quick look in some hives  this arvo.

Bees are rapidly chomping through their stores. I hope they know what they are doing because there is no syrup coming their way this autumn ........

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rashika said:

well decided to whip in and take some honey off the two hives i missed a fortnight ago when I ran out of time... 3 more boxes, (2.5 from one hive, thats a total of 5 boxes from this hive this year, pretty prolific ladies there, still has two boxes on it).

And i even got the sewing machine out and sewed 20 strips, all ready for use now... now just waiting for my outside gas cooker to return from its holiday with my mate and then i can get these staples ready for the hives, yay!

And yes i agree 5 hives is far too many for a hobbyist who cant sell their honey... luckily i have quite a few family and friends who love honey and quite like swapping it for fresh or frozen fruit, peastraw, etc bartering still alive and well.

I guess tonight its back out with the extractor and clear these three boxes, and Im out of buckets... arrrggggggg

First let me assure you I don't personally have any problems with what to do with your honey but just to keep MPI happy please remember that you can give it away but you can't sell it and bartering is regarded as selling. You are gifting your friends honey out of the kindness of your heart and they are gifting you stuff back same way.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, john berry said:

First let me assure you I don't personally have any problems with what to do with your honey but just to keep MPI happy please remember that you can give it away but you can't sell it and bartering is regarded as selling. You are gifting your friends honey out of the kindness of your heart and they are gifting you stuff back same way.

I think its the same for fish .

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I think its the same for fish .

mmmm fish would be nice... I need to find someone who fishes and wants some honey... yes you are right John berry 'gifting' rather than bartering as I dont actually ask for anything for the honey.

Y'know i would actually like to sell it but with the ridiculous setup/council/etc etc etc costs I cant even contemplate it sadly. I really need to reduce my number of hives, 2-3 would be good, 5 is just too many.

16 hours ago, yesbut said:

Yes it is. 13mm on the ceiling after I've got the rotten fibrous plaster off. ☹️

Nothing worse than lath and plaster...

3 hours ago, Rashika said:

Y'know i would actually like to sell it but with the ridiculous setup/council/etc etc etc costs I cant even contemplate it sadly.

Lots of people do contemplate it and more.....just as in every field of human endeavour we're dragged down by laws made necessary by the lowest common denominator.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

4 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

Nothing worse than lath and plaster...

I think that removing window sashes, replacing hinges, stripping the windows, rehanging then painting comes close. Finished them last weekend. 105 pains/panes of glass, 69 rusted 1940s hinges and and 414 rusted and painted screws.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

@cBank classic you should mention this as I got four double hung sash windows working last weekend. Painful but satisfying! (Bought ten meters of sash cord... got tired by the last couple of measurements... cocked up and had to go back to M10 for another 2.5m... 💩)

mine is a 1901 villa. Needs lots of TLC!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cBank said:

I think that removing window sashes, replacing hinges, stripping the windows, rehanging then painting comes close. Finished them last weekend. 105 pains/panes of glass, 69 rusted 1940s hinges and and 414 rusted and painted screws.

I thought all those old wooden windows were being replaced with aluminium  windows .

1 hour ago, CHCHPaul said:

@cBank classic you should mention this as I got four double hung sash windows working last weekend. Painful but satisfying! (Bought ten meters of sash cord... got tired by the last couple of measurements... cocked up and had to go back to M10 for another 2.5m... 💩)

mine is a 1901 villa. Needs lots of TLC!

Be aware that not all "sash cord" is sash cord. Some stuff looking like and labelled as such is NOT UV STABLE, and only lasts a summer or so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Be aware that not all "sash cord" is sash cord. Some stuff looking like and labelled as such is NOT UV STABLE, and only lasts a summer or so. 

Yikes. Falling sashes sounds exciting.

Im using the same cord that i used over 10 years ago. Though i would like to get a longer life out of them than that if you know of a really good quality product @yesbut

11 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Im using the same cord that i used over 10 years ago. Though i would like to get a longer life out of them than that if you know of a really good quality product @yesbut

I can't recall what I use now, it's a couple of years since I contacted Donaghies who confirmed a product that M10 stocked was fine. Dr Google has info.....there are a couple of plastics that are ok, but the original and most expensive of course is cotton.  And there's plastic sheathed cotton......

• Like 1

I now have a huge queenless colony that has developed comb from all my lost bees during honey off, can anyone help me with what type of vacuum to shift them away? 

Ah so .... today we have a total fireban in place.....  the photo is of the smoke haze from a gazillion burn offs this morning.

we did a fire drill in a burnt off paddock of grass today..... imagined a scenario whete a smoke or smouldering smoker ember ignited the paddock.

we all agreed that we would be toast.

6E28A488-2B49-42C5-84E2-5CD9AA9259C3.jpeg

And today we passed another milestone.... in that the last of Mr Philbee’s staples were inserted into hives.

Might  be time for a bit of fishing.... Main Man caught a nice  salmon  in the Rakaia the other morning. After all his stories of the one that got away, I still reckon it’s cheaper to go buy it!

• Agree 1

I always, always carry a spade.

Amazing how quickly you can prevent fire

with a spade.

Wouldn’t be without it.

And a fire blanket.

Its still relatively green here which is an anomaly but I’ll take it.

Defintely brown tops though.

With the price of stock a lot of farms had plenty of grass but not enough stock.

Light robbing here, it’s not too bad yet but I’m sure it’s due to deteriorate.

February is normally ok. But March can be rugged.

Heaps of bees with nothing to do, chilling around home making a nuisance of themselves.

• Like 1