CraBee

February 2019 diary

9 hours ago, northernbee said:

Bees going to town on totora up here. Trees are full of berries so would of thought nectar long gone but busy busy

####, last thing my taranaki bees need is another flow. Somehow i've ended up with a few hundred full depth frames and thirty or so 3/4 depth boxes spare. Guess if i sort out thirty full depth boxes i should have enough space through to autumn, and that's cheaper than a pile of 3/4 frames. But i really don't like the weight of full depth boxes up high and heavy with honey

18 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

####, last thing my taranaki bees need is another flow. Somehow i've ended up with a few hundred full depth frames and thirty or so 3/4 depth boxes spare. Guess if i sort out thirty full depth boxes i should have enough space through to autumn, and that's cheaper than a pile of 3/4 frames. But i really don't like the weight of full depth boxes up high and heavy with honey

55 mm spacers would mean you could use 3/4 boxes in the meantime.

Full moons arising

little bit of rain ,little bit of heat.... and that sweet  aphid poo dew is running,  so we is working Kai Iwi’s red light.

35504538-8705-4BF6-9BE1-F2FDF358DA60.jpeg

37A17011-30CC-4F8E-82BC-95765D1693AA.jpeg

• Like 1

What the .... they must have an Irishman working the night shift...

68662987-A788-4033-ABAD-C6127B0E6E38.jpeg

• Haha 4

first time I have a real crop and first time tutin testing.

good results, I'm a happy camper :)

325201038_ScreenShot2019-02-16at12_54_43AM.thumb.png.801ff35d7b8530f7f19b0259a8faa665.png

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Sailabee said:

The ongoing Valentines Day?

Kind of. But seriously, it's what wasps do at this time of year and for the next 2 - 3 months. The underground nesting wasps select some prominent landmark such as a tall tree or group of trees, and you will see hundreds of wasps flying around at the top. It's a mating thing, there will be lots of males and next years queens. Easy to identify because you can see they are not hunting or achieving anything, just flitting around. The Asian paper wasps do the same thing but their preferred location is bare timber with the sun shining on it, often at ground level. Such as timber decks, garden landscaping with railway sleepers, or bare tree stumps. Long as it's in the sun and hot.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 4

I put up a step ladder on the lawn it’s a magnet for paper wasps I regularly go out and spray them with fly spray. 

I hope someone comes up with a way to poison them like the vespex guys did for German and common wasps

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 3

Poisoning of paper wasps is much more difficult. Because German and common wasps take live insects but are also happy to eat carrion so can be lured to vespex bait. Paper wasps it's live insects only, or occasionally sweet juices but that can't be used cos of the danger to bees.

• Good Info 1

49 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Kind of. But seriously, it's what wasps do at this time of year and for the next 2 - 3 months. The underground nesting wasps select some prominent landmark such as a tall tree or group of trees, and you will see hundreds of wasps flying around at the top. It's a mating thing, there will be lots of males and next years queens. Easy to identify because you can see they are not hunting or achieving anything, just flitting around. The Asian paper wasps do the same thing but their preferred location is bare timber with the sun shining on it, often at ground level. Such as timber decks, garden landscaping with railway sleepers, or bare tree stumps. Long as it's in the sun and hot.

Definately bees

If you say so Northernbee, they are bees. My explanation about wasps mating areas was in response to this comment from Jas.

20 hours ago, Jas said:

wasps are hunting insects on ours at present , and some trees have clouds of the blighters darting backwards and forwards .

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

Poisoning of paper wasps is much more difficult. Because German and common wasps take live insects but are also happy to eat carrion so can be lured to vespex bait. Paper wasps it's live insects only, or occasionally sweet juices but that can't be used cos of the danger to bees.

About sweet juices, our wasps we treat with apple vinegar+ sweet juice - acidity keeps bees away and wasps seems not distracted from entering.. Usually is beer+apple vinegar, but works with sweet concentrated syrups and apple vinegar also. Not rarely I saw wax moths also in some combinations, I think the most I saw in comb. orange concentrated syrup+apple vinegar+ water ( not too much of water)..

• Good Info 1

2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I put up a step ladder on the lawn it’s a magnet for paper wasps I regularly go out and spray them with fly spray. 

With German wasps I get loads while watering the garden. A moderately powerful spray setting directed at them has them on the grass really fast, then stamp on them. I get dozen each time I water. The bees seem to be able to fly out, and recover from a wash very quickly if not.

9 hours ago, Gabor said:

first time I have a real crop and first time tutin testing.

good results, I'm a happy camper :)

325201038_ScreenShot2019-02-16at12_54_43AM.thumb.png.801ff35d7b8530f7f19b0259a8faa665.png

Same here - arrived last night as I was doing the final extraction. 250kgs for the season from 4 hives.

I lost most of a very full box when I left a small hole and didn’t notice for 8 hours. I ran out of mats and so put the lid straight into a box that had been cleared - idiot. I had no idea that robbing could remove so much so fast.

10A1B664-3426-4D83-81BF-128E599A4ED3.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cBank said:

Same here - arrived last night as I was doing the final extraction. 250kgs for the season from 4 hives.

I lost most of a very full box when I left a small hole and didn’t notice for 8 hours. I ran out of mats and so put the lid straight into a box that had been cleared - idiot. I had no idea that robbing could remove so much so fast.

Wow, that's rapid.

By the way, - if it's not a secret or personal - what is the plan with 250kg honey?

I took 42kg (left plenty for the bees) and it is not easy to store or consume, even my kids are drinking the stuff. I know, it would be ideal to have at least two hives but that would mean roughly double the honey crop... what could I do with that amount of honey is a mistery to me

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Gabor said:

Wow, that's rapid.

By the way, - if it's not a secret or personal - what is the plan with 250kg honey?

I took 42kg (left plenty for the bees) and it is not easy to store or consume, even my kids are drinking the stuff. I know, it would be ideal to have at least two hives but that would mean roughly double the honey crop... what could I do with that amount of honey is a mistery to me

There are so many more advantages to having two hives, than the “problem” of too much honey. Especially for beginners. 

It’s amazing how many friends appear if you have too much honey 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

@Gabor I have no idea what to do with that volume. I’d have been very happy with a third that. I have been giving it to friends and family and they all bake a lot. It’s great in bread. There is 150+kgs in the kitchen though, so that needs some thought.

Next season I’ll try for 2-3 hives. 4 is too many.

Just did some sugar shakes as the OA/GL strips went in. 3, 3, 15, 15 so the varroa breeding programme is going well. The strongest hives had the most. Nice brood pattern, nothing too alarming looking, but had seen maybe 3 or 4 DWV bees in front of the pair over the last 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

On 16/02/2019 at 11:42 AM, cBank said:

10A1B664-3426-4D83-81BF-128E599A4ED3.jpeg

Were you storing it outside?

11 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Were you storing it outside?

On the hive. I used an escape then switched the escape for a mat after 3 days to resuse the escape. The lid allowed robbing through the gap between the hand hold and the lid as I didn’t use a mat. Won’t do that again.

• Good Info 1

On 16/02/2019 at 2:01 PM, cBank said:

@Gabor I have no idea what to do with that volume. I’d have been very happy with a third that. I have been giving it to friends and family and they all bake a lot. It’s great in bread. There is 150+kgs in the kitchen though, so that needs some thought.

Next season I’ll try for 2-3 hives. 4 is too many.

Just did some sugar shakes as the OA/GL strips went in. 3, 3, 15, 15 so the varroa breeding programme is going well. The strongest hives had the most. Nice brood pattern, nothing too alarming looking, but had seen maybe 3 or 4 DWV bees in front of the pair over the last 2 weeks. 

Time to start making mead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHCHPaul said:

Time to start making mead. 

I'm too old to drink crap alcohol :) and too lazy to bother :)

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Gabor said:

I'm too old to drink crap alcohol :) and too lazy to bother :)

And I'm too stingey to buy it. Petrol is my drug of choice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That probably costs even more.

59 minutes ago, yesbut said:

And I'm too stingey to buy it. Petrol is my drug of choice.

Your bike would not reach your front gate by the amount I drink :)

I miss my bike :(

@cBank I think  4 is a good number.

It covers you for loses.

Gives you a hive that you can make summer queens from .

And you may not get that much honey every year .

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

On ‎9‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 9:53 PM, Gabor said:

it's time 

image.png.4af09b9ae5ab76e549e9cc16085bd530.png

New bee here ,What time is it?