Bees

Bearding pics

Hot bees - not swarming etc just hot with this weather.  Glad they don’t get sunburnt!,

other threads talk about how the metal lids heat up the hive - and some are using ply under the lids to help cool.    Do you reckon it works?

13E46FD5-FB05-4D73-AE30-DED4CC2D51D1.jpeg

• Like 4

Just in case - sunshine or rain

DEE10886-5803-43D4-A37B-EBC056408DDE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, Bees said:

Do you reckon it works?

I have a layer of polystyrene under the metal lid- makes a difference to the temperature of the crown board at least, so I'm going with it conserving the bees effort to regulate the temperature. It works well to keep the hive drier in winter too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

my guess is that the hive is being poorly managed for space (+ who knows what else) and needs another super. How many empty frames in the hive?

9 hours ago, Mummzie said:

I have a layer of polystyrene under the metal lid- makes a difference to the temperature of the crown board at least, so I'm going with it conserving the bees effort to regulate the temperature. It works well to keep the hive drier in winter too.

ditto, works very well both summer and winter. I dont get damp (i.e. from high humidity in the hive) top boards at all if i have the poly under the lid (in summer) and in winter I think it just helps maintain the temp inside.

• Like 1

The hive was actually fine - I had taken honey off and replaced frames - just bloody hot!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bees said:

The hive was actually fine - I had taken honey off and replaced frames - just bloody hot!

was this a pic not long after opening the hive?

No I had been there a couple of days before.   Checked it again after seeing it like this as I had never quite seen this amount of bearding before.    It is definitely the heat doing it.  Looked really daunting - bees are quiet as - mellow bees, one of my new season queens going for it.    Will be splitting hive next week to raise a few more.  

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

I have to use insulation above my crownboard but in our climate overheating isn't a problem rather the reverse. 

I would however advise against polystyrene in the cover unless your bees don't have access above the crown board as you will find they will mine it.

Where it goes and whether it does them any good or not I don't know but I would think it would adversely affect them.  Even a cement type wall paint over it will help prevent them if that's all you have

• Agree 1

On 30/01/2019 at 12:41 PM, Bees said:

other threads talk about how the metal lids heat up the hive - and some are using ply under the lids to help cool.    Do you reckon it works?

I have always used ply crownboards under the tin.  Wood is a great insulator and I have not experienced condensation issues.  Better still is to site hives with morning sun but in the shade midday on.  A little sun gets the girls up and active early in the day, and with our 30+ degree days recently there was not much bearding because of the shade under the trees. Granted we do not get the humidity here that others may suffer from.

Just showing off our first bearding which happened today, it's only like a 15yo kids beard I know, but hey it makes us feel like we belong with the big guns.  Humid 28 deg they were hanging out most of the afternoon until 8pm

IMG_20190212_175816.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Beer said:

Just showing off our first bearding which happened today, it's only like a 15yo kids beard I know, but hey it makes us feel like we belong with the big guns.  Humid 28 deg they were hanging out most of the afternoon until 8pm

IMG_20190212_175816.jpg

suggest reducing the entrance by half

Mine are down to maybe 5cm, one bee  high. The hive doctor ones are at one or 2 open. I’m shutting them down further when I do any work. Between wasps and robbers they seem happier with a small door.

How do you find the hive? I’ve never seen one like that used. What size frames does it take?

Oh.. good I suppose.  We got one conventional wooden and this one to compare.  It takes ordinary wooden frames, internal dimensions are standard.  My whole approach has been based on curiosity and whatever is innovative.  When we started thinking about hives I tried googling for comparisons but could hardly find anything at the timeso decided to jump in and find out for ourselves.  Experienced beeks are quite opinionated about the technoset as it is plastic.  Stoney lost thousands of them I think in the big fire 😣😵 if we had more money I would like to have got a polystyrene hive as well.  Our bees seem to be going well in this plastic hive so far. 

Edited by Paul Beer

2 hours ago, Paul Beer said:

Stoney lost thousands of them I think in the big fire 😣😵 if we had more money I would like to have got a polystyrene hive as well.  Our bees seem to be going well in this plastic hive so far. 

Heck no mate.. not those plastic hives. 

We lost thousands of plastic FRAMES that were inside wooden boxes.