john berry

Varoa death strips

12 hours ago, Alastair said:

I'm thinking OA based strips might not be good for bees to overwinter on.

This has not been my experience this winter. All of my hives (only 30, but in six different apiaries) had Staples @ 40% over winter and have come through with flying colours. 

In saying that, the previous winter I ran only Randy Oliver style Shop Towels and they all started collapsing mid winter. At which point I swapped the towels out for Bayvarol. I lost a few, but most recovered slowly. 

So, I don’t think you can blame OA alone. The Death Stips may just not be up to the job for other reasons. 

• Good Info 1

Good info, and gotta point out these are not Phils Staples.

What is this 40% i hear people talking about?

2 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Good info, and gotta point out these are not Phils Staples.

What is this 40% i hear people talking about?

If I may ....

40% oxalic acid / 60 % glycerine 

This is the ratio that Phil has settled on.

I don’t pretend to be clever enough to mix and soak the staples thoroughly enough , so some of us ask Phil to prepare them for us . 

Posted (edited)

OK understood. Yes I'm getting the mix from him also, just to make sure no screw ups! 😉

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

This has not been my experience this winter. All of my hives (only 30, but in six different apiaries) had Staples @ 40% over winter and have come through with flying colours. 

So, I don’t think you can blame OA alone. The Death Stips may just not be up to the job for other reasons. 

Our experience is similar to @Alastair 

we have ALOT of dead hives and hives that have dwindled down to a couple of frames of bees and small amount of brood.

our over wintered hives with the staples have mostly been impacted negatively whereas the spring hives with the staples were mostly good.

Only a few hives with high varroa numbers so in that respect the staples have done the job. 

Cant definitively says staples are the cause but have never seen our hives in this state before. Of course there could be something else going on as well it may have nothing to do with the staples. 

• Good Info 1