john berry

Varoa death strips

Yes i'll be interested to hear how that goes.

6 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Yeah, It’s still really warm during the days here so our bees haven’t clustered down yet. 

I’ve just finished a 2nd feed round and they’re sucking down the syrup pretty quickly. 

We have had really nasty westerlies over the last week .

After months of very little wind the bees have stayed in the hive .

They are more likely to fly in windless low temps than a fairly warm but very windy day .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alastair said:

Yes i'll be interested to hear how that goes.

There is a problem with the trial that will require that it runs into spring.
Here are two data photos of the same hive at 4 week intervals and you will note that the staple is not chewed.

This is an Autumn response to the Staple 

The spring response is far more aggressive so the efficacy trial which must include data on the staples ability to remain effective over a set period needs to include spring data.
Spring data will focus largely on the effects of chewing as there will be few mites in the hives

IMG_2971.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG

• Good Info 2

@Alastair how are the hives you treated that lost a lot of bees have they improved at all ?

Posted (edited)

When that last pic was taken they had insufficient stores so maybe a couple of weeks later i went back and gave each one 9 liters, i only checked a couple properly, nothing much had changed but they did have enough bees to take the syrup, and they certainly livened up within a few minutes, not quite as lethargic as i thought. Next visit to the apiary last week to dump some metal on the track, didn't pop any lids but saw that all the hives were active at the entrance, none are dead which must be good, i guess. 😎

Not planning to work them any time soon, but when i do I'll report back, i'll take another pic or two.

Edited by Alastair

Thanks @Alastair would love to hear how they look next time you go through them.

We are seeing similar things in our hives, strong hives now weak, hives with lots of tucker now hungry.

its been ridiculously warm here so far so that could explain the lack of feed on board and could also explain the weak hives. Or it could be the staples but because others are having no problems I think it’s probably unlikely. 

Where those hives hungry when you first checked them ?

No, they had a big bee population (at least one brood box choca with bees, or more) and a decent amount of feed. Both the bees, and the feed, largely disappeared. But they also had a large mite population. No signs of robbing.

Philbee's words from this thread on the subject were "In spring a significant percentage of hives will take a hit from OA /GL treatment.

However many good Beeks dont experience a hit but its a fact that some do.
It has been described as a check equal to one Brood cycle.
The Hives always bounce back very well and for some operations the check is seen as a means of swarm control
".

8 minutes ago, Alastair said:

No, they had a big bee population (at least one brood box choca with bees, or more) and a decent amount of feed. Both the bees, and the feed, largely disappeared. But they also had a large mite population. No signs of robbing.

Philbee's words from this thread on the subject were "In spring a significant percentage of hives will take a hit from OA /GL treatment.

However many good Beeks dont experience a hit but its a fact that some do.
It has been described as a check equal to one Brood cycle.
The Hives always bounce back very well and for some operations the check is seen as a means of swarm control
".

Hmm..
Not sure how my comments with regard Staples can be quoted in a topic about Death strips?
Are these death strips exactly the same as staples?

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Are these death strips exactly the same as staples?

Far as I can tell no, at least as far as the paperwork that comes with them says. The Death Strips also claim to have EO's added, although I was not able to detect any.

18 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Not sure how my comments with regard Staples can be quoted in a topic about Death strips?

You could answer that better than I, since it was you made the comment in the thread about Death Strips. Page 2.

Just to be clear, nobody including myself is saying that Death Strips are Philbees staples. Just, some commonalities have been discussed since they are both oxalic and glycerine based. No offense intended, just trying to learn, and I appreciate the honest answers you have given Philbee.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Alastair said:

Far as I can tell no, at least as far as the paperwork that comes with them says. The Death Strips also claim to have EO's added, although I was not able to detect any.

You could answer that better than I, since it was you made the comment in the thread about Death Strips. Page 2.

Just to be clear, nobody including myself is saying that Death Strips are Philbees staples. Just, some commonalities have been discussed since they are both oxalic and glycerine based. No offense intended, just trying to learn, and I appreciate the honest answers you have given Philbee.

Yes Ive had a look back and my comments relate to OA/GL treatments in the context of paper tape staples.

I know very little about the death strips other than they are probably a single row stitch triple laminate of gib tape.
I saw an ingredient list and they had a large number of ingredients in them and a claim that 2 would treat a box.

Its probably worth noting that the Staple has completed a trial via a Provisional Registration and the results of that trial are now in the hands of a Consultant being assembled into one of a number of data volumes.

Application is being made to extend the scope of the trial to include Spring application as its spring time when these devices are most aggressively chewed.
However the real test of effectiveness has been through this past late Summer into Autumn when the Hives were experiencing significant re invasion pressure.

• Like 3
  • Good Info 1

Good info Philbee, will be good to see the results once available.

Just a general observation that treatments that disturb the hives like thymol seem to cause Increased consumption of winter stores. I don't know if this is the case with death strips but you have to wonder.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1