john berry

Varoa death strips

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 1.41.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 1.42.14 PM.png

• Good Info 1

5 hours ago, Gabor said:

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 1.41.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 1.42.14 PM.png

what are the chances this has already been forwarded to MPI?

If you forget to cross a T or put the wrong date on a harvest declaration MPI will come down like a ton of bricks but you can sell untested honey extracted in an old chook house and they show no interest at all so  I'm guessing that even if somebody has informed them nothing will happen.

I am venting a little bit on this post as MPI have upset me twice too often this week.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/02/2019 at 9:32 PM, G Przybylski said:

So... does anybody make up the oxalic-acid shop-towels according to a Randy Oliver recipe?  Any success?

Personally I'm a non-treatment beekeeper from Oakland,  across the bay from San Fransisco.

Our local club is organizing a Local Bee Initiative where members will split their hives this spring to supply  bee-less members with local bees descended from locally collected swarms and cut-outs. Some of us see evidence that local bees control Varroa populations.  We're trying to reduce the influx of inapt genetics from the high-volume queen producers outside our geographic area.  If the Welsh beekeepers can do it, why not us?...

Jerry Przybylski

--- Oakland, Ca

Aye for sure Jerry.... the shop towels were our saviour the season before this one. ... we had 60% losses two springs ago. In My Exalted Opinion... IMEO ... they still have animportsnt place in control.

we have mived onto O/A staples in spring and autumn, and usef shop towels going into the flow , placrd on top of the brood snd under the QE. We have, onthe most part , this late summer hives exploding with bees and a shed bulging with honey.

proof enough.

I know Jason i am not sure if this is all legal but he is a straight up guy I have brought queens of him very good ones too. Now I know its him selling these I too will try them.

Put the death strips in some hives today will see how it goes in due course

Checked up on the death strip hives today and found this. As can be seen the clusters have got a lot smaller, and in some cases have moved away from the death strips. The bees also are noticeably lethargic.

VDS after.jpg

Shortly after installing the death strips i went back and did some alcohol washes, I was rather shocked to find high mite levels, up to 13 mites in a 300 bee sample. When i looked at them today, with the small lethargic clusters, and no brood, i was expecting the worst. But when i alcohol washed, in four hives i only got one mite, total. I decided that clearly, the strips have worked, so i did not bother washing any more bees.

The strips have not been chewed much, and i did a taste test and there is still plenty of OA in them.

Cost wise, 2 strips for weak hives but most hives got 3 strips, at just over $2 per strip.

Before i get shot down 😳, i am not endorsing the strips as i know they are technically illegal in the way they are currently being sold. I'm just reporting on the results as people may be interested, which i am quite pleased with. A better result than the apivar treated hives. (Although that could be my fault).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

@Alastair um I have probably missed something, why did you call them death strips?  just wondering.

They are marketed as Varroa Destructor Death Strips

Curious, do people using Phil's staples get lethargic bees and big drop in population?

43 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Curious, do people using Phil's staples get lethargic bees and big drop in population?

Some hives that quite likely have sick bees do have a sudden depopulation.

Using a synthetic treatment probably wouldn’t affect sick bees too much as the synthetics are approximately 1000 x more toxic to the mite rather  the the bee.

Oxalic I am guessing is closer to a bees threshold for toxic (organic and sythetic) exposure.

• Good Info 2

10 hours ago, Alastair said:

I’ve had a few do that. I fed them and they seem to be improving. I put it down to sick bees being killed by the treatment. No proof, just my gut feeling. As far as I’m concerned the hive is better off without them anyway. 

Long as it's not healthy bees getting killed. :|

Another observation, the hives have chowed through a heckuva lot of feed. Much more than justifies their current bee population.

• Good Info 1

Yeah, It’s still really warm during the days here so our bees haven’t clustered down yet. 

I’ve just finished a 2nd feed round and they’re sucking down the syrup pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alastair said:

It wasn't long ago Alistair that you made it clear that you didnt look in the OA /GL thread.

Maybe if you had you would be up to speed on the subject.
These death strips are nothing to do with me and they apparently use some sort of a oil/OA/GL mix.

Ill post for you some photos of twice seasonally  treated Staple Hives and you can then compare them with your Hive
These are typical of my hives

typical hive1.jpg

typical hive2.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Philbee said:

It wasn't long ago Alistair that you made it clear that you didnt look in the OA /GL thread.

Maybe if you had you would be up to speed on the subject.
These death strips are nothing to do with me and they apparently use some sort of a oil/OA/GL mix.

Ill post for you some photos of twice seasonally  treated Staple Hives and you can then compare them with your Hive
These are typical of my hives

typical hive1.jpg

typical hive2.jpg

Why do you have QE in ?

Looking fantastic by the way 👍😊

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the pictures Phil, and i'm sure all your hives are like that.

I'm not up to speed on your staples. So i asked the question.

Edited by Alastair

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Thanks for the pictures Phil, and i'm sure all your hives are like that.

I'm not up to speed on your staples. So i asked the question.

In spring a significant percentage of hives will take a hit from OA /GL treatment.

However many good Beeks dont experience a hit but its a fact that some do.
It has been described as a check equal to one Brood cycle.
The Hives always bounce back very well and for some operations the check is seen as a means of swarm control.
The consensus is that the check is the result of overwintered and sick bees dying off due to the stress of the treatment.

Its possible that some very young bees get nailed also.
To see a hive like the one in your photo at this time of the year would surprising  if it was a Staple hive and I would be looking past the treatment for answers.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Phil, most of that is the useful information i was seeking.

Edited by Alastair

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

Why do you have QE in ?

Looking fantastic by the way 👍😊

I leave the QE in for treating period as I didnt take any honey off.
If the QE comes off then the whole hive would require treating and the treatments would be in the honey supers.
The QE's are still on to this day

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I leave the QE in for treating period as I didnt take any honey off.
If the QE comes off then the whole hive would require treating and the treatments would be in the honey supers.
The QE's are still on to this day

Ah, exactly 😊

16 minutes ago, Philbee said:

The consensus is that the check is the result of overwintered and sick bees dying off due to the stress of the treatment.

Its possible that some very young bees get nailed also.

How about lethargy, do the bees get lethargic?

1 minute ago, Alastair said:

Not that I've ever seen ..... 

That sounds concerning 

10 minutes ago, Alastair said:

No not that Ive ever noticed or that anyone has ever reported.
The only lethargic Hive Ive seen this Autumn was a strong broodless double that had eaten out the stores in the lower box below a QE.
The top box was full of Honey but the Bees hadnt moved up so were hungry and weak.
This was in an untreated Control Hive so initially I thought the cause of the lethargy was due to Varroa but it actually had a low count 

Thanks that's good to know. I might give your staples a try next season.

How's the registration stuff going?

27 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Thanks that's good to know. I might give your staples a try next season.

How's the registration stuff going?

First data volume (efficacy trials) under way, plenty more to do