ApiNZ Levy Proposal

Commodity Levy - Voting Now Open

10 hours ago, Gerrit said:

And that makes it right when you ask somebody else to do it for you? Bottom line for me is that the database is used for other purpose than intended for, which makes it wrong!! Not good for your credibility.

Gerrit, yes that does make it right and legal and within the bounds of what the data base can be used for as our Lawyer, the MPI legal team, privacy commission and the Minister also read the document.  APINZ still dosent have eyes to look at it that is why others are doing it. Election NZ have to work with AFBPMP Board about how even Election NZ use it, Election NZ don't get to see the data base but they can ask for and get the info they need.

• Like 1

I'm with Dennis on this one. The database does contain highly sensitive commercial information but it can and is used for several things including twice a year to mail the New Zealand beekeeping magazine to every registered beekeeper. Generally there are good safeguards but these have been breached in the past, in at least one case very seriously with the publication of a map identifying apiarys sites but in general the use has been aboveboard and it is the only way there is to contact all registered beekeepers.

Apinz were certainly not keen to allow the use of the database for a New Zealand beekeeping Inc mail out.

Not sure whether that's using discrimination or censorship.

9 hours ago, Jamo said:

I will be voting yes as I can't stand the idea of going around in circles any longer.

This about sums it up.

Im voting yes also

• Like 1

the old man said that there use to be a levy on wool.  it was voted to be abolished 20 years ago.  the levy was there to pay some scientist to do research on wool to find more uses for it. and now twenty years later wool is a by-product with very little use.  cross bread wool only.   i would almost be for it just for future proofing the industry.  because i hate having to play the stressful manuka game.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Gerrit, yes that does make it right and legal and within the bounds of what the data base can be used for as our Lawyer, the MPI legal team, privacy commission and the Minister also read the document.  APINZ still dosent have eyes to look at it that is why others are doing it. Election NZ have to work with AFBPMP Board about how even Election NZ use it, Election NZ don't get to see the data base but they can ask for and get the info they need.

That's OK, Dennis, I accept, thanks.

• Like 2

Can somebody tell me how this levy is going to help me with my bussiness?

Sadly @Nuc_man it most probably won't in any form unless there are some miracle break throughs in research which I see as pretty unlikely in the near future. There is bio security etc etc etc if APINZ get the nod in the vote however for the smaller beek it will be a grim outlook I expect.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My horoscope this morning tells me to wander a little, as then I will unknowingly come across answers. I don't put too much thought into horoscopes, but to wander a little raises a thought.

Nuc man raises the question of what has the industry ever done for him ?  The retort is possibly " what has Nuc Man done for the industry "

We are all focused on "what will the levy do for  me" .... but for growth and progress we need to be focused not on  "what can he industry do for me, but what can I do for the industry"  . Yesbutt will correct me, but I think Churchill said that during the dark days of the forties.

The levy me be a rough shot at something, but it's a start.

At the moment we have three waring factions  - APINZ ,Beekeepers inc and a whole bevy of independents all clouding the issues.

Why not go for a wander today.   Step back and put your thoughts into perspective .....  

For me it's a yes vote. It's going to cost me a whole heap more cash that I could put to use elsewhere,  but if it means a  kick start at a unified industry for the 21 century then it's worth a go. And as i think many people who are trying to sell bees at the moment would agree, they need a strong industry to fund their retirement lifestyles.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Yesbutt will correct me, but I think Churchill said that during the dark days of the forties.

English history not my forte

7 hours ago, Nuc_man said:

I agre @Ali I have no idea how to keep paying for all these changes, levies ,acc, ever increasing wage bill what the dickens is goin on in this industry im 4th genaration representing 4000 hives in my distrect which is potentially 80% of the pollination and im goin to struggle (like many others) i still produce the same honey my great grandad produced and never have i seen a industry representative contact me other than asking for more money which dose not exist and has done nothing for us clover honey is clover honey. I guess i could start chasing manuka in the north add to the overpopulation issues .

So i ask agian how is this levy goin to help me ??

I've spent a life time moving with the times to keep my hives healthy i do my own r&d with whatever xtra cash i have.

I've never asked for help nor received it, but give advice freely if asked.

So now i need to pay for newbies that have overstocked , have no idea how to manage hives . I laugh at job ads looking for experienced beekeeper at least 2years ha no wounder the industry is in the ####.

Love love love this post 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

For me, I’d rather we have some shot at producing some useful research that may help to push the industry forward.

the proposal may not be perfect but it is a lot better than nothing.

I’m voting yes also

• Like 1

If you want shade you can plant a Tree

If at some stage early on you decide it was the wrong tree or that it was planted in the wrong place it can usually be transplanted or even cut down and  replaced with an alternative tree .
If no tree is planted in the first place then there will be no shade ever.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Philbee said:

If you want shade you can plant a Tree

If at some stage early on you decide it was the wrong tree or that it was planted in the wrong place it can usually be transplanted or even cut down and  replaced with an alternative tree .
If no tree is planted in the first place then there will be no shade ever.

By that synopsis , I’ve planted thousands of trees and it’s exactly as you describe . Some in the wrong place , others perfect .

It was all my money though . I never had funding and enjoyed the freedom of thinking I was making a difference in my business and around me .

I am really struggling to find any positives from the dairyNZ levy which is substantial , and I am very thankful to no longer pay 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jamesc said:

My horoscope this morning tells me to wander a little, as then I will unknowingly come across answers. I don't put too much thought into horoscopes, but to wander a little raises a thought.

Nuc man raises the question of what has the industry ever done for him ?  The retort is possibly " what has Nuc Man done for the industry "

We are all focused on "what will the levy do for  me" .... but for growth and progress we need to be focused not on  "what can he industry do for me, but what can I do for the industry"  . Yesbutt will correct me, but I think Churchill said that during the dark days of the forties.

The levy me be a rough shot at something, but it's a start.

At the moment we have three waring factions  - APINZ ,Beekeepers inc and a whole bevy of independents all clouding the issues.

Why not go for a wander today.   Step back and put your thoughts into perspective .....  

For me it's a yes vote. It's going to cost me a whole heap more cash that I could put to use elsewhere,  but if it means a  kick start at a unified industry for the 21 century then it's worth a go. And as i think many people who are trying to sell bees at the moment would agree, they need a strong industry to fund their retirement lifestyles.

jamesc, it was President J Kennedy "ask not what this country can do for me, but what can I do for this country". Yes its a start.

8 hours ago, Nuc_man said:

I agre @Ali I have no idea how to keep paying for all these changes, levies ,acc, ever increasing wage bill what the dickens is goin on in this industry im 4th genaration representing 4000 hives in my distrect which is potentially 80% of the pollination and im goin to struggle (like many others) i still produce the same honey my great grandad produced and never have i seen a industry representative contact me other than asking for more money which dose not exist and has done nothing for us clover honey is clover honey. I guess i could start chasing manuka in the north add to the overpopulation issues .

So i ask agian how is this levy goin to help me ??

I've spent a life time moving with the times to keep my hives healthy i do my own r&d with whatever xtra cash i have.

I've never asked for help nor received it, but give advice freely if asked.

So now i need to pay for newbies that have overstocked , have no idea how to manage hives . I laugh at job ads looking for experienced beekeeper at least 2years ha no wounder the industry is in the ####.

Nuc-man, maybe the industry can gain from you. People like you are whom we need to be on the board to help steer the industry where it needs to go. We have 6 years to make a change to beekeepers back pockets, that includes selling our other honey/products around the world message. Yes you may be like a lot of us that actully dont need any help as we are established, but one day I will move on and I want a vibrant industry that I can then pass on my business and also its about giving back so those NZrs who want to become beekeepers and enjoy the job/lifestyle I have can have the same opportunities. I came into this industry when we were on the verge of this new honey the world wanted and it has been an interesting ride, but now we have the world wanting what we have got and now we need to defend that some how and also find the next idea/story that propels us forward again. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, M4tt said:

By that synopsis , I’ve planted thousands of trees and it’s exactly as you describe . Some in the wrong place , others perfect .

It was all my money though . I never had funding and enjoyed the freedom of thinking I was making a difference in my business and around me .

I am really struggling to find any positives from the dairyNZ levy which is substantial , and I am very thankful to no longer pay 

M4tt, yes you may feel like that now and i agree i think fonterra/dairy industry has become stale, but for many years before the levy went into lots of research that is now just common sense.

thats the thing with any levy system is that you have to keep changing, Zespri is a good example of forever thinking of the next thing, but they to could become stale if they are not careful. That dosen't mean a levy is of no use, imagine where those industies would be now if they didn't have them, there are dairy and hort industries in other countries that don't match ours for progressive ideas and value to the producer. 

Edited by Dennis Crowley
  • Like 1

I am kinda stuck on the fence.  

I think/feel belonging to a larger group could be a good thing. United has got to be better than separate- only if we are agreeable (which beekeepers are often not, hence low uptake of joining groups).  I am not going to join for the sake of 'good' vibes though. As Bushy mentioned, once APINZ is voted in, well that's it. 

Although, as non manuka producer and self employed worker within the beekeeping industry I think that what I would want APINZ to achieve won't compete with the desires from stronger influences.  Protection of manuka is going to be a front and center. Makes logical sense, that's were the money is.  And for those 10 cents is okay.  I do think that APiNZ could be influenced by loud/strong beekeepers with their own agendas. 

Also, not happy having to pay a levy with unsold honey in the shed.  Feels so wrong.  

Thanks Dennis for your inputs.  

And I have managed so far, without much help at all.  

• Like 2

Thought for the morning

drop the 10c/kg levy

replace with 10%of kilo sale price

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Thought for the morning

drop the 10c/kg levy

You realise that’s higher than 10 cents per kg? 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Thought for the morning

drop the 10c/kg levy

too late. Good idea though.  Probably % too high.  

If it was a %/kg, with manuka included, would think 1% would be nearer the mark, and it will initially be the manuka faction that gains the most first.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

If it was a %/kg, with manuka included, would think 1% would be nearer the mark, and it will initially be the manuka faction that gains the most first.

Somewhere between half to one percent should be about right 

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, jamesc said:

Thought for the morning

drop the 10c/kg levy

more like 1.5% of kg sale price