ApiNZ Levy Proposal

Commodity Levy - Voting Now Open

After considerable consultation and meetings with beekeepers around the country, along with ongoing communications through all our channels, including this forum, it is good to see the final voting papers get mailed out this week. 

We have appreciated your feedback both on this forum and throughout our levy consultation.  In shaping up the final proposal we have listened to beekeepers, been responsive to the questions asked and acted on feedback. As a result, we have a commodity levy proposal that is sound, practical and will deliver. If the levy is voted in ApiNZ will become a commodity levy organisation, one that gives levy payers a strong voice in how their funds are spent (both through majority board representation and voting on funds). 

The vote is only for those beekeepers with 26 hives or more, that is those who hold over 95% of all hives. Non commercial/hobbyists represent around 3.4% of all hives.   

Voting is easy and only takes a short time.  You can vote on line or by post.  Instructions for both options are contained in the voting pack.

Because the election is being run independently, questions relating to voting forms and voting should be directed to ElectioNZ. Most beekeepers with 26 hives or more should have voting papers by now. 

If for any reason you have 26 hives or more and did not get a voting form by 1 February 2019, please call ElectioNZ on 0800 398 683 or by email at iro@electionz.com

It is crucial that all votes are in by midday Friday 1 March.

You can read more about the levy proposal here: www.apinz.org.nz/levy

We are happy to answer any of your levy questions here on this forum, or by email at levy@apinz.org.nz

33 minutes ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

If the levy is voted in ApiNZ will become a commodity levy organisation, 

Says it all really. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

If the levy is voted in ApiNZ will become a commodity levy organisation

So this is the master plan to save us all ?

As I said when apinz was being formed and NBA being done away.

Jobs for the boys

with people said best thing for beekeeper to be heard . Now we going to have a organization  to collect levy.

I think more jobs for the boys and less being done to help ave beekeeper .

Time to sweep the dead wood out and get new blood in from the grass roots the real beekeeper out in the field  to take control before it's to late 

• Like 3

True ... but the "Real Beekeepers" don't have the time to to swan around at meetings. 

AS an aside, anyone watching the trademe auction for hundreds of hives up in Northland ...... cheap as chips ..... ?

Edited by jamesc

10 minutes ago, jamesc said:

True ... but the "Real Beekeepers" don't have the time to to swan around at meetings. 

AS an aside, anyone watching the trademe auction for hundreds of hives up in Northland ...... cheap as chips ..... ?

$380/hive on site ..... did not sell .?

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, jamesc said:

$380/hive on site ..... did not sell .?

Interesting times ...

@ApiNZ Levy Proposalit would be nice if you introduced yourself by name. Hi, I’m Bron Coppin,....

Interesting times alright .... Canterbury bees are on the nectar again.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Ours are on the fennel :( 

8 hours ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

We are happy to answer any of your levy questions here on this forum, or by email at levy@apinz.org.nz

On your voting you state: "All registered hive owners with 26 or more hives registered as at 31 December 2018 are entitled to vote. Hive numbers will be verified against the AFBPMP database as at 31 December 2018"

Is that not illegal use of the AFBPMP database. The proposed levy has nothing to do with the AFBPMP, and in my view should not be used for that.

And Dennis Crowley sort of confirmed this with his posting below:

image.thumb.png.8a46e5826de7fba52afef85f67cd5fd0.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, jamesc said:

What are they on now James?

The Hives are all over the place this season 

Well ..... It was that stinking hot today I left the boys in the extracting shed and went for a cruise in the aircon ...... little singles up in the bush that were bursting with bees and had a second brood box put on a week ago were bursting again so I had to get out of the aircon and undersupered with a third second brood box as I probably would'nt be back to look at them for a few weeks.

Bees at West melton were on a flow yesterday ..... clover ish ..... and the foothills cell builders and sluggards were pumping on clover.

And we were shaking more nectar from the brood on the Coast on Friday......  clover.

Hows the Rata looking Big Hands .....?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gerrit said:

On your voting you state: "All registered hive owners with 26 or more hives registered as at 31 December 2018 are entitled to vote. Hive numbers will be verified against the AFBPMP database as at 31 December 2018"

Is that not illegal use of the AFBPMP database. The proposed levy has nothing to do with the AFBPMP, and in my view should not be used for that.

Agree data base conflict is a concern.

Also I need confirmation from anyone what happens to my voting papers if the hive number I put on voting form is not Exactly the same as apiary register.

It is a legal requirement to register all apiary sites, but on any given day actual hive numbers are going up or down. How many people remembered to update the register on the nucs boxed up Christmas Eve.

Do I use the number in my personal apiary log which is actually a few less, or number on register at 31st December. Is my vote valid if this number is different

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

i've been watching a lot of trademe beehive auctions the last few months. Very few are selling. Decent deal had in wellington for five hives plus kit and spares for $1100 a while back, i was tempted as it was close to below cost for the hardware even without the bees

Edited by tommy dave
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beeman1 said:

Time to sweep the dead wood out and get new blood in from the grass roots the real beekeeper out in the field  to take control before it's to late 

just so long as the knights in shining armour aren't beekeepers with fewer than five years of experience and 300 hives losing money

9 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Says it all really. 

1 hour ago, Gerrit said:

No Gerrit, it is not against the AFBPMP use, we have gone to the minister and MPI legal team to make sure, all above board. APINZ doe's not have access to the data base election NZ does for a specific purpose.

Frazz yes this will make APINZ a Commodity Levy Industry, just like the NBA was when we spent all that money on research and marketing etc on Manuka, lets hope we can now do that for the rest of NZ honey.

Edited by Dennis Crowley
  • Like 2
  • Good Info 1

1 hour ago, Bron said:

@ApiNZ Levy Proposalit would be nice if you introduced yourself by name. Hi, I’m Bron Coppin,....

Bron it came from the Andrew our policy analyst who is on the board with the permission of the board.

2 hours ago, Beeman1 said:

So this is the master plan to save us all ?

As I said when apinz was being formed and NBA being done away.

Jobs for the boys

with people said best thing for beekeeper to be heard . Now we going to have a organization  to collect levy.

I think more jobs for the boys and less being done to help ave beekeeper .

Beeman, no jobs for the boys or girls here, Im out in the field and its bloody hot.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

bloody

Yep Dennis  you are one of the few that are . I take my hat off to you for the efforts you put in 

Thanks

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

No Gerrit, it is not against the AFBPMP use, we have gone to the minister and MPI legal team to make sure, all above board. APINZ doe's not have access to the data base election NZ does for a specific purpose.

And that makes it right when you ask somebody else to do it for you? Bottom line for me is that the database is used for other purpose than intended for, which makes it wrong!! Not good for your credibility.

Edited by Gerrit
  • Disagree 1

I think we need to look at the big picture here people. We can either all put our hands in our pockets and pull out a few pennies to toss into a half decient sized bucket and make a few things happen, or we can do nothing and stay the same disjointed bunch of missfits that can't seam to get much done that we have been for the last 20 yrs.

I will be voting yes as I can't stand the idea of going around in circles any longer.

We need to keep things simple. Either a levy which is molded by the levy payers to make things happen, or no levy and no change any time soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Two more hives and I would have 26 and I would vote yes!  My beekeeping has been learnt mainly from this forum, conferences and any research on bees I can find.  Maybe I will just donate a levy anyway.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

The vote is only for those beekeepers with 26 hives or more, that is those who hold over 95% of all hives. Non commercial/hobbyists represent around 3.4% of all hives.

I never realised just how massive commercial numbers are. I’d be interested to know what percentage of registered beekeepers >26 hives. 

1 minute ago, Josh said:

I never realised just how massive commercial numbers are. I’d be interested to know what percentage of registered beekeepers >26 hives. 

answers to loads of questions you didn't now you had here: https://landusenz.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/2017-Apiculture-monitoring-report-FINAL.pdf

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

answers to loads of questions you didn't now you had

These reports are published annually on the Forum; have been since 2009.

• Agree 1