CraBee

Is the Waikato clover yielding?

3 minutes ago, CraBee said:

@M4tt et al?

Yes. Mine have put about a box and a half on, into predawn frames. Not a big crop but there are a lot of hives around to support so it’s not bad . It will be a clover/catsear mix. 

Penny Royal is flowering but there is hardly any of it . Just the odd plant here and there. 

Edited by M4tt

Do you think it will go on for much longer?   Am thinking about putting an @jamesc road train together and heading South.  

3 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Do you think it will go on for much longer?   Am thinking about putting an @jamesc road train together and heading South.  

No I don’t think so. The Waikato is looking parched from where I can see and it’s burning off .

Depends where you are heading .

Id expect my bees to start eating their honey very soon 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CraBee said:

@M4tt's neighbour has a good spot just by his boundary !

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, yesbut said:

@M4tt's neighbour has a good spot just by his boundary !

He can put them here for the right money ?

In fact @CraBee, I could save  you the truck  and sell you my FD hives with honey still on ?

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 2

Drying out in Putaruru as well. Honey is coming off next week. Bees can fill out their brood boxes with what is left of the flow.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Righto ta all, back to Plan A then.  Splits and more splits.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Righto ta all, back to Plan A then.  Splits and more splits.  

Good dew spots just south  of Porter's Pass

• Haha 1

Would be great cruising through there in a motorhome at the moment. 

Motorbikes the only sane form of transport these days. Oh, I forgot you're a northener used to swarms ahead and fleets of tailgaters behind

• Haha 1

I agree things have really dried up.  3 weeks ago I was sick of rain...now where is the rain..aye the life of a farmer.  We are getting patchy regrowth on our paddocks now. 

Lovely rain for the last 48 hours in Manawatu.

Now we need the warm weather again.

Raining this morning.

No rain in the Far North since Christmas, none forecast either. Getting dry!

we haven’t had any decent rain since before Christmas either. 

• Agree 1

I can't remember rain. Been bucketing grey water around for ages.

Getting dry here too , but we are almost in feb now with a bit of feed still ahead for the farmers . The clover flowered really well , but so has the lotus , so I’m presuming the is what is giving the honey a nice golden glow . I have just started a batch of mead from said honey , so all going well we should have something to smile about in a few months ! 

The hives that did a full depth of honey in mid dec are now filling their third , after scraping back to bare plastic frames each time , so that compares with about 3 seasons ago . I’m running one fd brood and one fd super . As long as the flow is spread out a bit it seems to work ok . 

• Like 4

On 28/01/2019 at 8:43 AM, Jas said:

I have just started a batch of mead

I have also.  2 batches.  I tried my making mead a number of years ago and it was not very nice!  Fingers and toes crossed, the airlock in one is bubbling nicely and the other not at all, just a bit of positive pressure.  I suspect a leak some place in the old brew container as I can hear the mus fizzling.  Used 2 different yeasts.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I have also.  2 batches.  I tried my making mead a number of years ago and it was not very nice!  Fingers and toes crossed, the airlock in one is bubbling nicely and the other not at all, just a bit of positive pressure.  I suspect a leak some place in the old brew container as I can hear the mus fizzling.  Used 2 different yeasts.   

Last year I tried adding plums to one batch , and feijoa to another .they turned out ok , might try blackberries in some this year. I’m a bit worried the high temps might affect the current batch , but one can only try . I don’t think there will be a honey shortage for experimenting anyway . 

• Like 1

On 31/01/2019 at 7:22 PM, Gino de Graaf said:

We had a batch (using natural yeast...) that was horrible for four years. But I persevered with a six monthly tasting when all of a sudden it turned into nectar of the gods!

be patient glasshopper 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

We had a batch (using natural yeast...) that was horrible for four years. But I persevered with a six monthly tasting when all of a sudden it turned into nectar of the gods!

be patient glasshopper 

thats fairly typical depending a bit on what sort it is.

poorly fermented mead tends to require more aging time, but some meads like plum mead needs about 4 years reguardless.

On 28/01/2019 at 8:43 AM, Jas said:

I have just started a batch of mead from said honey , so all going well we should have something to smile about in a few months !

i doubt that. mead requires lengthy aging time.

the actual brewing can be done in a week or so.

i've still got a couple of carboys here to bottle that are 5 years old now.

Talk to @Jayabout mead
Outstanding 

9 hours ago, tristan said:

thats fairly typical depending a bit on what sort it is.

poorly fermented mead tends to require more aging time, but some meads like plum mead needs about 4 years reguardless.

i doubt that. mead requires lengthy aging time.

the actual brewing can be done in a week or so.

i've still got a couple of carboys here to bottle that are 5 years old now.

Ive got good tasting meads that are ready to drink easily within 60 to 90 days. 

The higher the alcohol content the longer is takes to age; my 7 - 8 % stuff is good to go pretty quick, fermenting is done within 10 to 15 days; my 12 - 14% is fermented within 21 days and is ok to drink after 3 months, longer time aging makes it better too and I usually age for 6 to 12 months depending upon the flavour profiles in it. 

Theres a lot to making it but techniques have changed rapidly in the last few years. 

New Zealand hasn't seen modern mead....... yet!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Ive got good tasting meads tIat are ready to drink  easily within 60 to 90 days. 

The higher the alcohol content the longer is takes to age; my 7 - 8 % stuff is good to go pretty quick, fermenting is done within 10 to 15 days; my 12 - 14% is fermented within 21 days and is ok to drink after 3 months, longer time aging makes it better too and I usually age for 6 to 12 months depending upon the flavour profiles in it. 

Theres a lot to making it but techniques have changed rapidly in the last few years. 

Is it dry or sweet ?

I have never tasted mead that i Would want a second glass of.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Ive got good tasting meads that are ready to drink easily within 60 to 90 days. 

Care to share?  What yeast did you use? Nutrients? What techniques have changed? Cheers

• Agree 1