Bron

Sooo, our voting papers came

I have just read the blurb that came with the voting papers. 

So by the time we give the government their whack and ApiNZ their whack, if I’m lucky we might have 35 to 45% left to maintain our lifestyle, our chosen career. 

We we live in interesting times.

As it says at the top of the voting paper, “Voting will take you just a few minutes.”

A levy will last a lifetime.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bron said:

A levy will last a lifetime

And like GST it won’t stay at 10c kg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 26 January 2019 at 3:17 PM, Bron said:

I have just read the blurb that came with the voting papers. 

So by the time we give the government their whack and ApiNZ their whack, if I’m lucky we might have 35 to 45% left to maintain our lifestyle, our chosen career. 

We we live in interesting times.

As it says at the top of the voting paper, “Voting will take you just a few minutes.”

A levy will last a lifetime.

Bron, not a life time but that would be nice, commodity levies gets voted on every 6 years, so we have 6 years to make a big contribution or it can be voted out in 6 years.

9 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Bron, not a life time but that would be nice, commodity levies gets voted on every 6 years, so we have 6 years to make a big contribution or it can be voted out in 6 years.

I think we are at the top of the crest for numbers of commercial beekeepers - particularly small to medium, in six years there will be a far greater power base in the corporate sector, as already they are gobbling up the small guys by fair means and foul. The only thing that could impact that could modify that is the outcome of the Ngae Tahu / Watson court proceedings.

1 hour ago, Sailabee said:

I think we are at the top of the crest for numbers of commercial beekeepers - particularly small to medium, in six years there will be a far greater power base in the corporate sector, as already they are gobbling up the small guys by fair means and foul. The only thing that could impact that could modify that is the outcome of the Ngae Tahu / Watson court proceedings.

Sailabee, yet in the last week i have been approached by 3 people who want to become commercial beekeepers, there will always be those that want a change of direction from their jobs and yes some will sell out to bigger businesses, but that is commerce.

3 hours ago, Sailabee said:

Not sure I agree with this (although I am no business expert).

Corporate beekeeping (I like @john berry's definition of a beekeeping business run on someone else's money) has only come through on the back of very high honey prices. I am not convinced this model is sustainable or profitable with lower honey prices. I think there will be more that just a place for the smaller, family business which used to be the norm and that these will likely out-compete the corporate model. I think a well run smaller business is very competitive as it does not have layers of managers that need to be paid.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Otto said:

Not sure I agree with this (although I am no business expert).

Corporate beekeeping (I like @john berry's definition of a beekeeping business run on someone else's money) has only come through on the back of very high honey prices. I am not convinced this model is sustainable or profitable with lower honey prices. I think there will be more that just a place for the smaller, family business which used to be the norm and that these will likely out-compete the corporate model. I think a well run smaller business is very competitive as it does not have layers of managers that need to be paid.

I agree that that will become the long-term situation, but as with the Fonterra model, we will see many small and medium size businesses bought up in the short term but as with one entity owning over 100,000 cows, the penny will drop, and hopefully sanity will once again prevail. I remember the international president of Apimondia Gill Ratia (I think) speaking at the 2011 conference saying that the thing better than one entity with 60,000 hives, is 60,000 entities each with one. Bit extreme, but gives an idea of what is best for the bees. I doubt that in nature there has ever been 2000 feral colonies in a small area of pine trees, and that is the size of corporate dump sites around here.