yesbut

What is an acceptable margin

OK .... so , a big NO to APINZ from the general consenus.

Where to now  Kimosabe ? Are we resigned to being like that little tribe in the long African grass who kept jumping up and down yelling  ...."Where the #### are we "

8 minutes ago, M4tt said:

No, not at all.

It means that from experience , throwing money at a group is by no means a guarantee that they have the knowledge, power, experience or know-how to return anything positive from the investment.

OK .... so sack them and find better people....

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

OK .... so , a big NO to APINZ from the general consenus.

Where to now  Kimosabe ? Are we resigned to being like that little tribe in the long African grass who kept jumping up and down yelling  ...."Where the #### are we "

I believe 100% in a levy.  

I do not believe it should be 10c and possibly raising to 15 c is unjustifiable. 

I do not believe that APiNZ  is the body to administer the levy.

So my No vote is not against the levy, but against ApiNZ.

I also do not have a answer as to who should administer the levy.  An independent body??

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks

@jamesc have you seen the percentage of the levy allocated to marketing ?

good luck with taking our honeys to the world 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I do not believe it should be 10c and possibly raising to 15 c is justifiable. 

I also do not have a answer as to who should administer the levy.  An independent body??

That is the problem with politics. More often than not , of all the options on the table, none are any good.

There are no other obvious answers to the current levy issue. How to collect it and who should control the coffers have all the wrong answers in my opinion .

Being non politically minded, I have no solutions at this stage . I can just see what I believe to be the wrong answers.

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@jamesc have you seen the percentage of the levy allocated to marketing ?

good luck with taking our honeys to the world 

E5698A59-DBA3-4E8E-85DE-08123F5CC94A.jpeg

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I do not believe it should be 10c and possibly raising to 15 c is justifiable. 

Justifiable or unjustifiable?

1 minute ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Justifiable or unjustifiable?

Fixed.  = unjustifiable.

Thanks

On 24/01/2019 at 12:19 PM, yesbut said:

As the OP I was  trying to tease out opinions on what was acceptable as a margin (on any product) before it became (if ever) a case of greed and ripping off. I shouldn't have mentioned honey.

In the restaurant industry the cost of your meal was 1/3 food ,operating  costs 1/3, profit 1/3 well it was the aim but theres always variables.today I believe the word used is ripoff for most things as everybody eexpects a new house boat etc etc.

8 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I do not believe it should be 10c and possibly raising to 15 c is unjustifiable. 

how much do you think a levy should be?

and should it be paid at point of extraction?

how do you suggest forming an independent body?

could be the genesis of a solution in the answers to these questions

40 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

how much do you think a levy should be?

and should it be paid at point of extraction?

how do you suggest forming an independent body?

could be the genesis of a solution in the answers to these questions

I think 5C upper limit would be OK. But it would be better as say 1 c per $ of honey sold.  Just as forestry has a tonnage fee, not a per log fee.  This way high value honey and low value honey would pay the same percentage.

It should be paid at point of Sale. (Collected by the Packer)

I don't know how to start an independent body.  But I know it should not be. ApiNZ or NZ Beekeeping or SNI Group.

We need to be talked to not talked at to get this Levy through.

• Like 3

I believe that the levy for lambs is 70 cents/head, and lambs selling are at least $100, says it all.

Edited by Sailabee
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

I believe that the levy for lambs is 70 cents/head, and lambs selling are at least $100, says it all.

Does full blown honey extraction/packing/rmp etc etc give a head start to anyone wanting to sell homekill ?

4 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Does full blown honey extraction/packing/rmp etc etc give a head start to anyone wanting to sell homekill ?

Not without paying yet another Kings Ransom for yet another RMP for a completely separate setup - you must know it is never that easy - or cheap.

5 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Legally you can’t sell homekill that is processed . 

You must be involved in its daily management for at least 28 days prior to slaughter to qualify to homekill . 

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 2

On 26 January 2019 at 12:17 PM, Ali said:

Absolutely @Dennis Crowley, just the sort of response I expect from an APINZ believer. Arrogantly telling me what I need to do but not being open, transparent or informative in addressing the matters that concern a lot of folk.

IF....APINZ had presented a well constructed, comprehensive, transparent, clear and definitive proposal to beekeepers there would not be the disquiet that presently abounds.

It is my view that the levy matter is more about APINZ's survival than it is about good for the industry along with the furthering of the vested interests of the larger of the currently established membership.

The research funding angle is an emotive issue which in my mind is indeed manipulative and a convenient vehicle for APINZ to ride on. The lack of clear intention of the use of these large funds in the proposal and who may be the beneficiaries of the largess is unprofessional and misguided in my view.

In all APINZ has put up a poor showing in presenting their proposal for capture of the industry and should the levy proceed we will rue the day.

Ali, if the vote is a yes, then the levy will be on next seasons honey production due to the time it takes to get through govt, so the amount of funding to come in will be not for another year/season, in the interim there is the extra levy paying board members for the industry to vote onto the board and then the discussions on where the funding has to be spent. nothing has been decided yet. 

On 26 January 2019 at 1:06 PM, Gino de Graaf said:

Hi Dennis, did APINZ consider using the 'buyer' point levy collection at all?  (the buyer of bulk honey collects the levy and passes it on) Seems common enough in the other primary industries.  

Yes we looked at a lot of different ideas, but the problem is the further away from extraction point you have to spend more money on auditing and collection fees. lots of honey buyers in nz and all over the country and just as we decided that asking extractors to pay was to difficult to administer, asking buyers was just as problematic.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Trevor, you all are forgetting that we all get to vote more levy paying board members onto the board to decide where/how to spend the levy, not APINZ. APINZ is just a vehicle that is already equipped to proceed but it is the levy payers who will decide its direction. Stand back and thing about that as that is what you are all after.

30 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Trevor, you all are forgetting that we all get to vote more levy paying board members onto the board to decide where/how to spend the levy, not APINZ. APINZ is just a vehicle that is already equipped to proceed but it is the levy payers who will decide its direction. Stand back and thing about that as that is what you are all after.

The vote takes into account hive numbers, my concern is the regular jo beekeeper is out hived by the big players so they will get to decide where the levy goes.

Apart from that there’s also the guys that have climbed on the Manuka wagon with no real beekeeping skills, wIll my levy be spent on teaching them how to beekeep.

Ive been doing some serious and in depth research on the healing properties of Bush Honey.

While not absolutely conclusive, I have reason to believe that Bush Honey has some extraordinary healing Qualities.

The attached photo was taken on the 3rd January  and after everyone has absorbed the seriousness of this injury  Ill post a photo of the finger as it is tonight.

There was no medical assistance sort and the only topical dressing was Bush honey. 

I was working again within 15mins of the accident

finger.jpg

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, flash4cash said:

@Philbee OMG.  Try to find the right emoji but i could not find one. 

Its nothing Flash

The Honey made the whole thing grow back in 3 weeks.
Just in case anyone doubts the authenticity of this photo, consider how many Beeks watching this forum have seen the dressing on my finger.

5 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Its nothing Flash

The Honey made the whole thing grow back in 3 weeks.
Just in case anyone doubts the authenticity of this photo, consider how many Beeks watching this forum have seen the dressing on my finger.

Here it is today, 24 days later

new finger.jpg

• Like 2

Wow!! Got a pic of the the finger before reattachment?

I love how in the heat of the moment you though...need pics.

4 minutes ago, flash4cash said:

before reattachment?

Na mate, I fed the finger to the dog,

There was no reattachment, where are the stitch marks???

Edited by Philbee
  • Haha 2