I split a hive 3 days ago, made sure the queen was in the bottom box and ensured the brood was allgood. I did a graft on the "queenless" hive with 9 queen cups. Today I go through my "queenless" hive and had about 2 or 3 frames with fresh eggs with 2-3 day old larvae. I was stumped because I made sure she was in the other hive. Surely enough I go and have a look at the other hive and it had fresh eggs and she was definitely in there. So I go back to my other hive to really search for a queen and couldn't find one. My graft failed miserably which sucked but this would be a solid sign of laying workers is that correct?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or the eggs that you see in the split were laid three days ago and are only just hatching into larvae.  And the grafts failed - which happens more often than not when you start out.

Probably 2 queens in the hive you split- mother and daughter most likely, happens more often than you think.

You may have missed seeing the freshly laid eggs when you first split the hive and put the queen in the bottom box. Remember that freshly laid eggs stand upright in the cell..... as the egg matures an

25 minutes ago, Steviegreer said:

My graft failed miserably which sucked but this would be a solid sign of laying workers is that correct?

After three days that seems unlikely. The one time I’ve seen a laying worker there were 6 of 7 eggs per cell all messily sprinkled everywhere and in a grotty pattern. 

The hive also sounded different to a proper one and when opened up the bees were very flighty, taking to the air in large numbers once opened.

Its the only one I’ve seen though.

33 minutes ago, Steviegreer said:

I split a hive 3 days ago, made sure the queen was in the bottom box and ensured the brood was allgood. I did a graft on the "queenless" hive with 9 queen cups. Today I go through my "queenless" hive and had about 2 or 3 frames with fresh eggs with 2-3 day old larvae. I was stumped because I made sure she was in the other hive. Surely enough I go and have a look at the other hive and it had fresh eggs and she was definitely in there. So I go back to my other hive to really search for a queen and couldn't find one. My graft failed miserably which sucked but this would be a solid sign of laying workers is that correct?

Probably 2 queens in the hive you split- mother and daughter most likely, happens more often than you think.

• Agree 2

It didnt have the best brood pattern but had a lot of eggs for 3 days. I searched high and low for the second queen in the split box. Oh well, pretty stoked about that then if I got both of them! Just gutted my graft went horribly wrong. Just thought the odds of that happening on my very first split ever

You may have missed seeing the freshly laid eggs when you first split the hive and put the queen in the bottom box. Remember that freshly laid eggs stand upright in the cell..... as the egg matures and is close to hatching the egg effectively is seen lying flat on the bottom of the cell. Therefore you could have missed seeing the fresh laid eggs in the frame that you put in the top box.... making the evidence of what you found when you opened up the top box after 3 days perfect timing. 

There are several ways to eliminate this happening and it all comes down to counting the days in the lead-up to a graft. 

Edited by silverhope
  • Agree 1