James Withington

Hive monitoring systems

I note that coming onto the market are a number of remote hive monitoring applications. These are designed to enable beekeepers to log in and download what is going on within their hives remotely. Some of the companies offering these products include 

www.hivekeepers.com

www.broodminder.com

www.soultionbee.com etc etc

Different products offer a range of data and when part of a total package which includes a set of scales can provide additional information such as the fluctuating weight of a hive.  The costs as you can imagine vary depending on the make or model of the application purchased. As an example, Broodminder offers two internal monitoring devices.

The first is the BroodMinder-T2 internal hive monitor, which costs $29USD each. This measures the internal temperature within the brood chamber, whereas the next model up the  BroodMinder-TH internal hive monitor, costing $59USD offers the additional measurement of humidity within the brood chamber. 

Has anyone purchased or looked into these applications at all or using them and can report back on how they find their functionality and value for money, please.

They sound like must haves for beeks who already have weather stations....

• Like 2

somebody is making tons of money(?) out of $4 microcontrollers and $3 sensors... ok, also needs a bit of coding. How beekeepers are coping without these things for hundreds of years I wonder.

Most commercials are not living close to their sites, what would they do when they see the temp has dropped 0.1deg at the brood chamber? Or humidity changes a percent or two... Having a lot of data doesn't mean you have information. They should put tiny cameras into the hives and one can check from home it is still dark inside the hive...

Books don't need batteries and taking a look is the best way to monitor. All my records are on an apiary level and only include vital information using a lot of abbreviations. Time taken to fill in book would normally be less than 30 seconds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, john berry said:

Books don't need batteries and taking a look is the best way to monitor. All my records are on an apiary level and only include vital information using a lot of abbreviations. Time taken to fill in book would normally be less than 30 seconds.

Agree with John, also knowing the hives before they are placed on site, knowing what the flowering looking like at sites, watching weather patterns while hives on site and if worried/interested a tank of gas and some hours of time I get all the info required.

• Like 1