jamesc

Making Movies

I've always wanted to make a movie.

A few years ago there was a doco on the TV about " The last Beekeeper". It chronicled the lives of three different bee operations that moved hive  into California for the almond pollination.

There was the young fellah from Washington whose hives were rejected because they were too weak. And there was the woman whose Dad had died but she moved his 2000 hives , only most were dead when they arrived. And there were the two gay guys from Florida who had success, only their relationship split up, to which the Alpha males response was " plenty more pretty boys out there"!

A while back  I bought  an old smoker in a junk shop . It was made of brass sheet, and when polished up had a golden tinge. The movie back then was to be called " The man with the Golden smoker", and was an attempt to chronicle the days in the life of a beekeeper over the season, A'la "The last beekeeper".  I still have a lot of the video footage, but it needs editing.

For the last week or two we have been on the run over to the Coast and back. We took our two Austrian woofers over this week. It was stunningly beautifull in the  early dawn heading south and  the views of Mt Cook rising out of the  morning mist  of the Kakapotahi river .

But the road was absolute mayhem.

So the new movie should be on the the lines of 'Goodbye Pork Pie' . A road trip to the gold fields of Ross.....?

It features the scenery, and the road, and the travellers. The space ship freedom campers who ride the brakes all the way, oblivious to the traffic piled up behind them , and the juicy campers who have a speed limiter set at 45k's ..... and the other wicked vans who ask me if I wish my wife was this dirty as we ride their back bumper on a blind corner. And somewhere there is a place for the commercial truckies from Stillwater who cruise the road at 110kph, or pass you in  the dead of night at Candy's bend  and make it look easy . And at the end of the day as we unwind at the Empire  there are the german campers ....the blonde twenty somethings who want to party all night.

Some where in the movie has to be a  scene with the push bikes ..... perhaps  on the West Coast Wilderness trail ..... the one where the push biker pauses to watch real live Bee keepers at work as they manouvre their fully loaded truck out of a wilderness swamp, with mud flying and engine roaring..... only the push biker does'nt  comprehend that he is in the firing line for getting flattened as the Big MAN , which is short for Mechanic Always Needed  leaps towards him with full revs  ....and full air blaring out of  the Airhorn.

And lets not leave out  our new found mate from 'Trump Trucking' who has a wicked wit and derides the main Man movie star and his truck for not having a high split, and whose answer to the Juicy problem is getting close up and personal with his  big horn. But then, thats what you'd expect from a bloke who drives a DAF ..... Dumb As F.

Hmmm ....

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

And of course, being a kiwi movie, thete had to ne sheep somewhere

3446735A-05F4-4C12-8627-1A885A674510.jpeg

• Like 4

I like it.. specially after spending all night bouncin round tight farm tracks in a big truck that’s loaded to the hilt with little insects with worn wingtips from paying my mortgage.. 

if I wasn’t so tired I’d write the sequel.. 

you get hold of any drums yet? 

I'll give Daniel a call today.....  I think he prefers to move 200 at a time, and to be honest , we've run out of undercover  RMP storage room

Good topic james, for my last job I drove this MAN all over the South Is for several years, and I often came up with movie ideas associated with it especially driving over the Crown Range, it would have been cool to be filmed by a drone doing that, and some of the awkward or spectacular locations I would get into.

truck.jpg

Now I just need a bee truck...

Edited by Paul Beer
  • Like 4

Aah how the mind wanders while hauling loads.. ideas are born and forgotten... plans are made or modified... Questions are asked and answered.. 

this is the cab my thoughts thrash around in.. shes no 500 horse MAN but she gets up some gnarly goat tracks and delivers. 

27AE64D7-136A-459B-A85C-9F20E6915B95.png

• Like 11

Tristan won't approve of that trailer...

• Haha 2

why not ....?

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

Tristan won't approve of that trailer...

not often does it get used behind the big girl.. you don’t really know it’s still there till you hop out to close the first gate.  

• Haha 3

and find you gotta hop back in and move forward a little ...?

1 minute ago, jamesc said:

and find you gotta hop back in and move forward a little ...?

Oooh don’t ya just love it when that happens .. cockies are so inconsiderate ... you’d think they would rush out and open every gate once I ring to say I’ll be heading out.. last night was a classic.. there’s 3 gates 2 truck lengths apart. 

Paid by the hour of course. 

9 hours ago, Stoney said:

Aah how the mind wanders while hauling loads.. ideas are born and forgotten... plans are made or modified... Questions are asked and answered.. 

this is the cab my thoughts thrash around in.. shes no 500 horse MAN but she gets up some gnarly goat tracks and delivers. 

27AE64D7-136A-459B-A85C-9F20E6915B95.png

There's and axle missing from that trailer

• Spoon 1

9 minutes ago, Philbee said:

There's and axle missing from that trailer

Yeah I know.. we have downsized a little this season. 

32 minutes ago, Stoney said:

not often does it get used behind the big girl.. you don’t really know it’s still there till you hop out to close the first gate.  

There"s nothing worse than being dead tired  at the end of the day and stopping to close the gate but the gate hits the trailer by a foot

Classic Phil .....you wanna be a script writer ......  put a show together an do a roadie promoting staples to bee clubs and light entertainment for the after match function.?

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Classic Phil .....you wanna be a script writer ......  put a show together an do a roadie promoting staples to bee clubs and light entertainment for the after match function.?

For sure and we could team up with those dog box neighbors of yours 

• Haha 1

sure would bee a mite tee roadshow... stella screaming forth loaded to the hilt with sewing machines, rolls of paper tape and boxes of Speights.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Philbee said:

For sure and we could team up with those dog box neighbors of yours 

The Bitches .... that show is a hoot for sure !

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Stoney said:

sure would bee a mite tee roadshow... stella screaming forth loaded to the hilt with sewing machines, rolls of paper tape and boxes of Speights.

Hmmm .... Stoney .... you is hired for the road show. You have have a poetic way with words.

• Haha 2

There is an outstanding opportunity for a bunch like you lot down there to have one of those reality TV shows
Not a single one done so far could hold a candle to the quality of content available in a Beekeeping operation

The constant threat of Manuka war along with all the issues genuinely inherent to a season  with the Bees would make for outstanding entertainment

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Philbee said:

There is an outstanding opportunity for a bunch like you lot down there to have one of those reality TV shows
Not a single one done so far could hold a candle to the quality of content available in a Beekeeping operation

The constant threat of Manuka war along with all the issues genuinely inherent to a season  with the Bees would make for outstanding entertainment

I have often thought of that while trying to  watching some of those real boring real life kitchen reno, or wedding shows.

HONEY WARS .....  the intrigue,  the gambling, the highs and the lows ....

Dunno..... might work .... might need a 700hp  Western Star  semi ...... Turbo losing his load off the back ...... Jimmy JC getting real lippy ..... Stoney cruising through in Suzi with tandem trailer to win the crop ....

THE GOLDEN SMOKER. 

I know a lady who makes movies. She is nice !

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jamesc said:

THE GOLDEN SMOKER. 

I know a lady who makes movies. She is nice !

And what sort of movies does she make jamesc??? ?

• Haha 1

Well ..... she made "The Million Dollar Nose"  ,  but could turn her handy cam  to anything I suppose. 

• Like 1