Alastair

Consideration For Others When Parking Up

Got a call today from the Fernilea Cafe at Coatesville seeking help, lot's of bees. Went there and was told they saw a bee truck in the carpark when they started in the morning, he was not a customer, and drove off. 

When I arrived early afternoon there was no cluster but flying bees all over the place, and the outdoor part of the cafe was not being used people were all jammed into the other end. People also told me that after driving in they were afraid to get out of their cars.

Soon as I arrived lots of homeless bees smelled the gear on the truck deck and immediately landed on it. So I drank a free coffee then drove away with a good amount of the bees on the back of the truck. Still a lot flying around though which I could not do much about.

Not sure what reason the beekeeper had for stopping there, but something that showed especial lack of consideration was that it is a large carpark, yet the guy parked at the cafe end, right next to the cafe. Basic common sense would have been if someone just HAS to stop there, at the least, you would park at the other end of the carpark, away from the buildings.

This kind of thing causes needless bad publicity for the industry, lucky it did not end up on the news. Use the noggin, be considerate out there people. ?

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 6
  • Agree 4

Ethics, decency, commonsense. There is a subset of New Zealand beekeepers that have no idea what these three words mean or why they are important. They remind me a bit of that group of tourists wandering around the country at the moment. Surely public endangerment is a crime.

• Like 5

There's no doubt it's alway a problem .

Fuellight come's on on the truck and you is 300 k's from home  and you need gas ..... whadya gonna do bro .... particuarly when it's the cheapest fuel in the country. 

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

If these events keep on happening, the only way that the lawmakers can act is to require all trucks carrying bees or honey to have totally enclosed canopies. As a hobbyist,  I can work out how to carry them inside my car, so when it is your business, try and remember the longterm consequences if you leave large numbers of confused bees at very busy sites and cause a nuisance, you will help cause the laws to require the canopies on trucks. I was also called to Fernielea - they thought it was a swarm and arrived before @Alastair and all I could do was grovel and apologise on behalf of the inconsiderate idiot that left the bees there. It cost that business owner real money - there were about 25% of the usual number of cars at lunch time, not good enough by a long shot.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

I couldn’t agree more. 

While we’re at it can we please address;

1. the cow muck I had to wash off my car, I had to use a valet?

2. the wear on my tyres avoiding the escaped sheep?

3. the expensive antihistamines each year due to pine plantations in my area?

• Haha 2

Just wondering if the cafe staff could give a description of the truck, which could then be folllowed up.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, john berry said:

Ethics, decency, commonsense. There is a subset of New Zealand beekeepers that have no idea what these three words mean or why they are important. They remind me a bit of that group of tourists wandering around the country at the moment. Surely public endangerment is a crime.

For beekeepers substitute people. It's the prime reason why I haven't been an employer for 20 years.

• Agree 1

Happens all the time. Main Man had to go on a rescue mission up to Arthurs pass last night and fuelled up at The auto pump in Sheffield. He politely asked if I had been there too as the pumps were covered with bees.

We fuelled up at Kumara  yesterday late afternoon ?  Any complaints out there ?

It's reallyhard to do the right thing. We blow the excess bees out of the boxes that come off the escapes, cover the load, but you only need 100 bees left in 240 boxes and theres the beginning of a new hive.

Edited by jamesc

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

For beekeepers substitute people. It's the prime reason why I haven't been an employer for 20 years.

Ah yeah .... I love being an employer ..... so much gets done that otherwise would'nt have !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BeeGirl said:

Just wondering if the cafe staff could give a description of the truck, which could then be folllowed up.

I did ask that but at the time they did not realise there would be a problem and had not taken enough notice to ID the truck. The problem only became apparent after he left. Plus even if I knew who it was I would not be naming and shaming, as per James we can all make mistakes myself included.

Edited by Alastair