CraBee

Who has the best Queens?

10 minutes ago, john berry said:

I'm pretty sure I have the best queens available now  and they will be available under license within two years.  have been using AI to experiment with hybridizing native solitary bees with honeybees and have had surprisingly successful results. I now have a stabilized hybrid which is over 70% more productive on pasture and well over 100% more productive on manuka . They have their problems and cells have to be raised in conventional hives as they don't produce any royal jelly . On the other hand they don't swarm (they don't raise cells) and the virgins mate within the hive . Each Queen is not as productive but they are not aggressive towards each other and I have found ten  to be the optimal number in a hive. They do host varroa but varroa do not reproduce within the hive and the bees are very hygienic so they are not a problem .So far they have overwintered really well on very little stores and the only real downside has shown up in a South Island trial I have been and with another beekeeper with the bees show no inclination to work honeydew  which is disappointing.

I would like to place an order for 500 please.  Usual rates: You deliver and put them in the hives for me and I will pay you in 2 years time if they work out OK.

• Haha 2

On 15/01/2019 at 4:44 PM, Philbee said:

My mongrels suit me.

Same, mine are a cross of northern dark bee, carniolan and Italian that Iv added to from all parts of northland and I only breed from strong angry good producing bees 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Same, mine are a cross of northern dark bee, carniolan and Italian that Iv added to from all parts of northland and I only breed from strong angry good producing bees 

Quite a few of my friends are getting back into bee keeping In their 60s after not having hives for 30 odd yrs.

I have been giving them nucs .

I have a line of very gentle queens who do not swarm and only supercede .

The bees are very quiet and one of my friends hardly ever uses smoke .

They are not good producers and would be hopeless for a commercial beek .

But are very suitable for a hobyist .

So the best queen depends on the end use of the hive .

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Most of my bees are dark grey to very black colour. Some have a little bit of dark orangish colour. Queens are mostly black and some have a little bit of copper/ yellow tint to them. They have a lot of Carniolan and dark Italian in them. They have worked well for me. I graft most of my queens and once in a while try a few queens from different breeders out of curiosity to see how they perform and if they do well then get a few grafts from them. 

• Like 3