waitakerebees

Bees back at swarm site

Hey There, 

I was alerted to there being a significant swarm settled at a nearby property to my own in the Waitakeres late Friday night. Collected it early Saturday morning. I am fairly certain I got the queen the first time around, as when I moved the main swarm group into the box, leaving a flap of the box open and at the swarm site for awhile, they were very happy to stay inside the box as opposed to trying to move back to the branch they were originally on. Relocated the box to my property and transferred the swarm into a full depth super, where they have been since. 

What I am curious about however, is because the original swarm site is about a kilometre from me, I've been able to keep an eye on the tree they were found on - and in the three times I have been back since Saturday, there has each time been a good large fist sized group of bees back at the spot the original swarm was. Assuming these are just scout bees who were out and about when I collected the main swarm, I've twice now taken the remaining bees and reunited with the main hive back on my property. Each time I've moved the remaining bees, there's been new comb on the tree branch, which I have cut out and removed. They are wax making machines on that tree! 

I guess, since this is the first time I have collected a swarm, I was unsure if it was normal that bees would continue to convene back at the original swarm removal site days later? And should I continue to move them back to the main hive? Are they just scout bees who were away when I grabbed the hive, or are they making their way back there from my place?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks 

Bit of air freshener on the tree branch once clear of bees should do the trick

• Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

On 14/01/2019 at 12:42 PM, Bron said:

Bit of air freshener on the tree branch once clear of bees should do the trick

Thanks Bron! That's a good tactic I will remember for next time. They seem to have dispersed now thankfully. 

or smoke it heavily

Spray of soapy water on the tree branch works as well.