Phil46

Kanuka honey !!

Is there anyone promoting/marketing the benefits of this 'close cousin' to manuka honey? Surely there is a market for this product on its own properties,other than using it in blending? Or is the info i have been reading about kanuka,heresay? Could this bee the new "wonder honey"??

1 hour ago, Phil46 said:

Is there anyone promoting/marketing the benefits of this 'close cousin' to manuka honey? Surely there is a market for this product on its own properties,other than using it in blending? Or is the info i have been reading about kanuka,heresay? Could this bee the new "wonder honey"??

David Hayes, Buzz Apiaries Katikati 

• Like 2

I think there is definitely something to it. The science shows that kanuka honey has good antibacterial properties due to the presence of high levels of peroxide present, even to the extent that it often has higher total activity than manuka.

We've done quite a bit of research with kanuka honey over the years as part of various authenticity projects, and have invested a decent amount of time looking for the stuff. I'd say there's probably half a dozen businesses of various sizes who are selling packed and labelled kanuka honey, some of whom are using tests developed by ourselves to support their label claim.

Since MPI released their manuka marker test a while back many people have found themselves with batches of honey they thought were manuka, but are now being told otherwise. Whether you believe it or not, I think that will probably drive some companies to re-evaluate whether it might in fact be kanuka honey.

Edited by Jacob
  • Like 1
  • Good Info 2

Dr. Shaun Holt
+64 29 200 1111
shaun@honeylab.co.nz

has done a lot of work on it for skin disorders.

• Good Info 1

4 hours ago, tudor said:

has done a lot of work on it for skin disorders.

With any outstanding results @tudor?

seems to work well for rosacea, a condition of many elderly folk with skin redness and thickening on nose and face

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/beauty/68129757/null

and I have read some of his scientific articles which are quite convincing !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tudor said:

seems to work well for rosacea, a condition of many elderly folk with skin redness and thickening on nose and face

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/beauty/68129757/null

and I have read some of his scientific articles which are quite convincing !

From the above link:

Trials showed that the combination of 90 per cent medical-grade kanuka honey and 10 per cent glycerine was an effective treatment for rosacea with about one in three people reporting a clinically significant improvement after eight weeks of Honevo treatment. This was twice the outcome from those who underwent a control treatment.

In 13 per cent of those involved in the trial, the disease disappeared completely.

Holt said people with rosacea often sought natural treatments but very few of these treatments had successfully undergone rigorous clinical trials. He said this honey formulation was the best of both worlds.

Fantastic outcome in my view!

• Like 2

On 14/01/2019 at 7:15 PM, tudor said:

Absolutely ! Kanuka honey on toast for 20 years has stopped my nose from going red

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Absolutely ! Kanuka honey on toast for 20 years has stopped my nose from going red

Not by your profile picture.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, yesbut said:

What do you do at Xmas when you are being harnessed in to Santa's sleigh, Rudolph ?

Another promotion for "kanuka honey" on 3 news last night....😊😊😊😊

Luckily the kanuka out my ways hasn't really gone off in the past few seasons this might be the season, hopefully prices go back up soon

• Agree 1

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/112879049/honeybased-solution-for-cold-sores-just-as-effective-as-antiviral-treatments-research-shows

"After more than three years, a trial led by researchers at the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand (MRINZ) has proven a medical-grade honey formulation derived from the kānuka tree is just as effective in treating cold sores as standard aciclovir cream."

• Like 4

Phil 46 will be happy !!

• Like 1