Jump to content
Kiwimana

Nick Wallingford - The Way We Used to Bee

Recommended Posts

 

In this podcast we share "The Way We Used to Bee", which is New Zealand's first ever beekeeping podcast that released eight episodes back in 2006.

 

Nick Wallingford talks about the history of New Zealand beekeeping and some of characters involved.

 

Nick kindly let us re-release these shows and I think you will learn some interesting things about the history of New Zealand beekeeping.

 

Nick was the president of the National Beekeepers Association of New Zealand.  Nick is now 67 and has retired to the Bay of Plenty.

 

You can listen to the show by clicking the link below and pressing the "Play" Button at the top of the page.

http://kiwi.bz/nick

 

Thanks...Gary

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for putting these podcasts up.

I bumped into Nick a few months ago and it was great catching up. I have known and been friends with him for a very long time and he still looks and sounds pretty much the same as he did 40 years ago.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Team Kiwimana for doing this episode and to Nick for doing the original episodes.

Some interesting New Zealand Bee history here.  Its funny has some things are still happening today.

Who would have thought that Honey adulteration used to happen before Manuka Honey made it big.

Thank you...Dennis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/01/2019 at 8:45 AM, john berry said:

Thanks for putting these podcasts up.

I bumped into Nick a few months ago and it was great catching up. I have known and been friends with him for a very long time and he still looks and sounds pretty much the same as he did 40 years ago.

 

Thanks John. yes he does seem like a character.  Hopefully met him in Real Life One day.

 

Have you ever considered coming on the show for chat in the future?  I was going to ask you when you spoke at Kumeu, but I was frozen solid from memory.  God that hall was cold that day :)

 

Thanks...Gary

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/01/2019 at 4:00 PM, Dennis Brown said:

Thanks Team Kiwimana for doing this episode and to Nick for doing the original episodes.

Some interesting New Zealand Bee history here.  Its funny has some things are still happening today.

Who would have thought that Honey adulteration used to happen before Manuka Honey made it big.

Thank you...Dennis

Thanks Dennis for listening in.

 

Yes some great old history, have you ever read Cliff Van Eaton's book about Manuka.  It also have some quite tidbits from the history of the industry in New Zealand.

 

Thanks...Gary

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2019 at 9:51 PM, Kiwimana said:

 

Thanks John. yes he does seem like a character.  Hopefully met him in Real Life One day.

 

Have you ever considered coming on the show for chat in the future?  I was going to ask you when you spoke at Kumeu, but I was frozen solid from memory.  God that hall was cold that day :)

 

Thanks...Gary

 

Send me an email and let me know what you want me to do. Not a problem. Don't try and phone as the landline has died and we have all but given up hope on someone making it work again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2019 at 8:25 AM, Kiwimana said:

Nick was the president of the National Beekeepers Association of New Zealand

Nick was the 3rd of 3 NBA presidents starting with Ian Berry followed by Allen McCaw, then Nick that embraced a "Management by Objective" (MBO) process of industry planning.  The MAF pepole  of the day; Murray Reid, Andrew Matheson and Ted Roberts (plus others I don't recall) presented the MBO process to industry with annual planning meetings and a published industry plan.

 

That industry planning lead to supporting the work of Peter Molan and employing a marketing consultant (Bill Floyd) who had a profound effect on the uptake of "Manuka" by the media, in NZ and overseas.  These presidents were followed by Francis Trewby and Dudley Ward who in turn carried on the good work.  Without the foresight of these people and the path they put the industry on, the manuka phenomenom may never have happened.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/01/2019 at 9:48 PM, john berry said:

Send me an email and let me know what you want me to do. Not a problem. Don't try and phone as the landline has died and we have all but given up hope on someone making it work again.

Hey John,

 

Not sure if I had the correct email, but I did send you one on the Berry one your website.  Still not heard back, can you drop me an email at gary at kiwimana.co.nz...Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...