Shane Parker

Honey Super Storage

To avoid wax moth is it better to store honey supers and frames wet or dry after bees have cleaned up. No brood frames.

It makes no difference , wet or dry , the moths will get them.

Freeze the frames , then put back in supers and wrap straight away 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’m going to store mine with staples insitu (got a hole bunch of 1st generation to use up). The wax moth apparently doesn’t seem to like them very much

Edited by Josh

If you use them every season you probably won’t have too many issues with wax moths

19 minutes ago, Josh said:

I’m going to store mine with staples insitu (got a hole bunch of 1st generation to use up). The wax moth apparently doesn’t seem to like them very much

I’m not at all sure about that . I had wax moth grubs in hives in places that they weren’t in contact with the staples.

Given OA is a contact treatment , the wax moth would need to be touching them to kill them , but they hide away under wax and between boxes etc 

Just out of interest, the flow here underway and in unused boxes of frames currently there are moths! Not many have laid at all but I haven't noticed them before at this time of the year.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, M4tt said:

I’m not at all sure about that . I had wax moth grubs in hives in places that they weren’t in contact with the staples.

Given OA is a contact treatment , the wax moth would need to be touching them to kill them , but they hide away under wax and between boxes etc 

Well, that blows that theory. I’ll settle for annoying the wife by filling the freezer and using up the glad wrap?

Edited by Josh
  • Haha 1

Store the supers from the same hive you took them from above a top feeder.  Put the lid on the top super.  The bees will clean out any residual honey and these boxes don't get wax moth in them (unless they've sat at the extractor for too long).

• Good Info 1

It's said that bees prefer the combs dry but there's no guarantee. I put mine in a freezer after they have been licked dry and then seal up. Moth like to eat poly mini-nucs too so this year they are all in the freezer for winter!

12 hours ago, Josh said:

Well, that blows that theory. I’ll settle for annoying the wife by filling the freezer and using up the glad wrap?

I have a large roll of green hay bale type wrap that the core has gone in so cant be used in the baler.   The wrap is in good condition and would work well for wraping empties if any one wants it just PM me and its yours.  Better than going to the landfill.  I don't seem to have any issued with wax moth here.

The wax moths certainly prefer old brood comb so making sure I have non of that. Usually store supers wet after extracting ,wax moths dont seem to like the wet frames as much.

Some of the hives are 6 3/4 boxes high so dont really want to leave them on as they can be quite unstable.

Anyone know someone to extract and buy my excess honey, did this with a locale plant in New Plymouth but they are not there now.

4 hours ago, Oma said:

I have a large roll of green hay bale type wrap that the core has gone in so cant be used in the baler.   The wrap is in good condition and would work well for wraping empties if any one wants it just PM me and its yours.  Better than going to the landfill.  I don't seem to have any issued with wax moth here.

Good idea actually using the bale wrap. Ours all gets recycled into plastic fence posts now days, which are also recyclable. Win win 

• Like 4

<Content removed>?

Edited by M4tt

21 hours ago, M4tt said:

It makes no difference , wet or dry , the moths will get them.

Freeze the frames , then put back in supers and wrap straight away 

Wrap with what @M4tt?

20 hours ago, CraBee said:

Store the supers from the same hive you took them from above a top feeder.  Put the lid on the top super.  The bees will clean out any residual honey and these boxes don't get wax moth in them (unless they've sat at the extractor for too long).

Good info @CraBee  

when end do you take them off and how do you store them?

21 hours ago, Josh said:

I heard, but haven’t tried, that thymol was the acid that wax moth don’t like ( it does stink!)

9 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Wrap with what @M4tt?

Glad wrap, pallet wrap of silage wrap. Anything to be more or less air tight  so the moths can't lay the eggs into the boxes 

• Good Info 1

2 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Good info @CraBee  

when end do you take them off and how do you store them?

I leave them on the hives all year round from there, so I'll often have an extra two or three boxes on each hive above the top feeder.  

I like it as putting the same supers back on the same hives limits disease risk - mainly from the sub-clinical AFB risk.  I know that in some cases frames probably don't go back into the same boxes at the extraction plant, but at least all boxes and frames end up at the same site / apiary.

There is no double handling of boxes.  Come Spring time I'm not hauling boxes out of storage - they're there on site already and I/we got them in there when it was dry - not during dodgy weather in Spring when they may have to be carried in..... 

If the bees need another box I drop it below the top feeder.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

22 hours ago, Josh said:

I heard, but haven’t tried, that thymol was the acid that wax moth don’t like ( it does stink!)

@CraBee can you do this because the climate in Auckland isn’t too cold during winter?

10 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

@CraBee can you do this because the climate in Auckland isn’t too cold during winter?

its a crap method done by people who don't have space to store supers.

boxes left out on hives over winter rot faster, water gets blown in the gaps, can get moldy.  it can get really bad especially as boxes age and get more gaps in them.

edit: also i have a lot of hives that are 6ft tall. what do you think is going to happen in a winter storm. they will just blow off or tip over.

however leaving boxes on until weather cools down is a common practice. once the temps drop down enough wax moth is not a problem and they can be easily stored in a shed.

Edited by tristan
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

17 minutes ago, tristan said:

its a crap method done by people who don't have space to store supers.

boxes left out on hives over winter rot faster, water gets blown in the gaps, can get moldy.  it can get really bad especially as boxes age and get more gaps in them.

edit: also i have a lot of hives that are 6ft tall. what do you think is going to happen in a winter storm. they will just blow off or tip over.

however leaving boxes on until weather cools down is a common practice. once the temps drop down enough wax moth is not a problem and they can be easily stored in a shed.

-  Have space for supers, don't like double handling, try to be efficient,

-  Never had a problem with water in gaps, mould.  All my gear is water-proof. 

-  Never had a problem with hives with boxes on top being blown over.

I guess if the gear was shoddy it wouldn't work.

26 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

-  I'm not sure that the climate would matter.  Yes it is warmer up here, but can't see why it wouldn't work somewhere colder.

It would be interesting to see if others / others in colder area's do it?  

Edited by CraBee
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, CraBee said:

I guess if the gear was shoddy it wouldn't work.

give it a few years. there is always wear and tear.

thats something newbees tend to forget to factor in. things are nice and easy when its all new. it gets harder as it all ages.

boxes on hives over winter only last ~4 years or so. supers that are stored inside.......well i think we have some that are ~30 years old now (maybe even 40 years).

@tristanre the boxes left out in on the hives over winter not lasting much more than 4 years, they are painted I guess not paraffin dipped?

Edited by Ali

For a few hobby supers, fine stainless mesh top and bottom of the stack sealing from mice etc, put in cold spot on stand with a very ventilated roof over where there is a good flow of cold up through the stack. Would not work on commercial scale though.

• Like 1