Jeff Twigge

Extraction Facility

We are located in the Manawatu and live on an 11 acre lifestyle block. We are currently running around 400 hives and are looking to extend this to around 1000 next season. At the rear of our property we run just over 100 hives in close proximity to the city, and are looking to build a 400 m2 size shed and extraction facility within 50 m of our apiary.

Just wondered if anyone had some advice for us; as I had been told that we should try and keep our extraction away from our yard and on another property?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

it might vary from aera to aera, but generally keep hives well away from extraction plants and storage sheds.

100 robbing hives next to an extraction shed would be absolute hell.

its bad enough just with a few soaker hives. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Jeff Twigge said:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

don't run a one hundred hive apiary on a city margin on the basis of don't be a ########. Sure as hell don't build an extraction facility on the same small property as a 100 hive apiary.

• Agree 2

Am guessing @Jeff Twigge that the 100 lot are not on your 11 acre block?  

400 to 1000 hives is quite a big jump I reckon. 

Most folk are saying there are just too many hives now ( a lot in the Manawatu/Wanganui area) unless you have some magic spots for them it will be a case of less nectar per hive all round as is going on most places already.

100 hives close to the city is very common stuff (hundred& hundreds& hundreds of them!!) when they come off the Manuka for winter/spring ( dump sites) there are certainly plenty of them around here! Equates to depleted spring resources for the local small operator here. 

The first year I extracted honey in a spare bed room , it was very runny and I  was concerned about the moisture content.

So it put a fan in front of the draining fames and opened the windows.

When I came back an hour or two later I was so grateful the windows had screens.

The screens were thick with bees .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, john berry said:

Should I run 1000 big dairy bulls next door to a paddock of on heat heifers.?

Should I give my chickens free range in my vegetable garden?

Should I go out fishing in a hurricane with no life jacket and a leaking boat?

Should I build an extracting plant next to 100 hives........

John, you summed it up extremely well. The question couldn't be answered any better than you have just done ?- Jeff, take heed.

People do obviously have hives near their extracting facilities but the fewer the better. It can be remarkably difficult to completely bee proof a shed and one mistake in the robbing season can lead to major problems. Screens over Windows will keep bees out but won't stop them being attracted by the smell of the honey and if robbing gets bad enough they will not only hassle you but also neighbouring buildings and neighbours. I have seen the results of people leaving doors open or trucks parked outside too long , it's not pretty and it can take weeks for the bees to settle down. Roller doors are not the proof to start with and most other doors big enough to let a truck in do not remain completely bee proof for long.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, john berry said:

Should I run 1000 big dairy bulls next door to a paddock of on heat heifers.?

Should I give my chickens free range in my vegetable garden?

Should I go out fishing in a hurricane with no life jacket and a leaking boat?

Should I build an extracting plant next to 100 hives........

A genuine kiwi answer will be:  " .... but we can try..."

I heard it many times.

I used the services of an extracton facility that the owners had 20 hives outside of once.

Only the once.

• Like 1

I manage to run my extraction facility at the same place as my apiary.  I have two tightly fitting doors between outside and in.  The windows are tightly shut but that doesn’t stop the bees from smelling the honey and they are constantly looking for a way in.  The temperature in the room runs at approx 40 plus deg C, because of lack of ventilation and over heating I manage to extract one 3/4 box and then I’ve had it and have to go up to the house and have another cup of tea and try again tomorrow.

804B8B3C-FA2E-4FC8-B38C-43DA01947177.jpeg

• Like 3

F5FE9BE4-9E19-45FD-8F19-D4E15A40D2C7.jpeg

There is an extraction outfit in Turangi that ran a large site within 100m.
They had a good shed etc.

One needs to be careful here that the tail doesn't wag the dog.

On one hand there is a person prepared to invest a lot of money and on the other there is a free site calling the shots.
Follow this senerio to it's natural conclusion and there will be no investment made.

• Like 1

You can avoid putting too many of YOUR hives nearby. You can't do much about others.  

• Agree 1

Last year I was bunging news paper I to the door keyhole and taping up the windows as they could get around the sash and into the house. I can’t imaging what it would have been like with more than 2 hives nearby (but presumably a dozen others within 500m).

Someone came to visit then left and phoned me. “There are a lot of bees at your front door, I didn’t want to see the back, so I left”.

Edited by cBank
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Oma said:

The temperature in the room runs at approx 40 plus deg C, because of lack of ventilation and over heating I manage to extract one 3/4 box and then I’ve had it and have to go up to the house and have another cup of tea and try again tomorrow.

and that is why we use aircon. 

1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

You can avoid putting too many of YOUR hives nearby. You can't do much about others.  

we have asked a few people to move hives, and they have done so.

once you explain that what happens is all their bees will come into the sheds, get stuck inside and die. they move them fairly quickly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, tristan said:

and that is why we use aircon. 

we have asked a few people to move hives, and they have done so.

once you explain that what happens is all their bees will come into the sheds, get stuck inside and die. they move them fairly quickly.

Ive seen a similar situation where bees arrived from a long way off and most died in the shed as it had skylights.
This shed was in an industrial park

My point is that bees are everywhere.
Arataki Hawke Bay have a cool plastic slat door which appeared to work really well.

Edited by Philbee

7 hours ago, Oma said:

F5FE9BE4-9E19-45FD-8F19-D4E15A40D2C7.jpeg

Thats a bit hard on your bees .  :6_smile:

• Haha 1

Even harder on @Oma I think. I would be melting too working in the inside temperatures. Very nice honey house though!

• Like 1