ApiNZ Science & Research

Science at 2018 conference

Happy 2019 all.

At last year's ApiNZ conference, the science sessions were presented in a different manner . . . . as 'lightning talks' where talks were 10 minutes long. This allowed a wide number of topics to be presented and results shown  - albeit briefly.

So for those that went to conference last year (2018), can you provide a little feedback as to whether this was a useful format? Longer talks and fewer? Your thoughts would be much appreciated [JM]

• Like 2

Talking with others then it seems the 8-10 minute talks  allowed a diversity of talks but longer talks of ~20 minutes are preferred.

• Agree 1

I prefer the longer, more  indepth talks. I found the 10min ones kind of like flicking through a magazine. 

I've gotta go with John on this one. Extend them a little bit, maybe 15 minutes, with 5 minutes for questions.

I couldn't make it last year so can't really comment on that event . Science  is the main reason I go and I personally like the longer in-depth presentations with plenty of time for questions. I strongly dislike it when there are two science subjects on at the same time and I have to make a decision on which one to go to. If you must have more than one speaker at once then how about having science in one and something that I won't mind  missing like OHS or banking for the other. Panel discussions are also good value.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

An excellent feature of last year's science talks, for me as I was not able to attend the day,  was that they were videoed and made available on the ApiNZ web site.  I for one like the opportunity to stop a presentation and make detailed notes that I can follow up on and continue when I am ready without missing additional points of interest.   You also have the opportunity to make contact with the presenter in your own time and of course, replaying the video. 
For others replying to this question, please let us know what you think of the videoed summaries.  (JMcL, also S&R Focus Group)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I personally prefer more full indepth talks, & yes videos to recap on points of interest are good.  But a great thing about snap talks if you are planning field days or programmes, it's an easy way to see what's on "offer" and who you can approach there and then, saving lots of time for hub organisers later on.