tommy dave

January 2019 Apiary Diary

Visual observation of the first of the varroa in drone brood this morning . Just two in two hives, but enough to jolt me into action.

Time to treat the suckers !!

• Agree 1

On 23/01/2019 at 11:34 AM, Ali said:

i

saw it on face book  ordered 2 they arrived in the country in 3 days from Turkey, one with a broken weld but it will be easy fix

7 hours ago, M4tt said:

Visual observation of the first of the varroa in drone brood this morning . Just two in two hives, but enough to jolt me into action.

Time to treat the suckers !!

Have seen a couple of DWV bees for the first time since spring. Got zero on a couple of sugar shakes, which tells you exactly how good I am at doing them.

@M4tt what is your treatment going to be?

Edited by cBank

2 minutes ago, cBank said:

Have seen a couple of DWV bees for the first time since spring. Got zero on a couple of sugar shakes, which tells you exactly how good I am at doing them.

@M4tt what is your treatment going to be?

I had some ApilifeVar in a box , so I’ve used that up on half and the other half have staples . I put them in today . 

The ApilifeVar won’t last beyond a couple of weeks in this heat , so those hives will get staples then .

Im normally treating mid Feb but the presence of a couple of varroa today got me into action and treatment is in now. 

Staples are fantastic for an extended treatment period . We didn’t used to have that option 

You can have DWV without varroa present , but it’s a sure sign the hive health is not a good as it could be 

• Like 2

I dug into some mating nucs his afternoon.  Because they operate on limited bee numbers they are a bit susceptible to wax moth.  In one of the mating nucs

I saw a few bees with no wings.  I don't think it is DWV.  My theory is that it is caused by the wax moth worm sliding in and out of cells and wearing the wings

out.   Has anyone else ever had anything like this?

• Good Info 1

20 hours ago, mickey said:

saw it on face book  ordered 2 they arrived in the country in 3 days from Turkey, one with a broken weld but it will be easy fix

Very good @mickey. What do you think of the item? Are they the original manufacturer?

I have had quite a few hive swarm on me in January.  Took my eye off them for a few weeks and bam.  I expected that once i was past the longest day i would be ok.  I wonder whether the philbee staples mid season treatment contributed to this ? however I think it more a case of just running bees in doubles that got me...ran out of boxes 

8 hours ago, Ali said:

Very good @mickey. What do you think of the item? Are they the original manufacturer?

Not sure if its the original, the guy claims to have spent a long time developing it and it did seem to work really well for him, but guess what, it didn't work for me.

Maybe it was to hot today, it just made a mess of the frame, uncapping fork saved the day.

will try again when the weather cools down maybe

• Sad 1

Checked my hives over the weekend, it was warm (22+degress) and overcast in Chch, no wind I thought it would have been perfect to check the girls. But alas no. They were not happy with me.. Somehow one got in through a gap in my suit and I got stung on the wrist. Whole arm swelled up. Not what you want on a Saturday. Doh.

I don't know how you experienced guys know if there is a flow on or not. The girls seam to have slowed down, a few more frames filled but no more drawn out. Driving around town yesterday everyone's lawn is now cut short and starting to look like its burning off, a lot different to a week or so ago when it was green and covered in clover. The big question, how long do I wait till I pull off the full frames. The million $ question.

Do you use a smoker ?

1 hour ago, tudor said:

Do you use a smoker ?

Of course. They just didn't like being shook off so I could have a closer look

managed to squeeze in a honey/hive check on sunday morning and take off some honey... only got to hive no 3 and already had two boxes on board (I keep running out) so had to leave the rest, I could easily have taken twice as much... there is definately a good flow on out here on the canty plains, the persian clover has well finished but the white clover is still going strong. I knew there had to be some somewhere close by, due to honey in the boxes, found it a block away (km or so) when i was heading down a back road on sunday, nice!

So i had to extract last night so I have some boxes for the other two hives, 8.30pm still sweating it out extracting, most of three 16 kg buckets full.... this working full time, travelling, kids and beekeeping is hard work at times!

BRB: sometimes it can be hard to know if there is a flow. In town there should be something most of the year, but it wont be the spectacular rural flow that we get at times... more like slow and steady. and i can empathize with the whole arm swelling, has happened to me at times. Wait until its your face, thats always a fun situation to try and explain!

Edited by Rashika
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, BRB said:

I don't know how you experienced guys know if there is a flow on or not.

Take out a few frames with wet honey in them and shake it horizontally onto a lid.  If nectar fails out then it was collected in the past day or so.  

• Like 2

On 29/01/2019 at 3:22 PM, flash4cash said:

Take out a few frames with wet honey in them and shake it horizontally onto a lid.  If nectar fails out then it was collected in the past day or so.  

Yep.... i generally go down into the brood and see if i can shake nectar.

i did’nt need to yesterday .... empty boxes thst went on a week aho are full and got a second plonked on.

On 29/01/2019 at 3:22 AM, flash4cash said:

Lol, when is strong flow over here and I shake so.. the whole lid would be covered. It spills almost as a water.. One year when I was selling colonies and I shake off some over top bars to they have something " to snack" while travelling, it was late afternoon, evening. It was wild cherry flow, the scent was strong and seducing.. Unbelievable how much of moisture they remove over night from honey..

• Like 4

We are into robbing season now in Auckland. Anything that has a dot of nectar or honey soon gets bees, bumble bees and wasps all over it. Dealing with wets is not fun when it’s like this, and I only have 4 hives. I can’t imagine what it’s like at a big yard.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

F9A82A55-90C6-4CFC-81ED-960EB4B62B4B.thumb.jpeg.22a99a3986eff8003c6b1db90f2d1a56.jpeg

Harlequin ladybirds starting to make a dent in the willow aphid population at home .

Bees locally are hard out on clover and Californian thistle, don’t think it can go on that much longer due to the dry 

• Like 4
  • Good Info 1

@Ali  are you still looking into getting any uncappers?  I would definitely be interested in 3 if that can be added to an order?  Not actually sure if there is one .....