tommy dave

January 2019 Apiary Diary

6 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Thanks.  That would be helpful.  It looks very good.  What was it like on uneven comb

I have sent him e-mail with these questions..

• Thanks 2

More rain.  I thinking this season may extend on for pasture.  Would not be suprised if the flow is on in March.  Going to make for interesting for varroa treatment, may have to be later than usual. 

Edited by flash4cash
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, flash4cash said:

for varroa treatment, may have to be later than usual. 

Now there’s a recipe for hive collapse .

Although , that said , my hives show now sign of mites at the moment . I’d usually have mites in drone brood in alarming numbers by now.

So in reality , if there are no varroa in hives then a late treatment should be ok . 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Goran said:

I agree it looks like the best manual un capper I have seen. It will be good if it can work on uneven comb - particularly when the capping is level with or inside the top and bottom bar. I'll buy one if there is a suitable process. Cheers

@Goran I could probably get a clone from china but iI often pay more to reward people for there good ideas or to firms that pay decent wages .

I recently brought a shakti mat for $70 instead of $30  because the firm got them made in india by people on a decent wage .

• Like 2

I decided to beat the rain yesterday and went and got a Ute load after the farmers market. It would have helped if I'd remembered my smoker and hive tool. The bees were actually pretty chilled considering and the tire iron of the DMax was usable if not ideal. I got to try out my new ventilated bee suit. First time I've ever had one and also the first time I've had a one-piece suit. Verdict. Awkward to get into, painful to zip up hood (I have long hair) and wearing it feels like being naked inside a huge plastic pot mit . It was however a bit cooler than my normal gear so I think I'll put it behind the seat for those really hot days.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

It looks very good. 

I would love to try a couple of these! A group package anyone??

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

please count me in :14_relaxed:

11 hours ago, Goran said:

The answer:

" It doesn't have to be kept in warm water. Water only if washing, or bees can lick it. If comb is uneven there is possibility to uncapper miss the dent. But then I catch it with one side of uncapper with 5-4 needles and get into dent. Mainly slider follows the surface and adjust needles. No worries in that matter. If there left 20 cells unopened, bees will open them."
I asked him about shipping cost to your place, will see.. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Goran, if it helps, we might be able to organise it such that 20 (a made up number) are shipped to a member here, and they distribute them among those that want them for unit cost + shipping + a few dollars for their time. Not sure what others have in mind, but I’d happily do that. If I’m breaking a rule here by suggesting that, appologies mods.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kaihoka said:

@Goran I could probably get a clone from china but iI often pay more to reward people for there good ideas or to firms that pay decent wages .

I recently brought a shakti mat for $70 instead of $30  because the firm got them made in india by people on a decent wage .

He got few copies of his uncapper, he said after few days in honey they started to " yellow".. So maybe it is not just mass production, the quality is different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cBank said:

@Goran, if it helps, we might be able to organise it such that 20 (a made up number) are shipped to a member here, and they distribute them among those that want them for unit cost + shipping + a few dollars for their time. Not sure what others have in mind, but I’d happily do that. If I’m breaking a rule here by suggesting that, appologies mods.

" For one piece package – DHL 110 euros ; state post 15 euros but travel 10 or so days longer.

For 20 pieces – DHL – 228 euros; state post 45 euros."

6 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

@Gorancan you tell me the width of the tool? Thanks

Later today if not a problem.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Goran said:

" For one piece package – DHL 110 euros ; state post 15 euros but travel 10 or so days longer.

For 20 pieces – DHL – 228 euros; state post 45 euros."

Later today if not a problem.

Thanks @Goran. Is state post ok? Insured? I don’t imagine anyone is in a great hurry, and NZ$500 is quite a lot for shipping!

3 hours ago, john berry said:

I decided to beat the rain yesterday and went and got a Ute load after the farmers market. It would have helped if I'd remembered my smoker and hive tool. The bees were actually pretty chilled considering and the tire iron of the DMax was usable if not ideal. I got to try out my new ventilated bee suit. First time I've ever had one and also the first time I've had a one-piece suit. Verdict. Awkward to get into, painful to zip up hood (I have long hair) and wearing it feels like being naked inside a huge plastic pot mit . It was however a bit cooler than my normal gear so I think I'll put it behind the seat for those really hot days.

You have to put your hair in a bun on top of your head .

Its the only way that works with long hair and a bee suit .

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

@Gorancan you tell me the width of the tool? Thanks

Our kid has better ruler.. :11_blush:

o4.jpg

o5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Wow! great dosh in Queen rearing huh at that price! What price a selected AI breeder Queen presently?

I reckon it's an error but you never know.........if Manuka is still gold than the Q's to go in those hives should be too. Shouldn't they?

Edited by Ali
for the puss

Summer queens are generally really good but the problem is nobody wants them at this time of year.

2 hours ago, john berry said:

Summer queens are generally really good but the problem is nobody wants them at this time of year.

At $700 each, I'm thinking it would not only be the hobby beeks with watering eyes, unless it was a proper Betta breeder.

On 14/01/2019 at 10:46 AM, cBank said:

Thanks @Goran. Is state post ok? Insured? I don’t imagine anyone is in a great hurry, and NZ$500 is quite a lot for shipping!

I got the answer, the state post is OK. He said all he sent through it came to their destinations.. He mentioned if something doesn't reach destination he will compensate, but so far he had no such case. He mentioned that is paying by paypal. His email and phone is in youtube video..

I apologize to Admin for something I casually drop into this topic and it prevail as off topic.. If all should be deleted, please do so, I won't write about it more. 

By the way to be on topic, at my place short warm spell ( 5-10C) and await drop in temp and snow. Lost one colony ( some who love statistics 1,62% losses so far ). The rest seems, simply said OK. Honey of course I didn't sold, I got my stand and so far don't drop down.. Extra class black locust to go on extra low price... no way.. 

Lot of losses around me stunned me and got me worried when I lost one colony, but as time passes I think it will come similar as each season for me ?

• Like 2

@Gorangood for you not dropping your prices on quality honey.

honey is hard to get at times and certainly a lot of hard work and deserves to be valued above other condiments which are manufactured in factories. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Goran said:

I got the answer, the state post is OK. He said all he sent through it came to their destinations.. He mentioned if something doesn't reach destination he will compensate, but so far he had no such case. He mentioned that is paying by paypal. His email and phone is in youtube video..

I apologize to Admin for something I casually drop into this topic and it prevail as off topic.. If all should be deleted, please do so, I won't write about it more. 

I'm a starter to try these well made uncappers. The state mail seems they way to go but will enquire re freight at this end too.

Does anyone wish to lead on here in organising and distributing to participants for a group buy?

I'm happy to give it a go but someone else is welcome to instead as like most I get a bit pressed trying to do too much (nearly all the time!).

@Trevor Gibson, would this be your thing to get off the ground?

Should we start a thread for those interested? 

@Goran, many thanks for all your efforts. Can you post a link to the website please?

• Like 1