tommy dave

January 2019 Apiary Diary

Dunedin hive stacks are getting a bit hectic. Extracted a few boxes earlier this summer from the two hives, but now they're fairly full again but largely uncapped. Going to have to add a couple more boxes to each of them, which means making some sort of step. I want to under-super and leave each hive with two near capped boxes on top => means lifting full-weight boxes (3/4 luckily) onto the top of what will become ten box stacks... might be a tomorrow job. Wish me luck!

• Like 2

here's one for @kaihoka, a few days ago a mate of mine decided to jump out of the family car in karamea and kayak back to nelson rather than endure the drive. I suspected he'd end up in your area trying to hitch out or something, but i guess he must have got the forecast marine window as last update was that he'd made it around the spit.

• Like 2

Goodluck !

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tommy dave said:

here's one fndor @kaihoka, a few days ago a mate of mine decided to jump out of the family car in karamea and kayak back to nelson rather than endure the drive. I suspected he'd end up in your area trying to hitch out or something, but i guess he must have got the forecast marine window as last update was that he'd made it around the spit.

well he will have a tail wind the whole way up along the coast.

i had some foreign wooffers here once who decided to hitch to anatori , walk to big river and then walk to karamea.

i said they were crazy and unprepared.

they got sick of the trip half way along the heaphy coast and called in the rescue helicopter.

Edited by kaihoka
  • Sad 1

@tommy dave This $78 work platform is a great option to save your back.

It has adjustable legs, so works on a sloping site, will fit two boxes so I usually stack supers on left and top brood on the right. I use a the hive mat under the supers, and take an extra hive mat for the brood box to give some beespace and save squashing bees. Strong enough to stand on with a heavy super. It fits across the back seat of the car too.

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/rhino-work-platform_p00861589

"Adjustable height from 0.58m to 0.87m

Aluminium construction

120kg domestic load rating"

"Product Dimensions (mm) W:305 H:900 L:1100"

• Good Info 2

Any suggestions on storing unused Ross rounds foundation. A few frames were filled but others in the super weren’t touched. Write off the foundation/ drawn comb but not filled?

or can I freeze /store til next season?

Posted (edited)

I don't know why the foundation and or drawn combs wouldn't keep in dry storage. The usual wax moth, mould risks as any comb I suspect.

I don't do rounds so I'm shooting in the dark but comb is comb is it not?

Edited by Ali
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ali said:

I don't know why the foundation and or drawn combs wouldn't keep in dry storage. The usual wax moth, mould risks as any comb I suspect.

I don't do rounds so I'm shooting in the dark but comb is comb is it not?

Foundation is ok to store normally.  Drawn will go mouldy. It will have honey or moisture residue in it.  

If you have the space, deep freeze is best.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JohnF said:

Any suggestions on storing unused Ross rounds foundation. A few frames were filled but others in the super weren’t touched. Write off the foundation/ drawn comb but not filled?

or can I freeze /store til next season?

by way of example, another beekeeper friend I know uses poly mini mating nucs there must be 50 or more of them. These use 3 or 4 little rectangular combs on top bars. During the season honey combs are removed from these as they run out of space and are stored. During winter the hives are fed back these honey combs. The only reason I mention it is that is a bit similar to the ross rounds. In order to store these combs of feed honey, he keeps  them in the shed spaced apart by about a top bar width between each comb. This allows air and light and space between combs with no hive mat or covers. If they are placed together in a box in the dark the moths can generate heat and take over, but with the combs spaced apart and ventilated he has no problems.  But if you have freezer space, that is the low stress option for sure.

• Good Info 2

Hive lids hot enough to fry an egg on today.

If I left hive tool on top of adjacent hive, would have to do a hive tool juggle to keep from burning fingers.

• Haha 1

On 1/01/2019 at 11:39 AM, tommy dave said:

Dunedin hive stacks are getting a bit hectic. Extracted a few boxes earlier this summer from the two hives, but now they're fairly full again but largely uncapped. Going to have to add a couple more boxes to each of them, which means making some sort of step. I want to under-super and leave each hive with two near capped boxes on top => means lifting full-weight boxes (3/4 luckily) onto the top of what will become ten box stacks... might be a tomorrow job. Wish me luck!

Where’s the ‘awesome ‘ button!

• Agree 1

Bees very happy today .

First day for 10 days that they can fly freely without gale force winds .

• Like 2

@Oma I am making some new queens using hive doc nucs with QE bottoms.

I took a half filled 3/4 supper off and put it under the house in garage 5 days ago .

But now the wind has stopped the garage is full of bees.

Last yr they would have ignored it but we have very little flow on.

4 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Last yr they would have ignored it but we have very little flow on.

Wow cant imagine “nothing” flowering, there’s always something with the last large flowering being koromiko, And of course the dreaded willow dew ?.  The main flow is much earlier here than other years, will be interesting to see how early it finishes.  How do I get in touch with you @kaihoka ? My golden rod patch is doing nicely it hasn’t become rampant and remains as a slowly growing clump.  It’s not flowering yet but I promise you a plant or two along with my version of Phacelia honey.  I also have plenty of seeds of Phacelia but I think you have those yourself?  

I don’t raise queens the girls seem to manage that quite nicely without input from me and most years I notice queens being replaced by the hive in the late summer.  Are you raising Italians? I’m always delighted when i see lovely yellow bees, 99% of mine have a strong influence of carni running through them, must be what the commercials run round here.

• Like 1

@Oma I can be messaged.

There are things flowering but not a lot flowing .

Not enough for the amount of hives around me . And we are having our spring winds late .

But all the migrant hives have nice italian dones so I like to make queens now .

The weather will settle and I will have good matings .

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

@Oma I can be messaged.

Probably something I’m not doing right. Maybe you could message me? Cheers 

3 hours ago, Oma said:

Probgot bly something I’m not d oing right. Maybe you could message me? Cheers 

No i Did something wrong .

When i Got renewal notice i Paid $50 into a saved payee in my bank records .

I remember now that things changed so my money is floating in cyberspace or in grants consolidated fund .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I extracted 35 frames last night to free up a couple of boxes, and I tried using one of those roller pricker things instead of the heat gun.

It worked so well, far better than I expected. I’m unsure how many litres it is, but the weight is 55kgs. This is vastly more honey out of each frame than I usually get.

As a side note, lifting boxes in this weather is deeply unpleasant.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

1 hour ago, cBank said:

I extractedwas35 frames last night to  free up a couple of boxes, and I tried using one of those roller pricker things instead of the heat gun.

It worked so well, far better than I expected. I’m unsure how many litres it is, but the weight is 55kgs. This is vastly more honey out of each frame than I usually get.

As a side note, lifting boxes in this weather is deeply unpleasant.

I ended up just using a fork .

But i was not using  a spin extracter

6 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I ended up just using a fork .

But i was not using  a spin extracter

I bought one of those.. I think it will be great.. Cost me around 22 nz dollars, sad thing I talked with a guy who made it and soon all went copying it ( as he said to me patenting is long, years and complicated, money cost..) . Even there are cheap copies all around, if I need more will buy his. One site which make and sell copies at a lot lower price even use the same video he made replacing the audio ( his talk) with music.  Cruel world.. This video below is his.

• Like 5

@Goran where would you buy one .

It looks pretty usefull .

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@Goran where would you buy one .

It looks pretty usefull .

Below video on Youtube is e-mail and phone number of the guy who invented it. I was recently in Serbia ( the guy who made them live there) and bought few for me and one beek friend. It cost around 22nzd ( 1500 serbian Dinars), but shipping cost to NZ may be issue.. I may ask at my post office what would be shipping cost for such and that should be similar from Serbia.

The pics are from one I bought. 

o1.jpg

o2.jpg

o3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

1 minute ago, Goran said:

Below video on Youtube is e-mail and phone number of the guy who invented it. I was recently in Serbia ( the guy who made them live there) and bought few for me and one beek friend. It cost around 22nzd ( 1500 serbian Dinars), but shipping cost to NZ may be issue.. I may ask at my post office what would be shipping cost for such and that should be similar from Serbia.

The pics are from one I bought. 

o1.jpg

o2.jpg

o3.jpg

Do you dip them in Hot water to assist with cutting, like a hot knife does.

2 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Do you dip them in Hot water to assist with cutting, like a hot knife does.

The author didn't mention it, I didn't meant to do so. I think not needed, but logically it could help if do so.. If You want I can ask the man is there important difference to dip it in hot water or not. We are still in winter and I won't try it soon.

2 minutes ago, Goran said:

The author didn't mention it, I didn't meant to do so. I think not needed, but logically it could help if do so.. If You want I can ask the man is there important difference to dip it in hot water or not. We are still in winter and I won't try it soon.

Thanks.  That would be helpful.  It looks very good.  What was it like on uneven comb

• Agree 2