Beeman1

Marketing honey

41 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

What's the gist? What does 10K do?  And what is the marketing selling? 

Mr Clow is giving things a nudge. Which is great also.  Great way to blend Ceracell and beekeepers together.   

The big difference I feel between Cera and Ecr-   Cera feels more family (if that's the right word) and Ecr has become more coporate.  I buy from both, though tend to gravitate towards Ecr. 

The 10k gets us a monhs exposure to a market of 100 million foodies

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CraBee said:

@Rob's BP what is your view/analysis of the manuka honey market at present?

Hi CraBee, 

MPI and Govt significantly hurt the industry. Their delay after delay to publish their standard meant the whole industry was on hold for ~1-2 years. Then MPI came out with a standard that wasn't a standard i.e. got modified. Uncertainty over product status meant buyers weren't confident, demand decreased, product stockpiled, prices dropped. This plus the extra and long drawn out attention meant news and uncertainty filtered out to all and sundry, affecting retailer and consumer confidence, therefore decreasing demand and pricing.

Lastly re. the standard, I think we're all agreed now that it is not accurate enough. Conventional thinking is: Only Manuka honey has DHA/MGO. Only the best and/or purest Manuka honey has the highest MGO (containing anything else would dilute it down). So how can much of the highest MGO Manuka honey not pass MPI's standard? Something wrong with the standard that's what. So beeks that used to get top $ for top MGO now get much, much less for it. Govt should have just done what the now Deputy PM said before the election "Just adopt the UMFHA standard", quick, simple, scientific, already adopted by 80% of the Manuka industry. Support this rather than erode confidence in Manuka, UMF and the industry. 

Poor weather over the past 3 years, and overstocking has resulted in reduced hive yields, this and the preceding point have been a double whammy. 

So, overall the gloss has gone off the industry. It is less not more than it was. By trying to 'help' it become a $1.2b industry, MPI/Govt's help actually helped it go backwards, certainly in the short term. Agree they had to set or support a standard, but...

As for consumers and markets. In general, there isn't the hysteria/mystique/intrigue that there once was when it was the latest, new/hot thing and (some of) the rich just had to have it. But on the other hand, Manuka has become more widely accepted and written about as factual by more and more in the mass media/lifestyle publications/social media. So it is trickling down from the richest towards those who are well off. We're recently seeing Manuka start to get acceptance and distribution into large format retailers in the States, so taking it's availability and awareness (but not price) to another level, and reducing reliance on Asia, especially China. Awareness, distribution and availability has spread out down the wealth triangle. 

Australian (and others in future?) "Manuka" is an issue. They can plant/grow/harvest much more leptospermum than we can. Theirs tastes worse than ours does. If allowed to piggyback off NZ's, with very loose standards both of definition and what they write on labels, different taste, higher MGO (in some cases), higher volume, it's not good for us. Let's support and hope UMFHA's Mānuka Honey Appellation Society's efforts starting several years ago succeed. This would result in protection, higher value, demand and prestige for NZ Manuka.

So overall we're in a different phase of product life cycle and market maturity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Good Info 10

Posted (edited)

Thankyou @Rob’s BP for answering that question it is so good to have someone at the packing/marketing side of things give a clear and honest appraisal of where we are right now.

i know there’s a reason I can’t tag ribs no something to do with the apostrophe on an iPad so if a mod could fix that would be great 

Edited by dansar
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

@frazzledfozzle, it's this apostrophe on the iPad 

43547FB3-5AC2-4801-B046-5DD418C04DA8.jpeg

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys 

We have made some progress  in new markets overseas and looking to  buy clover  and multi floral manuka.

Its be a long haul to get to this point with lots of time and money being put in 7 days a week .

If you are keen to support us drop us a line 

Thanks

• Like 2

ther you go @jamesc ....then you can go on ya island holiday.😉

• Haha 1

On 13/03/2019 at 8:59 AM, Gino de Graaf said:

What's the gist? What does 10K do?  And what is the marketing selling? 

Mr Clow is giving things a nudge. Which is great also.  Great way to blend Ceracell and beekeepers together.   

The big difference I feel between Cera and Ecr-   Cera feels more family (if that's the right word) and Ecr has become more coporate.  I buy from both, though tend to gravitate towards Ecr. 

Especially with their new paraffin wax dipped assembled and painted boxes and ready in days

On 1/03/2019 at 3:00 PM, jamesc said:

Well there ya go .... it's amazing what a lot of hard work, attention to detail  and luck can achieve !

Wow, just done my calculations 18,408kgs this season and that was pretty hard out

On 13/03/2019 at 12:10 PM, Rob's BP said:

Hi CraBee, 

MPI and Govt significantly hurt the industry. Their delay after delay to publish their standard meant the whole industry was on hold for ~1-2 years. Then MPI came out with a standard that wasn't a standard i.e. got modified. Uncertainty over product status meant buyers weren't confident, demand decreased, product stockpiled, prices dropped. This plus the extra and long drawn out attention meant news and uncertainty filtered out to all and sundry, affecting retailer and consumer confidence, therefore decreasing demand and pricing.

Lastly re. the standard, I think we're all agreed now that it is not accurate enough. Conventional thinking is: Only Manuka honey has DHA/MGO. Only the best and/or purest Manuka honey has the highest MGO (containing anything else would dilute it down). So how can much of the highest MGO Manuka honey not pass MPI's standard? Something wrong with the standard that's what. So beeks that used to get top $ for top MGO now get much, much less for it. Govt should have just done what the now Deputy PM said before the election "Just adopt the UMFHA standard", quick, simple, scientific, already adopted by 80% of the Manuka industry. Support this rather than erode confidence in Manuka, UMF and the industry. 

Poor weather over the past 3 years, and overstocking has resulted in reduced hive yields, this and the preceding point have been a double whammy. 

So, overall the gloss has gone off the industry. It is less not more than it was. By trying to 'help' it become a $1.2b industry, MPI/Govt's help actually helped it go backwards, certainly in the short term. Agree they had to set or support a standard, but...

As for consumers and markets. In general, there isn't the hysteria/mystique/intrigue that there once was when it was the latest, new/hot thing and (some of) the rich just had to have it. But on the other hand, Manuka has become more widely accepted and written about as factual by more and more in the mass media/lifestyle publications/social media. So it is trickling down from the richest towards those who are well off. We're recently seeing Manuka start to get acceptance and distribution into large format retailers in the States, so taking it's availability and awareness (but not price) to another level, and reducing reliance on Asia, especially China. Awareness, distribution and availability has spread out down the wealth triangle. 

Australian (and others in future?) "Manuka" is an issue. They can plant/grow/harvest much more leptospermum than we can. Theirs tastes worse than ours does. If allowed to piggyback off NZ's, with very loose standards both of definition and what they write on labels, different taste, higher MGO (in some cases), higher volume, it's not good for us. Let's support and hope UMFHA's Mānuka Honey Appellation Society's efforts starting several years ago succeed. This would result in protection, higher value, demand and prestige for NZ Manuka.

So overall we're in a different phase of product life cycle and market maturity.

You just hit the nail on the head with that one

• Agree 1

The past season production wise has  been great and going into the winter the hives are monsters 😊

Beekeeping has changed now forever you need a marketing arm  now. Team up with a group of beekeepers or join the  cooperative  that Bruce setting up but do something!

Just doing nothing and waiting for a phone from a honey buyers I don't think going to work 😕.

We have been pushing along but it all takes time. Lots of hours but I think our future looks alot brighter for going what we are doing.

Marketing our honey ourselves. 

• Like 1

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone can help out with and export order .

I need 1 drum of the following honey 

Manuka 5+,10+,15+,20+

Pohutakawa and tawiri 

This is a trial order and could be on going 

Contact my details on profile 

Thanks guys 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beeman1 said:

Manuka 5+,10+,15+,20+

Pohutakawa and tawiri 

Thanks guys 

Hows honey dew, kamahi  and clover sales going ?

Posted (edited)

Got clover doing in this order as well 

Honeydew in the final stages of a confirmed order . Everything takes forever 

Edited by Beeman1

5 hours ago, Beeman1 said:

Manuka 5+,10+,15+,20+

Pohutakawa and tawiri 

Thanks guys 

Howzit,any interest in rewa or kanuka?

2 hours ago, Phil46 said:

Howzit,any interest in rewa or kanuka?

Have you the had it tested ? Pollen count  and c4

I be keen to have a look at it and I think a have a market here in  Canterbury 😊. Send me details please 

• Like 2

We are currently talking to a honey agent to promote and sell our honey overseas. The question is are there any beekeepers out there prepared to work together to find new markets overseas?

This Means putting hands in pockets and paying a agent to act on our  behalf .

I looking for 10 beekeepers interested let's talk 

On 9/06/2019 at 10:02 AM, Beeman1 said:

Manuka 5+,10+,15+,20+

Pohutakawa and tawiri 

Thanks guys 

What’s the interest in tawiri like ?

Cripes, you had me googling TAWIRI, the Tanzanian Wildlife Research Institute !  

It's Tawari. It's no wonder there are so many wars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Has anyone seen Adam .....

Well everyone must have sold they honey and not worry about finding new markets off shore. 

Adam Boot must be so busy selling honey doesn't have time for this group

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I hear ya brother .....  we've moved on from selling honey and are selling other stuff that is more saleable.   

And yes  ..... where the heck is Adam ..... on a beach in Queensland ?

Where ever you are Adam .... we value your input and would be interested to hear your take on the how the  Honey industry is "progressing".

Edited by jamesc

On 25/08/2019 at 12:16 AM, yesbut said:

I am here. Watching and reading with interest. Just started to find the Forum a little frustrating and took some time out from it. 

For me it has been head down arse up launching a new brand and range to drive the non Manuka market. Then Singapore and then USA meeting very many retailers and shouting about NZ Manuka and NZ honey in general. 

So - Anything you want me to comment on in particular, just fire away?

Adam

fullsizeoutput_40c.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Interesting line up of Mt Somers flavored honey. Does all honey in this label come from that station? 

Not at all. Mount Somers is a brand name we have registered and owned for many years.

My understanding is that Mt Somers Station is part of Mt Somers area - part of the Ashburton District Council