Jump to content
Beeman1

Marketing honey

Recommended Posts

As I see it few beekeeper should  band together and go under the same label. Strength in numbers but hard to find beekeepers that will work together as we are all individuals 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

 

I would love someone to do the maths on that to see how much a beekeeper is left with after all expenses I don’t think it would be much at all.

The future of this industry is in reducing production costs and maximizing returns to the Beekeepers

To achieve this we need to streamline all processes and take control of marketing as much as possible.
 

Two aspects Ive got in my sights

On site Harvesting/ extraction

Co-op Marketing

Beeks laugh at the notion of large scale onsite Harvesting but I already have the concept 95% worked out and it will save a huge amount of time/money

Then once that money is saved the next goal is to ensure its not just stolen by shiny's.
Beeks need to rat out the ticket clippers and take control of their product, this is the only way forward

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Beeks need to rat out the ticket clippers

But actually our entire economic system from bottom to top relies on ticket clipping.  Do you really want 60% of the population on the dole ?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yesbut said:

But actually our entire economic system from bottom to top relies on ticket clipping.  Do you really want 60% of the population on the dole ?

60% of the workforce are not ticket clippers by the generally accepted definition of the term.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Philbee said:

The future of this industry is in reducing production costs and maximizing returns to the Beekeepers

To achieve this we need to streamline all processes and take control of marketing as much as possible.
 

Two aspects Ive got in my sights

On site Harvesting/ extraction

Co-op Marketing

Beeks laugh at the notion of large scale onsite Harvesting but I already have the concept 95% worked out and it will save a huge amount of time/money

Then once that money is saved the next goal is to ensure its not just stolen by shiny's.
Beeks need to rat out the ticket clippers and take control of their product, this is the only way forward

 

I'm OK with on-site extraction, but it always seems to involve the removal of comb.  I want it left on.  Does your solution leave it on?

That would be a key thing for me.

 

Also, if not sure about extractors being ticket clippers, they need to provide a premises, the plant and machinery, and the people to

operate it all in accordance with the regulations, and it is only for a few months each year, otherwise it just sits there.  I've had a look

at it doing it but can't justify it.

 

I agree bk's taking control of the marketing side of it is the best way for us to add value.  Where that becomes difficult is individual

bk's having the resources, and the nous/wherewithal in those area's. 

 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, CraBee said:

I'm OK with on-site extraction, but it always seems to involve the removal of comb.  I want it left on.  Does your solution leave it on?

That would be a key thing for me.

Comb off, so is lost and only for plastic frames

Comb off is ok for some and would lead to very good wax health over time rather than the opposite.
There are obviously drawbacks but an upside is a significant logistical saving

Edited by Philbee
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Philbee said:

Comb off, so is lost and only for plastic frames

Comb off is ok for some and would lead to very good wax health over time rather than the opposite.
There are obviously drawbacks but an upside is a significant logistical saving

I emailed Revolutionary Beekeeping to ask if they are still in business 

No reply 

Does anyone know ?

Actually, in theory , full removal of comb is appealing for keeping things fresh and healthy. Are we allowed to extract old brood comb with honey these days or not ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Philbee said:

Two aspects Ive got in my sights

On site Harvesting/ extraction

Co-op Marketing

Beeks laugh at the notion of large scale onsite Harvesting but I already have the concept 95% worked out and it will save a huge amount of time/money

 

 

Used to be done that way. @John Berry may enjoy this pic.

 

1001051444_OldExtractingSetUp.JPG.4c835bea9d1c1679df9bf36967acc5a4.JPG


 

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, M4tt said:

I emailed Revolutionary Beekeeping to ask if they are still in business 

No reply 

Does anyone know ?

Actually, in theory , full removal of comb is appealing for keeping things fresh and healthy. Are we allowed to extract old brood comb with honey these days or not ? 

Yes they are still in operation but my info is that they arnt buying at the moment but costumers can still send in honey for processing

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/01/2019 at 11:41 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

 

chasing  the blending dollar was very beneficial to the producer it was a no brainer.

At $4.80kg landed they are welcome to get their honey from those producers who will supply.

We wouldn’t even consider it. 

A company in Kaitaia has been buying Kanuka I'm told for 6$ a kg as the season has been too poor up in Northland to even produce their own. 

 

  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

A company in Kaitaia has been buying Kanuka I'm told for 6$ a kg as the season has been too poor up in Northland to even produce their own. 

 

Is that because it did not flower or the weather was not suitable ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

A company in Kaitaia has been buying Kanuka I'm told for 6$ a kg as the season has been too poor up in Northland to even produce their own. 

 

 

If the season was poor for them and they need Kanuka honey I sure as heck wouldn’t be selling to them for $6

 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Is that because it did not flower or the weather was not suitable ?

Kanuka flowered just fine.

Many view Kanuka as just bush honey, and price accordingly.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

 

Many view Kanuka as just bush honey, 

 

As is Manuka, it’s the spin that adds the value :) 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just back the truck up. Think of this industry and the sustained growth it has achieved before we repeatedly use words such as 'Spin'? This is no longer relevant or constructive.

I have been involved with multiple products, multiple brands and multiple industries. I live and breath marketing. Marketing spin will only take any product so far. Long term customer satisfaction cannot be faked. A product that is built on spin and hype is short-lived with maybe 1 or best 2 years per market/country and ever reducing as the truth catches up with the spin. 

 

Whatever your personal thoughts on Manuka are? The industry is so far past 'Spin' the value of using the word has been lost many years ago. Regardless of you view of the supporting science the consumer has decided. The consumer is repeatedly purchasing the product. More are listing to the growing anecdotal positive feedback and responding to the own experiences. The positive feedback is spiralling up not down. Short term bubble product lifecycles can be built on spin, hype and irrational desire and a response to crowd following. When a product is more than this, consumers repeat purchase over long periods for strong and rational reasons. Particularly when the product is expensive. 

 

There are Manuka products now for eye's, throat, nasal, stomach, skin, hair as well as increasingly for wound care. These products are in mainstream pharmacy chains throughout the world. This simply would not be sustainable and growing if the consumer could never identify positive reaction/result. 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda like Tumeric and Magnesium you can find it in everything right now :) 

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

 Marketing spin will only take any product so far. Long term customer satisfaction cannot be faked. A product that is built on spin and hype is short-lived with maybe 1 or best 2 years per market/country and ever reducing as the truth catches up with the spin. ......... This simply would not be sustainable and growing if the consumer could never identify positive reaction/result.

 

I agree with you this is the case, sometimes. 

 

But it is not always the case. Think Rhino horn, bear bile, tiger bones. All of those products have near zero health benefits, but have been highly valued for thousands of years.

 

Spin can work. It has to be spun correctly though. ?

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spin can work, should be, spin does work.

 

Example:  Coca cola  -- Coke adds life. (slogan).

 

and they,ve got global domination in soft drinks, nuff said

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

Spin can work, should be, spin does work.

Example:  Coca cola  -- Coke adds life. (slogan).

and they,ve got global domination in soft drinks, nuff said

 

So the general tenor of the last few posts is that Manuka has no benefits at all it's just spin ? Or do I have it wrong ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Find me someone whose health improved markedly by eating manuka honey. ?

 

Should qualify that, it has worked for people with stomach ulcers, by killing the bacteria infesting their stomach ulcers. Cures have been effected.

 

But other than stomach ulcers, it will be hard to find anyone who has been cured of anything by eating it.

Edited by Alastair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was given some manuka comb honey from up north.

i have been using it a wound dressing mixed with garlic.

i have alternated it with occasional applications of crystaderm.

it has been very effective at clearing up infections and drawing out deep splinters etc.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, yesbut said:

So the general tenor of the last few posts is that Manuka has no benefits at all it's just spin ? Or do I have it wrong ?

Yes it does have benefits, you are wrong, but as Alistair said spin should be used correctly.

I just highlighted that spin can be spun however we like, it all comes down to consumer perception.

 

But you already knew that?

Edited by Bee Good
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mum was putting manuka honey on a cancerous growth on her head.   I think it was her doctor told her any honey would do.  I would like to enquire more about what he said and thinks.   Rotorua 

Edited by Paul Beer
More details
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's all topical applications. It is usually presented as something to eat.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hrrmp .... I recieved a care package from up north the other day . To be honest I was humbled. We had the privelige of working with a family up on the East Cape who asked for some of our Dew. 

I sent back a few jars.

 

A few weeks later a box arrived in the post filled with with manuka blend and ten plus and lozenges. To be honest, I could'nt tell the difference between the ten plus and the blend .... but .....   It's all gone and I have heaps of dew here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...