Beeman1

Marketing honey

Had a marketing meeting this week  came up with ideas that no one is currently not doing.

The supermarkets is a area that we are not going to enter as I see it .

I would say  that price of honey in supermarket with drop as competition heats up . 

Hmmm.... the way i see it, as competition heats up all prices will trend down... or am i missing something?.

• Agree 2

Totally agree  been told already clover  0-9 in colour  $6  dark colour $4

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Beeman1 said:

Had a marketing meeting this week  came up with ideas that no one is currently not doing.

The supermarkets is a area that we are not going to enter as I see it .

I would say  that price of honey in supermarket with drop as competition heats up . 

steep learning curve? brainstorming and experimentation makes sense - good luck!

interested in the avoidance of supermarkets - is that mostly due to not being able to get it on the shelf for cheaper than the current offerings? or simply the very small size of that market vs nz production?

1 hour ago, tommy dave said:

steep learning curve? brainstorming and experimentation makes sense - good luck!

interested in the avoidance of supermarkets - is that mostly due to not being able to get it on the shelf for cheaper than the current offerings? or simply the very small size of that market vs nz production?

We got asked supply a supermarket but the margins  are not that great and we are looking for a bigger margin to stay profitable .

On a poor crop year we need $8 and on good year $6 just to break even 

The added value products we are going to do will do more than this .

Talking to other beekeeper they need a avg of $8 a kg to break even

Today at Pak n Slave Wairau Rd, Airbourne Honey, $6 99 per 500 gms. How low will it go?

31 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Today at Pak n Slave Wairau Rd, Airbourne Honey, $6 99 per 500 gms. How low will it go?

This is going to be the great depression for beekeepers ?

How long it will last anyone guess my guess 2 years but beekeepers need take control start rebuilding there industry from the ground up 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beeman1 said:

This is going to be the great depression for beekeepers ?

How long it will last anyone guess my guess 2 years but beekeepers need take control start rebuilding there industry from the ground up 

I think two years is pretty optimistic 

• Agree 2

Darn it..... I knew I should have taken the summer off?

Not meaning to be doom and gloom but what realistically are the options ?

before Manuka there was a market for our other honeys but what did everyone get per kg ? I know at that time we mainly had honeydew and we could sell it but we only got paid $2.75- $3 kg what would we get for it now assuming the market could be re established ?

whats the minimum price each of us needs to make a profit ? 

Its all very well looking at other markets but it has to be profitable or it’s a waste of time.

17 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Not meaning to be doom and gloom but what realistically are the options ?

before Manuka there was a market for our other honeys but what did everyone get per kg ? I know at that time we mainly had honeydew and we could sell it but we only got paid $2.75- $3 kg what would we get for it now assuming the market could be re established ?

whats the minimum price each of us needs to make a profit ? 

Its all very well looking at other markets but it has to be profitable or it’s a waste of time.

I agree so value added products way to go. But all takes time and energy to make a new market different to everyone else 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beeman1 said:

I agree so value added products way to go. But all takes time and energy to make a new market different to everyone else 

Or you get out and run a motel or warehouse

Hows this for marketing

4C45DAF3-2EC1-45C6-8C74-70406526D0AD.jpeg

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Or you get out and run a motel or warehouse

I have grown my hives and now a great time to develop  the marketing and sales side . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 12/01/2019 at 10:14 AM, Beeman1 said:

As the forum pedant, I must point out this double negative means you've come up with the same ideas that everyone is already doing. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha 4

On 13/01/2019 at 12:44 PM, frazzledfozzle said:

I know at that time we mainly had honeydew and we could sell it but we only got paid $2.75- $3 kg what would we get for it now assuming the market could be re established ?

If we are talking about selling to the main players I expect the grower would get b.... all just like right now. I don't think that is about to change now the new model is in place.

Possibly selling to an enterprising start up would show a better return.

On 13/01/2019 at 9:36 AM, Sailabee said:

$6 99 per 500 gms

Loss leader or other publicity type stunt. IMO
Its is irrelevant how low it goes

Whats relevant is how many tonnes are sold at that price

More importantly, how many tonnes at that price over what length of time

Edited by Philbee

I'll just post some odd thoughts... probably won't help the marketing cause tho.. this is just a stream of conciousness really.  This is not about manuka.  

I do virtually all the supermarket shopping for the family, I'm in there about 4 times a week, hardly buy any honey, but yesterday was tempted by a little pot of Arataki clover which was $4.99.  Lugged the shopping into the kitchen and set it down, and my 11-year-old son appeared, rummaged through the bags and found the honey, ripped the top off and dug out a spoonful and went away with it, saying nothing.  I just asked him about it now, and he said he regretted it, the honey was too sweet.  So I get to eat the rest of it, yay.  I have always loved honey.

He loves mainly comb honey and we are set on trying to produce some for ourselves (and maybe for sale as well) as he has eaten probably 6 x 340g containers of it in the past year or so.  It was his idea and strong desire to keep bees in the first place, so after a couple of years of me trying to get used to the idea and trying to come up with the money for it, we started recently with 2 hives.  Being new beekeepers I just have so many questions and partly I think and wonder about the business side of it, my common sense and business experience scream no though.  But I just drive a truck for the laundry now, it's an easy job so I have heaps of free mental energy.  

It's been a massive eye-opener to see some of what's going on in this game.  I would have to say that a part of the problem with the industry is that (hobbyist?) beekeeping is presented in a glowing light.  Or perhaps it is just taking a while for people to snap out of the dream phase of a couple of years ago.  Too many people are getting into this.  Last year we went along to the Chch bee club and met a couple there who had just jumped in going from one hive to 100 hives in 18 months and as months went by I gradually realized they may have regretted it now although I don't know their financial picture at all.  I can easily imagine people like myself getting a positive notion about it and jumping in boots and all and getting burnt alive.  I'm glad I did not go overboard.  I have spent many hours lately reading back over this forum and you people have some astonishing stories and accumulated wisdom and experience.  I notice myself new people coming along after us, and I feel like warning them somehow to stay out.  

I love honey but have cut right back on buying in the last few years because of the jump in prices.  Even more so since we got our own bees, I thought I would try and wait til we can take off some of our own honey.  Thinking commercially though, I seriously wondered what would happen if I jumped in and offered honey at the same price as other spreads like it used to be.  I think it would cost millions to do this successfully (to wholesale completely erase the notion that it is expensive and get a million NZers buying and eating 500g/week again at say the same price as Anathoth jam or less -$9/kg at the supermarket).  I'm only thinking nationally, I realize.  Not sure whether there is a worldwide price resistance to non-manuka.  OK I'll stop for now

• Like 5

G'day Paul,

I liked that picture of your truck.... how did you like the MAN ?

Anyway , moving on on ...... no one complains to much about abut 12 bucks for a jug of beer. Gone in half an hour. 500gms of honey at 10 bucks might last about a week. Not abad deal..... Hoina ta ?

• Like 1

It was my favourite of the trucks at that place, although it sure did not have the niceties of the other trucks which were Hino/Isuzu.  I drove the Man about 200,000km, no aircon, manual windows, manual locks.  It had a lot more power than the Hino and very quiet cruising, could not hear engine at highway speed.  Now I'm just driving Isuzu class 2s around Chch, never want to go away overnight any more.  However I did wonder for a while whether I could get a job in beekeeping. 

Edited by Paul Beer

8 hours ago, jamesc said:

no one complains to much about abut 12 bucks for a jug of beer.

Hell would freeze over before I even think of paying that . 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Philbee said:

Loss leader or other publicity type stunt. IMO
Its is irrelevant how low it goes

That price was not a special, and I would suggest that the Pak n Slave chain probably sell far more than most.

Sometimes the supermarkets will put no market up on some product lines. That may be the case here. 

On 13/01/2019 at 9:36 AM, Sailabee said:

For many years the retail price of honey on the supetmarket shelf has been very close to double the wholesale price in the drum. $7 a kg bulk is not too bad.

6 hours ago, Jamo said:

. $7 a kg bulk is not too bad.

I would love someone to do the maths on that to see how much a beekeeper is left with after all expenses I don’t think it would be much at all.