Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi CraBee,  MPI and Govt significantly hurt the industry. Their delay after delay to publish their standard meant the whole industry was on hold for ~1-2 years. Then MPI came out with a standard

Used to be done that way. @John Berry may enjoy this pic.      

I am here. Watching and reading with interest. Just started to find the Forum a little frustrating and took some time out from it.    For me it has been head down arse up launching a new bra

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Beeman1 said:

I am a commercial beekeeper  with over 20 year's experience and over this time have had up and down . This season has been very hard in two areas  1/ getting honey in the boxes   2/ getting a fair price for our hard work.

We as beekeeper need to take control of future and look for new opportunities.

We have employed a marketing person with experience in marketing honey and a sales person both who are full of passion and drive.

We are keen to talk to other beekeepers that are keen to get on board.

If you have honey for sale now or in the future  drop us a email 

Our emails address on our profile 

Hope you all have a great season 

Good start Beeman1
Ill have some questions for Adam and others shortly

As a Beek with commercial interests and activities throughout NZ Ive become very impressed with the Christchurch Beekeeping community.
I do wonder if the Earthquake changed peoples mindset, causing a re-boot and creating a progressive business environment.

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beeman1 said:

I am a commercial beekeeper  with over 20 year's experience and over this time have had up and down . This season has been very hard in two areas  1/ getting honey in the boxes   2/ getting a fair price for our hard work.

We as beekeeper need to take control of future and look for new opportunities.

We have employed a marketing person with experience in marketing honey and a sales person both who are full of passion and drive.

We are keen to talk to other beekeepers that are keen to get on board.

If you have honey for sale now or in the future  drop us a email 

Our emails address on our profile 

Hope you all have a great season 

Great move. Are you looking to trade bulk or are you producing and selling consumer products? What types of honey are you working with? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We selling consumer products to a wide range of customers 

We sold manuka and honey dew to Germany in bulk so will again this year 

Honey we are selling honey dew,  clover ,manuka, thyme, and anything else that other beekeepers offer to us to sell

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ali said:

Begs the question....what do the Germans do with the honey dew?

 

4 -5 years ago honey dew was export to Europe  and Germany was the biggest buyer.

Instead of exporting  some of us start blending it with  manuka for more money  per kg .

Germany wouldn't buy at that price  and we lost the market.

A bit of short term gain but long term pain ?

One exporter sent 11 emails to try to get the dew market back the reply were 

You had orders for dew and chase the dollar  now we have found more reliable sources of dew .

I have been trying to rebuild a market in Germany  that others screwed up 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ali said:

Begs the question....what do the Germans do with the honey dew?

 

There is a large market for Dew into the Germany and then throughout EU food manufacture. The pricing I have seen is now very low. While NZ producers chased the Manuka blending dollar  Germany re sourced from Poland, Canada etc I have seen large volume deals in the last few months as low as $4.80 NZD per kg delivered to Germany. 

  • Good Info 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Beeman1 said:

We selling consumer products to a wide range of customers 

We sold manuka and honey dew to Germany in bulk so will again this year 

Honey we are selling honey dew,  clover ,manuka, thyme, and anything else that other beekeepers offer to us to sell

Why do you not sell the Manuka in NZ rather than an offshore packer. Can you not get as good a price locally? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

 While NZ producers chased the Manuka blending dollar  Germany re sourced from Poland, Canada etc I have seen large volume deals in the last few months as low as $4.80 NZD per kg delivered to Germany. 

 

chasing  the blending dollar was very beneficial to the producer it was a no brainer.

At $4.80kg landed they are welcome to get their honey from those producers who will supply.

We wouldn’t even consider it. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

 

chasing  the blending dollar was very beneficial to the producer it was a no brainer.

At $4.80kg landed they are welcome to get their honey from those producers who will supply.

We wouldn’t even consider it. 

I don't disagree with you in anyway. There was a huge benefit in the short term and a consequent cost in the longterm. I am also pleased to know that you would walk away from $4.80 landed. Others are though and are simply fuelling the fire. The point is that these International prices were in part self inflicted through our exit. It is the cost of re entry. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adam Boot said:

I don't disagree with you in anyway. There was a huge benefit in the short term and a consequent cost in the longterm. I am also pleased to know that you would walk away from $4.80 landed. Others are though and are simply fuelling the fire. The point is that these International prices were in part self inflicted through our exit. It is the cost of re entry. 

 

If they are selling for sub $4  I imagine they won’t be doing it for long .

And agree most definitely self inflicted but so worth it to have had a good period of high prices to get debt paid and something put away for the future both of which would have been a struggle if we hadn’t had the Manuka boom 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

 

If they are selling for sub $4  I imagine they won’t be doing it for long .

And agree most definitely self inflicted but so worth it to have had a good period of high prices to get debt paid and something put away for the future both of which would have been a struggle if we hadn’t had the Manuka boom 

Fair comment. Everyone benefited then. Everyone new that the rules would eventually change therefore their should be no complaints. We just move on. Now it is time to create new markets and new consumer demand. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

 

If they are selling for sub $4  I imagine they won’t be doing it for long .

And agree most definitely self inflicted but so worth it to have had a good period of high prices to get debt paid and something put away for the future both of which would have been a struggle if we hadn’t had the Manuka boom 

Not wanting to start a war, but we are talking about watering down manuka aren't we . The reason why MPI has stuck it's oar in ?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

Fair comment. Everyone benefited then. Everyone new that the rules would eventually change therefore their should be no complaints. We just move on. Now it is time to create new markets and new consumer demand. 

Sorry let me re word that - Everyone benefited then?

I believe we are talking about watering down and I do agree with the MPI move.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, yesbut said:

Not wanting to start a war, but we are talking about watering down manuka aren't we . The reason why MPI has stuck it's oar in ?

Not from what I understand.It was our trading partner in the U.K. that told the N.Z. government regulate or we will.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, yesbut said:

Not wanting to start a war, but we are talking about watering down manuka aren't we . The reason why MPI has stuck it's oar in ?

 

What is manuka ? 

You could talk to a dozen beekeepers and they will all have a different take on what is Manuka honey.

MPI came up with a standard does it actually define Manuka a lot of people say no it doesn’t .

On the flip side now there’s a standard beekeepers will have to work with it or around it whatever they need to do to make it stack.

If you look at it in a different light with the emphasis not on the type of honey but on the activity which is what people were and are still buying on, then as long as the numbers on the label represented the activity in the jar the does it matter to the consumer how much actual “ Manuka” is in the jar ?

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

A new product perhaps @frazzledfozzle? A new name too of course so as not to fall inside the MPI description? Not proposing anything dodgy, it would have to be transparent and honestly described.

Just toying with thoughts here. Active honey with most of the attributes of Manuka but not meeting the MPI standard fully. It would probably have to be defined so as not to end up back where we were with all and sundry blending to the limit and beyond.

@Adam Boot what do you think? A new product? Possibilities?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bighands said:

Not from what I understand.It was our trading partner in the U.K. that told the N.Z. government regulate or we will.

By far the greatest pressure came from China seconded by the EU and UK. China were very close to pulling the plug on all Manuka imports unless we got our act together. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, frazzledfozzle said:

 

is Australia still in the Chinese market ? 

Australian Faux Manuka has very little resonance in China so the quantities would not concern anyone. At this point Australian Faux Manuka is a second class citizen to Genuine Manuka Honey. The impact is at the lower end of other international markets but not China. The irritation with the Australian product is that it has a negative drag effect on lower end pricing. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I like the “Faux Manuka” that’s a phrase I will start using .

Thank you. I try to only use 'Faux Manuka' and 'Jelly Bush' when referring to Australian product. If the phrase 'Faux Manuka' became standard terminology then that would be half the marketing job done.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

Thank you. I try to only use 'Faux Manuka' and 'Jelly Bush' when referring to Australian product. If the phrase 'Faux Manuka' became standard terminology then that would be half the marketing job done.

 

Thats something all of us on nzbees could start doing both in forum talk and in the real world. 

From now on I will always try to use the word faux when talking about Australian  Manuka :) 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

 

Thats something all of us on nzbees could start doing both in forum talk and in the real world. 

From now on I will always try to use the word faux when talking about Australian  Manuka :) 

That would be great. If every one on this forum embraced that saying the the terminology would spread. The phrase has to become habit. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...