Cut Out - Do I seal the old entrance afterwards?

Hi there.

I have just done a cut out from inside the wall of a house. It went well and I think I got most of the bees, and the queen. I will do an inspection in the next few days (at the new location) to make sure.  

My question is, do I seal the entrance to the old hive (in the wall)? There is a bit a buzzing inside, but not the hum of a bee colony (from what I can gather).  

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whenever I have done a cutout, I always advise the owner (who will be responsible for fixing any damage), to fill the space with something so it is no longer a viable space for bees. I have suggested

Id have thought definately. But you don’t want to leave too many inside as they leave a sticky, smelly mess if there are a lot. It’ll attract other insects too.

Yes. Seal the outside hole before you fix up the inside wall.  I would have thought that was pretty logical.

Whenever I have done a cutout, I always advise the owner (who will be responsible for fixing any damage), to fill the space with something so it is no longer a viable space for bees. I have suggested pink batts or chunks of polystyrene. That way if the hole ever opens up again, there won't be a space for bees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1