Alastair

DHA Question

I've been trying to understand how to calculate what the potential growth in MG would be based on the level of DHA.

Done a bit of googling and found out it is not an exact science. But nowhere could I find even a rough guide.  Anyone can offer any useful info?

Below extracts from this link. Aussie I know but may have some relevance.

https://www.valleybees.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Australian-medicinal-Leptospermum-Honeys.pdf

We often get asked what honey will go to in 12 months. This is important as if the DHA isn’t high enough it may be better off selling the honey when collected rather than storing it. This is only a very rough conversion, storage temperature, starting composition and possibly species may affect what the honey will go to. Generally it will level off at a ratio of DHA: MGO of 2.

Young Leptospermum honeys have a large amount of DHA and little MGO. Over about 12 months the honey matures with the conversion of DHA to MGO. Generally, about 40% of the DHA is lost and of that lost 40% becomes MGO. There are multiple chemical reactions occurring in the honey which is why not all the DHA goes to MGO .

Predicting MGO Often asked what will my honey go to after x time This is very ROUGH There are many factors that can affect this: • Storage temperature • Starting composition • Generally won’t go pass a DHA:MGO of 2 MGO in Honey NZ Manuka honey is generally thought of as a dark thick honey. These are some samples that have been received so far. As you can see they have a range of colours. We can see that colour is not a good indication of activity. Australian Leptospermum honeys break the Manuka mould of a dark thick honey Leptospermum in Australia DHA x 0.16 + MGO = MGO when mature

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Thanks Ali, a very useful link.

trust the Aussies to have great, government funded research to get their beekeepers up and running!

Capilano Honey & Univ. Sunshine Coast attribution on some of pdf file pages I note. 

Something I don't profess to know  lot about but I do seriously wonder if any eventuating 'research levy' monies gathered in NZ would benefit from University linked research/studies partly in hope of some retention of NZ ownership (beekeeper contributor) of any gains achieved. That's another debate I realise.

It would appear Capilano has contributed (financially) to the info contained in the link.

Edited by Ali
for yesbut
  • Agree 1

The conversion figures I was given were:

MG to NPA = (0,3481 x (A1 ^ 0,6028))

or

NPA to MG = (A.^(1/0.6028))/(0.3481^(1/0.6028))

other conversions are:

DHA 1230-500 = 730/300 = 2.4+NPA9.9 = 12.3

and

MGO 83 = UMF 5+

MGO 261 = UMF10+

MGO 600 = UMF 15+

MGO 829 = UMF 20+

• Good Info 2

42 minutes ago, Martin Garside said:

The conversion figures I was given were:

MG to NPA = (0,3481 x (A1 ^ 0,6028))

or

NPA to MG = (A.^(1/0.6028))/(0.3481^(1/0.6028))

other conversions are:

DHA 1230-500 = 730/300 = 2.4+NPA9.9 = 12.3

and

MGO 83 = UMF 5+

MGO 261 = UMF10+

MGO 600 = UMF 15+

MGO 829 = UMF 20+

Clear as mud :) 

Unfortunately the maths of forecasting DHA conversion is quite complex, so it's difficult to make an all-encompassing rule of thumb for it.

The easiest scenario to predict is where you have test results for freshly extracted honey. As a coarse approximation, you can expect about a quarter as much MG as the DHA you started with. So, if you're lucky enough to have a manuka honey with 6000 mg/kg at extraction, it might end up with 1,500 mg/kg of MG, give or take, a few years down the track. 

As Ali said this depends on many other factors though, temperature, moisture, chemical composition, so on and so forth.

• Good Info 1

The research was funded through industry/university partnership no government money directly involved in that work. In Australia, there is a small pool of research money from a honey levy that the government matches which isn't that much I think about $1million all up last year that is spread across bee health, beekeeper training, pollination etc.

Though Jacob is right there are a lot of factors involved in Forecasting MGO from DHA the (DHA x 0.16 + [Current MGO]) = [Predicted MGO] does work pretty well at least enough to inform beekeepers whether its worth to sell their honey or sit on it for 12 months. Dr Megan Grainger at the University of Waikato did a whole bunch of work on it if you want to look up her papers.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

Welcome to the forum Madsci ! Do you have sticky out hair ?

• Haha 5

Well done EVERGREEN LIFE LTD, you just screwed NZ's international reputation. ?

Just hope there are not too many others doing the same thing, and if there are, they get nailed to the wall. ?

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Just hope there are not too many others doing the same thing, and if there are, they get nailed to the wall. ?

I think there is ,/was probably a few doing it .

They just got caught .

I think it will stop now , to risky for the value of the reward .

Shotguns at high noon ....... the movie rolls on ......  only the shotgun is replaced by a a judge in a white wig with a golden smoker as a gavel that he taps down on the bench ...... "Guilty as charged."

Pan out to the perpetrators ...... stripped naked  and tied to stakes in the middle of a bee yard  in the hot sun  ......and smeared with  tanning lotion ..... and honey.  Left to figure whether the tanning lotion is faux ....

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

Perpetrator already sodded off back overseas, hopefully without the right to an NZ passport. Could well be worth going to the Albany Courthouse mid February, hope the case is very fully reported.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

And the main protagonists are @jamesc and Merk. 

Is merk still alive .....?

DHA is available by the drum full.

Every time I see a 40+ manuka I think; man that's expensive tanning lotion.

• Haha 4

Hyung Soo Lee

I find it really difficult not allowing a very racist thought to surface.

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, john berry said:

DHA is available by the drum full.

Every time I see a 40+ manuka I think; man that's expensive tanning lotion.

Yep same, every time Im down at the mount beach Im thinking boy theres a lot of DHA here.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Alastair said:

i doubt there were many blenders and packers not doing it. I hope they all get busted, charged, and convicted.

Interesting to read that the owners have left the country.

link to the companies office and director/shareholder details for any who are interested: https://app.companiesoffice.govt.nz/companies/app/ui/pages/companies/613930

Edited by tommy dave

3 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

i doubt there were many blenders and packers not doing it. I hope they all get busted, charged, and convicted.

Ethically it's probably no different to blending a few boxes of kanuka and kamahi into a frame of manuka....

13 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Ethically it's probably no different to blending a few boxes of kanuka and kamahi into a frame of manuka....

legally there's a big difference though eh. Given that producers could have been doing the mixing prior to selling their unusual looking 15+ to packers, and many packers were likely turning a blind eye to it, i wonder if there is any nz honey packer who can guarantee that they never packed honey that was fortified with chemical additives.

I suggest that this type of chemical adulteration is even worse than corn- or sugar-syrup adulteration or feeding bees sugar syrup to make a false product.

hope all perpetrators (not just these ones) get caught and dealt to as heavily as the law can, and that includes any and all employees who knew what was going on

Edited by tommy dave
  • Agree 3

50 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

legally there's a big difference though eh. Given that producers could have been doing the mixing prior to selling their unusual looking 15+ to packers, and many packers were likely turning a blind eye to it, i wonder if there is any nz honey packer who can guarantee that they never packed honey that was fortified with chemical additives.

I suggest that this type of chemical adulteration is even worse than corn- or sugar-syrup adulteration or feeding bees sugar syrup to make a false product.

hope all perpetrators (not just these ones) get caught and dealt to as heavily as the law can, and that includes any and all employees who knew what was going on

It’s no different than adding melamine to baby formula . 

Its all fraud and is always heavily damaging to an industry as a whole 

Edited by M4tt
  • Agree 2

Future chinese generations may be just as embarrassed about their ancestors behaviour as us europeans are about the  greedy ruthless english chancers who we are descended from .

• Like 1