Diane

Bees on pallets

Hi, quick question, four hives on a pallet, does the one facing south do worse than the others that get more morning sun and shelter from wind ? I have three per pallet at present, have not been using pallets for long.

jeepers, how many hives do you have? i've not run hives on pallets, but i've noticed close to nil variation between hives based on orientation than i had expected based on various theories i'd heard or read.

Bees love pallets. No I'll rephrase that. Beekeepers love pallets. Open all four colonies at the same time and you get the opportunity to evalauate and compare, and then even up.

It's no good having one strong hive and three mediocre. I prefer to have four average that will grow to boomers. I like to face  them East west, but at the end of the day I'm not sure it matters. They still get out and fly.   The main thing is having the yard in a nice and warm pozzie.

• Thanks 1

one guy i know has hives east west on pallets like most of us, tried some where he turned two around so they were facing the back of the other two with only a 25ml landing board gap, so now all four can be facing the same way, saw no difference in the hives. It was only his human thinking that he turned them back like the others. Bees just want a warm dry spot with lots of food.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the east west is the best...or the norm on pallets. ? 

its not the best it is just the most compact for loading and working the hives, as six to a pallet means you have to work the middle two hives from end on, you can have a smaller pallet and have only two hives on as some do.