cBank

NZBF Bees not using escape

One hive has an escape with two boxes above it and another has just one above it. They have been on for 24 hours and the bee numbers seem the same as when the escape went on. They are up the right way and seem to work ok on testing.

What am I doing wrong? 

Did you give them another box below so they can all fit ?

15 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Did you give them another box below so they can all fit ?

Yes, they have space. It has been very wet and windy over the last day. I didn’t think that would change anything, but maybe it does?

1 minute ago, cBank said:

Yes, they have space. It has been very wet and windy over the last day. I didn’t think that would change anything, but maybe it does?

Not long enough then. Try 48 hours 

It usually takes mine three days to clear out.

Thanks - I’ll give them more time. Book learning losing to practical experience yet again.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Is there any brood in the supers.  That will stop the bees leaving.

No, I’ve put my brood contaminated ones down low. I have a fair few thanks to my merging technique. 

My guess is there is still brood and maybe a queen in that honey box... have you checked it for brood and or queen?

Some times i find a stray drone blocking the exit holes.

Good stong hives can take sometime to clear. you may need a bee brush on hand to remove remaining bees from frames.

• Good Info 1

I've tried both.  Burn the escape boards and get a leaf blower.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

were the boxes above a queen excluder prior to the escape board being put in?

are there bees coming and going in good weather and on a flow?

1 hour ago, tommy dave said:

were the boxes above a queen excluder prior to the escape board being put in?

are there bees coming and going in good weather and on a flow?

Yes, they were above an excluder and still are (one box remains above excluder, then there is the escape then the capped honey). The bees are coming and going but the good weather has probably only been an hour or two long. Bees are flying in the rain, but it’s been very windy too.

1 hour ago, cBank said:

Yes, they were above an excluder and still are (one box remains above excluder, then there is the escape then the capped honey). The bees are coming and going but the good weather has probably only been an hour or two long. Bees are flying in the rain, but it’s been very windy too.

wonder if somehow the excluder and escape are interacting somehow to slow the bees moving down. Try next time not having them next to each other perhaps, a queen is unlikely to go up via an escape..

obvious question seems too obvious to ask, but there isn't an entrance above the excluder or a top entrance as part of the excluder is there?

anyway, 24hrs does seem long not to clear if they're on a flow and/or the box is well capped with space below. What sort of escape is it?

6 hours ago, tommy dave said:

wonder if somehow the excluder and escape are interacting somehow to slow the bees moving down. Try next time not having them next to each other perhaps, a queen is unlikely to go up via an escape..

obvious question seems too obvious to ask, but there isn't an entrance above the excluder or a top entrance as part of the excluder is there?

anyway, 24hrs does seem long not to clear if they're on a flow and/or the box is well capped with space below. What sort of escape is it?

The type may be the issue. It’s this one. 2 on each board.

The weather is looking to be a lot better today, so they may move out. 

Clearing boxes and minimising robbing at extraction time were my two biggest issues last year and I’d like do better this year!

1 hour ago, cBank said:

The type may be the issue. It’s this one. 2 on each board.

The weather is looking to be a lot better today, so they may move out. 

Clearing boxes and minimising robbing at extraction time were my two biggest issues last year and I’d like do better this year!

Those porter escape are not overly good.  4 per board are required for efficient clearing.  I have got rid of all my Porter escapes.

I like these

https://www.ecrotek.co.nz/product/8-way-round-escape-bare

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2018 at 7:50 AM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Those porter escape are not overly good.  4 per board are required for efficient clearing.  I have got rid of all my Porter escapes.

I like these

How do you secure them to the board? 

On 7/12/2018 at 7:50 AM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I like these

porters are the only true one way escape due to the metal leaves which you have to set correctly.

i have had no trouble using them. two on the board, one at each end. also use the big round disc ones fine.

i think there is two theories on escape boards.

one is that the board cuts off the queen smell and puts them into a panic to go down to where the queen smell is.

the other is to have queen smell come up through the escape so they find there way down.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

How do you secure them to the board? 

Small 6g x10 mm long screws or pop rivets.