Bighands

D.O.C. CHARGES

I received a document from DOC today sent out to concessionaire even though I no longer have a concession on DOC land.I see the charge for Manuka site is $75.00/hive.I hope it is valuable manuka to be paying that price plus inspection costs.Yes DOC inspect nthe sites and charge you plus a percentage of your net profit.Our land, need a good site to pay the charges.

• Sad 4

Do you think this is purely income raising or there is a hidden agenda here: myrtle rust, native nectar feeding birds, native bees etc?

Links to the DOC website consession rules are in the Myrtle Rust topic (October).

https://www.nzbees.net/forums/topic/12658-myrtle-rust-spreads-by-bees/?do=findComment&comment=205386

Just now, Borage said:

Do you think this is purely income raising or there is a hidden agenda here: myrtle rust, native nectar feeding birds, native bees etc?

Links to the DOC website consession rules are in the Myrtle Rust topic (October).

https://www.nzbees.net/forums/topic/12658-myrtle-rust-spreads-by-bees/?do=findComment&comment=205386

100% revenue gathering.  They will pretend other things but always follow the money.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Disagree 3

If it was Myrtle Rust then ban all birds

And the wind. I'd vote for that.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 4

It's not about revenue gathering. DoC's priority is conservation. 

4 minutes ago, Borage said:

is a hidden agenda here:

Nothing hidden about's Doc's view of beekeeping :   https://www.doc.govt.nz/our-work/honeybees-on-conservation-land/

And here are the concerns :  https://www.doc.govt.nz/globalassets/documents/science-and-technical/honeybees-on-public-conservation-lands.pdf

And Roy, "our land' means just that, not "your land" !  If a beek derives income from "our" land then "we" are entitled to some recompense. 

• Agree 2
  • Good Info 3

If Doc are so concerned about the impact of honey bees on their land then why don’t they limit it rather than open it up so much ?

beekeepers paying a levy is not going to help the other live critters that share the space with bees only limiting the number of bees will help with that.

its like buying and selling of carbon credits so you can send more pollutants into the air. 

• Agree 4

At $75 plus per hive maybe they hope a lot of beeks will be discouraged & not bother ?  I imagine there's political pressure in the case of high value manuka and low income regions.

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 2

70klm gusts today and I saw lots of native bees on my flowering manuka.

My bees were home in their hive .

The anemometer on our weather station has stopped going round . 

I think 5 yrs of coping with our wind has worn it out .

Hopefully just a bearing .

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

If Doc are so concerned about the impact of honey bees on their land then why don’t they limit it rather than open it up so much ?

beekeepers paying a levy is not going to help the other live critters that share the space with bees only limiting the number of bees will help with that.

its like buying and selling of carbon credits so you can send more pollutants into the air. 

It does seem strange to open it up if you want less of it. However some of the things DOC fund are really incredible. I’ve just had a family member return from little Barrier and it is completely amazing, and the cost of that project must be huge. And that’s just one project.

An organisation as large as DOC, covering an area as huge as they cover is always going to be stretched and have a mass of competing interests within the organisation. I just hope the negatives ones don’t get an upper hand and undermine the good work they do. Some of the stories in this forum have been awful, but multiple people have had similarly bad experiences. I hadn’t seen this side of DOC before and it’s really disappointing.

Edited by cBank
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

100% revenue gathering.  They will pretend other things but always follow the money.

I've just remembered being told that while Doc get to keep hut fees, all the income from concessions goes straight back to consolidated fund, just like traffic fines..

6 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I've just remembered being told that while Doc get to keep hut fees, all the income from concessions goes straight back to consolidated fund, just like traffic fines..

I've just found out this no longer applies. They keep that income. 

• Good Info 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

I've just remembered being told that while Doc get to keep hut fees, 

Hut fees on some tracks are totally unaffordable for a lot of people it makes me so mad that kiwi families are forced out of some of the more accessible areas because they can’t afford to pay the fees.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Hut fees on some tracks are totally unaffordable for a lot of people it makes me so mad that kiwi families are forced out of some of the more accessible areas because they can’t afford to pay the fees.

And much of the track cleaning and rubbish collecting is done by volunteers. 

Im massively for taxing the hell out of tourism via a big fee at the border. It’ll probably reduce tourist numbers, but those that come pay more. There is a sweet spot in there somewhere and I dont see a downside for New Zealand and New Zealanders.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cBank said:

Im massively for taxing the hell out of tourism via a big fee at the border. It’ll probably reduce tourist numbers, but those that come pay more. 

Same, I think we have too many tourists coming in already and yet they want to double the number.

if you go to any of the iconic tourist spots it’s absolutely heaving and that must take a lot away from the visitor experience .

photos of a long lines of people on the Tongariro crossing, a line of people waiting for a photo opportunity at particular spots around the country.

Then there’s the backpackers sleeping in cars with no toilets which have led to kiwi motorhomers being banned from heaps of areas .

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Actually (blowing trumpet here) it was yours truly who as an FMC Executive got free kids access to Great Walk Huts a few years ago...

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Actually (blowing trumpet here) it was yours truly who as an FMC Executive got free kids access to Great Walk Huts a few years ago...

That's awesome @yesbut that's definitely worth blowing your trumpet over .

When our kids were young we wanted to do the Abel Tasman but it was going to cost us as much as a motel per night and there's no way we could have afforded it

11 hours ago, yesbut said:

were you on with Richie? ex vic tc here

14 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

were you on with Richie? ex vic tc here

2005 - 2011

3 minutes ago, yesbut said:

2005 - 2011

i think that means you overlapped with Hannah, Richie, and Quentin at various times then. Thanks for putting the time in.

42 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

i think that means you overlapped with Hannah, Richie, and Quentin at various times then. Thanks for putting the time in.

Yes. Despite it filling my head with stuff I didn't know existed it was very worthwhile and often quite fun.........

Official "opening" of St James Conservation Area.......a Hanmer tourist operator showing off...the Hurunui mayor has just crawled out, the Doc manager in the green hat on the left... 

Oops.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I would have thoight 75 bucks a hive for manuka not a bad deal.... I spent a lot of time negotiatong with a cocky who wanted over a hundred.... multipy that by 200 and no site track record....

I stuck with chasing the Dew.

6 hours ago, jamesc said:

I stuck with chasing the Dew.

Which is now stacked up in your shed!

How do DOC know what site produces what type of honey and if it doesn’t produce mono do you get a refund.

Do they charge for Bush honey sites?

With the current honey price I do not know how anybody can charge for sites that do not have at least 50 hectares of just manuka .

How long will it take for the new financial reality of honey prices to work through the costings  and in investment the whole industry I wonder .

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 7:06 AM, kaihoka said:

With the current honey price I do not know how anybody can charge for sites that do not have at least 50 hectares of just manuka .

How long will it take for the new financial reality of honey prices to work through the costings  and in investment the whole industry I wonder .

I will say that the "good" sites of DOC are occupied for a while. Therefore not too many bkpers jumping for the rest of it for $75 a hive.

I remember that 10+ years ago it was $1300 a site for a 5 years contract. Multi-flora was $3

• Like 1