Adam Boot

Honey Price Collapse

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

So ..... how many staples can I get for a drum of honey dew ...?

James the Staples are cheap for a couple of reasons and one of those reasons is so that you can have food on the table and treated Bees also.
The Staples also keep food on my table and maybe an invite to the Winstones Xmas Pissup

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, yesbut said:

What do you think is the  effect of this marketing on the overall value of NZ honey ?

Without any authority whatsoever , I’ll offer my guess ....

No effect whatsoever . 

Adam is targeting niche . Most honey sold doesn’t go into the same market .

What he is doing is taking the bull by the horns , finding a way to make his product a little different and more appealing to the consumer that is concerned about the issues he is covering his product for , all the time working within the boundaries of the law 

• Like 1

@Adam Boot You mention you were looking for good quality Manuka to keep up with demand? I have 9 tonne UMF 15+, passes all MPI standards, low C4. Let me know if you are interested. Just organising another round of tests to get up to date NPA etc.

Well anyway.... here we are at  the srcret spot to add boxes....

and did a deal on the accomadation woth a contra of honey for liquid medicine amd s bed

good trade

i was shocked at what people pay for hpney!

E5D7A23A-2DE6-4AEC-9C56-A7962D9E43B4.jpeg

• Like 2

@jamesc are the boxes all full 

Nah, James hit the speights and decided to unload the truck.

Edited by Alastair
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, kaihoka said:

@jamesc are the boxes all full 

Some are.... the others might when we get the 30c Niwa talked about a month ago.

18 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Some are.... the others might when we get the 30c Niwa talked about a month ago.

And we will get constant westerly wind .

It comes hot shortly hunny

4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@jamesc your weather looks like ours. We are so sick of the rain 

And wind 

Do you get wind 

36 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

And wind 

Do you get wind 

Not so much wind 

45 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Not so much wind 

We didnt untill two days ago .

But looks like lots to come .

Should be good for you 

Hot , dry and sunny 

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

Hot , dry and sunny 

I wouldn’t know what that looks or feels like it’s been so long 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Thats a rather optimistic interpretation isnt it??

Hmmm ..... someones gonna get somthing ..... rain on the coast and kickstart the East coast ?

Contrary to common opinion honey does not keep forever, or at least not to a standard that is acceptable to a lot of importing countries. One thing you can do to decrease the amount of spare honey round is to save boxes of honey to feed back to your hives in the spring instead of sugar. You do need to know that it's free of AFB but beekeepers have been feeding honey back to hives a lot longer than they have been feeding sugar and I personally find that honey is better a lot of the time. Not much sign of any surplus around here with ongoing crappy weather. Frankly I don't think the market is quite as bad as people are saying and most honey last year was sold for a lot more than four dollars. As for manuka, the demand seems to be easing which is only to be expected and happens with every health fad.
I'm not a fan of quotas. If you gave everybody that has hives now a quota we would still have way too many hives.
I flew over a tiny patch of manuka near the start of Mahia Peninsula today and there were four large apiarys targeting what looked like about 20 acres to me. I have just had a nice week doing some conservation work on an island with no bees at all (and nothing for them) and it made a nice change.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, john berry said:

Contrary to common opinion honey does not keep forever, or at least not to a standard that is acceptable to a lot of importing countries. One thing you can do to decrease the amount of spare honey round is to save boxes of honey to feed back to your hives in the spring instead of sugar. You do need to know that it's free of AFB but beekeepers have been feeding honey back to hives a lot longer than they have been feeding sugar and I personally find that honey is better a lot of the time. Not much sign of any surplus around here with ongoing crappy weather. Frankly I don't think the market is quite as bad as people are saying and most honey last year was sold for a lot more than four dollars. As for manuka, the demand seems to be easing which is only to be expected and happens with every health fad.
I'm not a fan of quotas. If you gave everybody that has hives now a quota we would still have way too many hives.
I flew over a tiny patch of manuka near the start of Mahia Peninsula today and there were four large apiarys targeting what looked like about 20 acres to me. I have just had a nice week doing some conservation work on an island with no bees at all (and nothing for them) and it made a nice change.

So whats the shelf life of honey ?

I commented to Main Man today as we were throwing boxes on that potentially we could have 160 tonnes of honey sitting in the shed by february.  Why are we producing more when we  can't find a home for what we already have ?    Mainly because the Bees really don't give a toss and just do what they do. 

11 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Why are we producing more when we  can't find a home for what we already have ?   

A large truckie once asked me a  similar sort of question after he'd just backed into a car. I answered truthfully and had to run...

This what happens when I didn't take the feeder rim of the weak one & didn't think it was worth putting another super on it. ?

And it's manuka. o.O

burr.jpg

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Alastair said:

This what happens when I didn't take the feeder rim of the weak one & didn't think it was worth putting another super on it. ?

burr.jpg

yep .... been there , done that, quite a few times !

• Haha 1

The land owner likes comb honey so she got a plateful.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, yesbut said:

A large truckie once asked me a  similar sort of question after he'd just backed into a car. I answered truthfully and had to run...

So what  is the answer Mr yesbut ?

As an aside we had a late breakfast at a west coast road house this morning and jaw dropped as a bunch of  throbbing BMW's cruised past ......  one day i need to live the dream !

we spent  quite a few wet days re designing our feeders so that the bees did'nt have access to building burr comb in strange places. It worked out alright because this year it gave us a place to pour in raw sugar to keep the critters alive.