Adam Boot

Honey Price Collapse

I'm inclined to agree with Adam on this one. There is a  market for selling your own honey from the gate or things like the farmers market and specialty stores but it is a limited and finite market which is already pretty full. More players will just reduce everybody's market share and the price.. I sell honey at a farmers market which I really enjoy doing but by the time you take your costs out I would be better off selling in bulk especially if you think your time is with something. Don't get me wrong,it's the only type of marketing I am actually interested in but it's not a way to get rid of a large honey crop.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

Great - Go for it. Don't forget the millions of $$ for your lab, bulk tanks, creaming, pumping, label, laser, metal detecting out weighing, sealing packing equipment. Don't forget your highly skilled technical production team. Don't forget your Halal, Kosher certification. Don't forget your quality certification, SQF standard if possible to supply the big guys. Good luck! Oh yes don't forget your multi million dollar marketing campaign, Your sales team and the work to create a brand that delivers on demand, value and growth? 

If you think a brand is a label on a jar you need to start again? 

Beekeeping isnt my primary buisness, if.you want to spend millions on it you can. Go nuts. We all respect your ability to waste money.

11 minutes ago, Kiwifruiter said:

Beekeeping isnt my primary buisness, if.you want to spend millions on it you can. Go nuts. We all respect your ability to waste money.

This is not completely directed at you @Kiwifruiter but to everyone who is jumping on the "bag"' honey exporter/marketer bandwagon.

Before NZ tripled the volume of hives, we always needed to export one third of our production to keep prices stable.

We now have three times the honey, and NZ honey consumption per capita is actually falling, primarily because of price and anti sugar brigade.

So we need companies to get on planes, and invest many many dollars at all levels of supply chain to solve our over supply problem.

Yes some rules have changed (right or wrong) but even before manuka rules changed a lot of honey was being produced that had no or limited market access because of flavour/floral type. Whose fault is that. Beekeeper or honey exporter.

Anyone can put honey in a pot and sell it in NZ at some level, but unless your product is actually expanding the NZ market, all you are doing is shuffling the deck chairs, so you win, but someone else loses. Solves nothing even in short term.

Getting new products or developing new markets overseas can take years, and a really big problem for exporters is having reliable suppliers. 

So start developing really strong repor with honey exporters/marketers, and work together with your out of spec honey to brainstorm new options.  

Bagging them as parasites or not working hard enough to sell your honey mountain at higher than world market prices, is really counterproductive.

A lot of business big and small sell honey in amazing places around NZ and across the world, but it is never cheap, never easy, and never guaranteed, and definately never never stress free.

Swap hats and make a honey exporter your best friend, and over a drink understand their position on world markets and options. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Bushy said:

Swap hats and make a honey exporter your best friend, and over a drink understand their position on world markets and options. 

Im not sure if Id buy into that idea as I have a feeling Id become the shiny's peasant for life.
I like the way this guy in the link operated

https://media.newzealand.com/en/story-ideas/new-zealand-entrepreneur-comvitas-claude-stratfor/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Im not sure if Id buy into that idea as I have a feeling Id become the shiny's peasant for life.
I like the way this guy in the link operated

https://media.newzealand.com/en/story-ideas/new-zealand-entrepreneur-comvitas-claude-stratfor/

Had the privilege of meeting Mr Stratford a few times in his early days and yes he was an amazing man, and had all the values that made our industry great. Sadly the modern corporatised Comvita is a shadow of what he saw as his vision.

You will never be "the shinys peasant" unless you want to as you can always say NO, and if you really are working in partnership, saying NO soon develops into another option. Been there, done that.

Traveling down the coast today .

Saw lots of places advertising honey on the side of the rd .

A lot more than I ever see around nelson .

40 minutes ago, Bushy said:

Sadly the modern corporatised Comvita is a shadow of what he saw as his vision.

Interesting observation because thats exactly what I thought as I was looking for info on how Comvita started out.
It was like Chalk and Cheese

21 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Traveling down the coast today .

Saw lots of places advertising honey on the side of the rd .

A lot more than I ever see around nelson .

what where there price's like ?

Claude , Caucasian bees, chalk brood.

• Haha 1

Back in my pigeon racing days it was common knowledge that in a breeding line  longevity was strongly correlated with racing success at staying distances (500-1000km)

Claude lived to 102yrs old

Interestingly it is my stated goal to live to 112 

25 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Back in my pigeon racing days it was common knowledge that in a breeding line  longevity was strongly correlated with racing success at staying distances (500-1000km)

Had a friends mother pop her clogs last June at a month over 111, and going by her, you don't qualify as she was an absolutely charming lady, but more than slightly ditsy, even when we just started  college we could con her into all sorts of things, so not looking good @Philbee, as too onto it, as she didn't sweat anything - she was blissfully unaware.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Had a friends mother pop her clogs last June at a month over 111, and going by her, you don't qualify as she was an absolutely charming lady, but more than slightly ditsy, even when we just started  college we could con her into all sorts of things, so not looking good @Philbee, as too onto it, as she didn't sweat anything - she was blissfully unaware.

She may have been onto you kids the whole time and laughing her clogs off

57 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I knew Cluade and in the rest home before he past, he was the only one not to be taking any meds, he took pollen every day and had done for years that was his meds.

In the early 80s he came up with an idea to "bottle water" and all the others at comvita thought he was mad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, john berry said:

Claude , Caucasian bees, chalk brood.

Yes talking to Rod who use to run Comvita's bees at Claudes funeral, he had to warn MAF on Claude sometimes to just check his bags just in case. 

2 hours ago, Sailabee said:

Sounds like my mum , who is a guilt and remorse free zone who dosen't believe in savings or insurance and lives in the now .

She is 86 and probably will live at least another 10 yrs 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, kevin moore said:

Never stopped to check .

I shall have a look on the way back .

4 hours ago, kevin moore said:

When i Was in queenstown today i Went into a flash honey shop selling mostly manuka and some blends.

They were selling kids honey which i Think was clover.

They were selling organic honey and the women explained that organic honey was honey that was processed in a factory that had a 5 kilometer organic buffer zone around it .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, john berry said:

Claude , Caucasian bees, 

Didn't know you knew about this John although not surprised. Not sure the exact year but it was sometime early 70's we got a flyer from him advertising them.

7 hours ago, kaihoka said:

When i Was in queenstown today i Went into a flash honey shop selling mostly manuka and some blends.

They were selling kids honey which i Think was clover.

They were selling organic honey and the women explained that organic honey was honey that was processed in a factory that had a 5 kilometer organic buffer zone around it .

I've been asked if i want to put our Lavender honey in there,- haven't yet

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Sounds like my mum , who is a guilt and remorse free zone who dosen't believe in savings or insurance and lives in the now .

She is 86 and probably will live at least another 10 yrs 

I never ever had insurance but now I have to have liability for when working on blocks with pines and had to with my new rough worker driving the 60k work ute around, can't afford to replace it. 

I always thought insurance was for scared people and I never have problems so didn't require it but as iv had to slowly rely on others I  have had to get it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevin moore said:

I've been asked if i want to put our Lavender honey in there,- haven't yet

They have some flavoured honey in there too.

Tasted weird 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

I never ever had insurance but now I have to have liability for when working on blocks with pines and had to with my new rough worker driving the 60k work ute around, can't afford to replace it. 

I always thought insurance was for scared people and I never have problems so didn't require it but as iv had to slowly rely on others I  have had to get it 

A mate said to me years ago ..... rather than pay insurance to the company, why not put that premium into your own little fund. Judging by our claims over the last twenty years we'd have over a million bucks in my little fund now.   Not enough to cover a forest fire fight, but a sobering  thought all the same !

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, jamesc said:

A mate said to me years ago ..... rather than pay insurance to the company, why not put that premium into your own little fund. Judging by our claims over the last twenty years we'd have over a million bucks in my little fund now.   Not enough to cover a forest fire fight, but a sobering  thought all the same !

A very good friend of mines father did that with a few of his business mates, they all put their insurance money into a fund, they had to wait 10yrs and then hey had enough money in there to cover their factories and now they have bought a few more buildings with that fund and still havn't had a big insurance claim against their own insurance fund yet.

• Like 4
  • Good Info 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2018 at 10:45 PM, Philbee said:

We should be growing this stuff

After reading your message I found where to get some seeds and planted quite a lot around my garden and the bees love it!  Purple Tansy

Edited by Paul Beer
  • Like 2

On 23/02/2019 at 3:19 PM, Adam Boot said:

Allways

Send to adam.boot@midlands.co.nz 

Have just emailed you. Cheers