Adam Boot

Honey Price Collapse

2 minutes ago, Rob's BP said:

@Adam Boot Adam, I find it ironic and inconsistent branding when I see advertisements for PURITI that are all pure clean white and expensive gold, and then some ads have the crappiest, oldest, decrepit beehives (ok maybe a little OTT, but you get the point). Sure does seem inconsistent and incongruous. Might be a point of good feedback for ya.

Sure you'll have a view and response supporting your position, but perhaps something for consideration. 

As @Philbee was indicating (quote below), the public/consumers etc. expect PURITI should be produced in the best way in all respects.

'Sure you'll have a view and response supporting your position, but perhaps something for consideration' - Not really. The result is what it is!

• Haha 1

Im of the view that all NZ Beeks could add value to their Honey whatever the flavor by embracing real provable organic principles and there are a few of these principles.

All thats required is for these principles to be listed and controlled.

For example the criteria could be set to cover Forage range, Hive Ware which would cover Timber, paint, wax and frames, treatments.

Within all those criteria exists the potential to make significant valuable  legitimate claims.

As for Puriti which has been positioned at the top of the range, it possibly should by default contain all of the bells and whistles found in the cheaper models, plus its value added upgrades.

Like buying a car.

This is just a constructive suggestion to Adam and also a general idea for adding value across the board.

One of my large clients is already pressuring his Manuka buyers to consider his new treatment regime as having added value.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Im of the view that all NZ Beeks could add value to their Honey whatever the flavor by embracing real provable organic principles and there are a few of these principles.

For example the criteria could be set to cover Forage range, Hive Ware which would cover Timber, paint, wax and frames, treatments.

Within all those criteria exists the potential to make significant valuable  legitimate claims.

As for Puriti which has been positioned at the top of the range, it possibly should by default contain all of the bells and whistles found in the cheaper models, plus its value added upgrades.

Like buying a car.

This is just a constructive suggestion to Adam and also a general idea for adding value across the board.

One of my large clients is already pressuring his Manuka buyers to consider his new treatment regime as having added value.

There is no doubt that with Mr Philbee's staples we have the ability to change the honey market place radically ..... and as an industry we need to capitalise on that before the rest of the world does.

As a nation of Bee keepers we need to unite and  present to the world , for whether we like it or not we are a nation that relies on exporting,  a united front that the honey out of New Zealand  is the best that money can buy, which is why we are charging a premium on it.

We have no antibiotics in our honey.

Most of our honey comes from tree crops from "wild" places where chemical use is very limited ...

And now, we have the ability to say no synthetic 's to control Varroa.

We need to action the cunning plan .

I'd be prepared to pay a levy to employ someone to promote that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, jamesc said:

There is no doubt that with Mr Philbee's staples we have the ability to change the honey market place radically ..... and as an industry we need to capitalise on that before the rest of the world does.

As a nation of Bee keepers we need to unite and  present to the world , for whether we like it or not we are a nation that relies on exporting,  a united front that the honey out of New Zealand  is the best that money can buy, which is why we are charging a premium on it.

We have no antibiotics in our honey.

Most of our honey comes from tree crops from "wild" places where chemical use is very limited ...

And now, we have the ability to say no synthetic 's to control Varroa.

We need to action the cunning plan .

I'd be prepared to pay a levy to employ someone to promote that.

Well said James.

The easiest way to promote it would be to put it on the label 
In many cases the relevant wording would see the Pottle quickly placed in the shopping trolley

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Well said James.

The easiest way to promote it would be to put it on the label 
In many cases the relevant wording would see the Pottle quickly placed in the shopping trolley

Uh Huh  .... I have a cunning plan.  I think it needs more than that ..... just like if you want a real 4x4 truck you buy a landcruiser. The name becomes synonomous with quality !

Edited by jamesc

28 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Uh Huh  .... I have a cunning plan.  I think it needs more than that ..... just like if you want a real 4x4 truck you buy a landcruiser. The name becomes synonomous with quality !

Well Puriti and Toyota are taken and I dont fancy Nissan

5 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Well Puriti and Toyota are taken and I dont fancy Nissan

True.

And if you want the real deal in honey you buy it from NZ

• Agree 1

Did everyone see what was printed on the back of Joe Parker's trou ?

36 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Did everyone see what was printed on the back of Joe Parker's trou ?

No.  I have better things to do in life than look at Joe Parkers butt.  

I know cat's have a fascination with that part of their own body, but I did not realize that extended to human butts.

• Haha 4

On 16/12/2018 at 11:18 AM, jamesc said:

Edited by BJC
pictures failed

On 16/12/2018 at 11:18 AM, jamesc said:

Sweet ..... without pruning they tend to run riot. 

Just found these old vines clearing the back of the section they are now a top the very large silver poplars that are next on the list.

IMG_2090.jpeg

IMG_2091.jpeg

IMG_2092.jpeg

IMG_2093.jpeg

17 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

No.  I have better things to do in life than look at Joe Parkers butt.  

I know cat's have a fascination with that part of their own body, but I did not realize that extended to human butts.

Ok, perhaps I'm the only one in the universe who didn't know Manuka Doctor NZ sponsors Parker..

2 hours ago, yesbut said:

Ok, perhaps I'm the only one in the universe who didn't know Manuka Doctor NZ sponsors Parker..

Who is Manuka Doctor NZ.??

https://www.manukadoctor.co.nz/about-us these guys I guess @Trevor Gillbanks!

Makes skin smoother than a babes.............?

This from their page is interesting though:

INDEPENDENT ORIGIN CERTIFICATION - MANUKA HONEY AS AN INGREDIENT

The origin of Manuka Doctor honey has been independently and scientifically certified by Oritain. They has collected, analysed and archived samples of these batches of honey and determined the geochemical specifications, which are consistent with having a New Zealand origin.

Oritain can compare any honey sample to this specification to make a determination of the origin of the sample. Products bearing a genuine label and carton have been certified as an authentic product from Manuka Doctor as the manuka honey ingredient has been certified before using in our formulations.

What do you think of this origin certification @Adam Boot? Quite seriously interested in your opinion in regard the marketing of NZ honeys and proof of origins.

But surely unless Manuka honey is applied topically it is just the same as any other honey. Apart from the impact on the consumer wallet, of course. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Who is Manuka Doctor NZ.??

Hive doctors cuzy ..... ?

On 16/12/2018 at 10:02 AM, Adam Boot said:

So much for grape vines then. 

that was my gut reaction, based on some comment along the lines of "just get in touch if you have a surplus of RMP sorted honey that crushes the new manuka standard" - paraphrasing obviously. I'm glad you jumped on the grapes, good way to deal with whine

• Haha 2

On 15/12/2018 at 11:23 AM, Adam Boot said:

We will launch another new brand in January. This will complement the offering. 

hope it's honey-dew or bush multi-floral!

oh, and that you're short on supply ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/12/2018 at 12:39 PM, Rob's BP said:

@Philbee the crappiest, oldest, decrepit beehives (ok maybe a little OTT, but you get the point). Sure does seem inconsistent and incongruous.

produced in the best way in all respects.

untreated timber, not at risk of being tainted by paint, nor even paraffin wax ;)

I've heard that flax honey taken orally is really good for the tendons

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/12/2018 at 8:45 PM, Philbee said:

Like buying a car.

I agree completely. PURITI as a brand will continue to embrace higher standards and adapt to stay above all others. We have to remember though that the supply of honey has to be large enough for the whole range and must be consistent supply. I like the idea

On 16/12/2018 at 8:07 PM, Ali said:

https://www.manukadoctor.co.nz/about-us these guys I guess @Trevor Gillbanks!

Makes skin smoother than a babes.............?

This from their page is interesting though:

INDEPENDENT ORIGIN CERTIFICATION - MANUKA HONEY AS AN INGREDIENT

The origin of Manuka Doctor honey has been independently and scientifically certified by Oritain. They has collected, analysed and archived samples of these batches of honey and determined the geochemical specifications, which are consistent with having a New Zealand origin.

Oritain can compare any honey sample to this specification to make a determination of the origin of the sample. Products bearing a genuine label and carton have been certified as an authentic product from Manuka Doctor as the manuka honey ingredient has been certified before using in our formulations.

What do you think of this origin certification @Adam Boot? Quite seriously interested in your opinion in regard the marketing of NZ honeys and proof of origins.

I am not necessarily opposed, though depending on how it is used it can be another form of 'Smoke & Mirrors'. Honey cannot be imported into NZ. By default honey that is exported from NZ and was Harvested, tested, certified, packed and labelled in NZ can only have one origin. 

The brand in question is I believe is a UK brand producing skin care and Manuka in jars. They heavily promote low MGO Manuka Blend as a quality Manuka product. If product is packed outside of NZ then I would want to know if the Origin Cert was specific to the Manuka content or all the honey in the product. The Origin Cert is used to emphasise the NZ source and the association of quality. It is though in itself not a measure of quality or content %. 

If the origin cert is used as  'belt and braces' on top of being packed in NZ with high product and label standards then it is a legitimate promotable anti counterfeit tool. If used on its own as a cornerstone of quality then it is in my opinion just low relevance marketing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/12/2018 at 10:44 PM, tommy dave said:

hope it's honey-dew or bush multi-floral!

oh, and that you're short on supply ;)

We have launched Kamahi, Rata, Honey Dew, Organic clover and Multi floral as part of the PURITI speciality honey range. These are arriving inshore this week. 

The new brand is Manuka at this stage. But we have other new products of Clover, Honey dew and Thyme comping out in the new year, 

• Like 2

Honey price collapse....well some guys are having a great time. Went to a honey shop yesterday and their clover was $50 a kilo. A tourist walked past with a shopping basket literally loaded up with it!

• Haha 3