Adam Boot

Honey Price Collapse

5 minutes ago, flash4cash said:

@Adam Boot how would you define a brand in 1 sentence? 

My attempt:

"The implied trust and emotional connection to a product or services"

I like where you are going with this. A brand name need to be instantly recognisable and stir emotion .

for example

The Warehouse

or

Mercedes Benz

Both of those invoke different levels of trust and quality and affordability, or otherwise 

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

Interesting concept. So you have a jar full of wonderfull honey with a label on it. Great, that has just cost you money for zero return. What next?

How do you get it on to shelves? (Remember in the case of Manuka honey there are at least 200 different jars with labels on them) How do you get a retailer to put this on the shelf and pay you for the privilege? How many shelves? It needs to be many hundreds probably thousands for this to work, but how many for this jar with a label to be cost effective? Now before you get a repeat order you have to sell some. Out of all those jars with labels on, why is the consumer going to choose your jar? (if your answer is price you have failed the test) 

I agree putting a label on a jar is easy. Creating a brand is a world apart from this. 

The next stage is your budget. R&D and Marketing above the line and below the line. Do you know how much you need? More importantly do you know how to make those budget dollars work? 

'it’s not rocket science .... it just takes quite a bit of r&d budget' - now that is one of the greatest lines ever. It should be carved in to every tomb stone of every failed product with a label that believed they were a brand. 

No offense Adam .....   you very funny man. The world's population is growing by the minute and hungry mouths need food to eat. We don't need to sell our honey at a vast price .... but at an affordable price where people feel they get value for money  and we make a dollar to keep us in the lifestyle we have become accustomed to ..... but of course as we all know, with climate change we are all going to have to adjust , and possibly lean down our lifestyles.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

No offense Adam .....   you very funny man. The world's population is growing by the minute and hungry mouths need food to eat. We don't need to sell our honey at a vast price .... but at an affordable price where people feel they get value for money  and we make a dollar to keep us in the lifestyle we have become accustomed to ..... but of course as we all know, with climate change we are all going to have to adjust , and possibly lean down our lifestyles.

Its not climate change that will affect us James

We are smart enough to adapt to that but not smart enough to change

Try telling a Labrador its not allowed to retrieve anymore or a heading dog that it now must bark.

What will affect us is the battle for resources, Food being one of them, Energy, Minerals and Fresh Water being others along with Living Space.
Thrown in the mix will be Religious, Cultural, and Political doctrines.

One of the issues going forward will be, of all the wealth and prosperity  created over the last 70 years, who will hold what percentages in the future

Who will produce and who will consume, who will work and who will play, who will live and who will die.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

Try telling a Labrador its not allowed to retrieve anymore or a heading dog that it now must bark.

What will affect us is the battle for resources, Food being one of them, Energy, Minerals and Fresh Water being others along with Living Space.

One of the issues going forward will be, of all the wealth and prosperity  created over the last 70 years, who will hold what percentages in the future

Who will produce and who will consume, who will work and who will play, who will live and who will die.

I am no sooth sayer, but I beg to differ. Climate change will affect us. It will affect who can and can't produce food. It will affect who has clean water, who has dirty water, and who will have no water.

I read that the Baltic is a microcosm of a sped up change, with smaller fish, deformed fish and less species.

You maybe right that we will be having to do deals for resources  ...... the deals may or may not be friendly ..... but one thing is for sure, as a species we have to change  our Modus Operandi from one of consumers to one of growers and gatherers and fixers , where we become more community reliant as opposed to globally reliant.

This is perhaps one of the greatest challenges for a  country like New Zealand where we rely on exporting to provide the revenue to buy essentials from overseas ......such as  medicine, fuel, vehicles, plastic and glass jars for honey. 

On a small scale I liken it to our family employing younger family members  to help out with chores so they have money for motorcycle gas and fixes. An introverted economy  does not create an outside money go round that fattens our belts. The status quo remains and potentially diminishes.  

Hopefully Jacinda has a plan.

6 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

Interesting concept. So you have a jar full of wonderfull honey with a label on it. Great, that has just cost you money for zero return. What next?

How do you get it on to shelves? (Remember in the case of Manuka honey there are at least 200 different jars with labels on them) How do you get a retailer to put this on the shelf and pay you for the privilege? How many shelves? It needs to be many hundreds probably thousands for this to work, but how many for this jar with a label to be cost effective? Now before you get a repeat order you have to sell some. Out of all those jars with labels on, why is the consumer going to choose your jar? (if your answer is price you have failed the test) 

I agree putting a label on a jar is easy. Creating a brand is a world apart from this. 

The next stage is your budget. R&D and Marketing above the line and below the line. Do you know how much you need? More importantly do you know how to make those budget dollars work? 

'it’s not rocket science .... it just takes quite a bit of r&d budget' - now that is one of the greatest lines ever. It should be carved in to every tomb stone of every failed product with a label that believed they were a brand. 

I always thought the greatest line ever "I have a cunning plan".

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, jamesc said:

A plan so cunning, you could pin a tail on it and called it a fox.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Blackadder for PM !!!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Hopefully Jacinda has a plan.

No plan there.
Xi on the other hand....

• Agree 1

And I thought you had to be an optimist to be a beekeeper. 

9 minutes ago, john berry said:

And I thought you had to be an optimist to be a beekeeper. 

You do.

You should not underestimated the importance of distribution. Getting supermarket retail space is a slow go.  There are lots of new products wanting  to make the shelves only so many can go on in any give week, there is a waiting list. Some times of the year like now they simply will not launch a new product. It could easily take a year from start to first sale.  Then they will want to trail it in a few stores 1st to make sure people buy it before role out. Even then most supermarkets make their own decion on what to stock so you will have to deal with them all individually.

The logistics involved are also challenging when you want to move the volume you have got. 

Edited by flash4cash
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Love it - It probably is

58 minutes ago, john berry said:

And I thought you had to be an optimist to be a beekeeper

25 minutes ago, flash4cash said:

You should not underestimated the importance of distribution. Getting supermarket retail space is a slow go.  There are lots of new products wanting  to make the shelves only so many can go on in any give week, there is a waiting list. Some times of the year like now they simply will not launch a new product. It could easily take a year from start to first sale.  Then they will want to trail it in a few stores 1st to make sure people buy it before role out. Even then most supermarkets make their own decion on what to stock so you will have to deal with them all individually.

The logistics involved are also challenging when you want to move the volume you have got. 

Guys .... we've been here before.  We used to sell honey in a pot into the UK.  That was when manuka was $4.80/kg bulk.  We won the supreme taste Awards in London in 2005 for our Clover honey. What with the freight, import duty, storage  and distributor fees  the costs all added up, but we upped the price of the Manuka in the jar from $4.80/kg to $20.00/kg. It worked, .

Then the price of NZ bulk went through the roof, a young family came along and to be honest  it was easier to sell it bulk in a drum. And besides , at the end of the day I'm a lazy ##### prone to taking the path of least resistance.

So here we are full circle. It's not really a job I want as I have enough to do already, and i don't think I can afford to employ Adam ..... But ....  I find it very frustrating to walk into the shed every morning and say G'day to the honey mountain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

You do.

Exposure , exposure, exposure

If you are deadly serious, and I suspect you are , a charismatic bloke as yourself should be able to get yourself a slot on a certain rural TV programme , which would only be the start . It would jumpstart your profile , and you can tell a story, man can you tell a story........., Then from there it's up to your creative imagination to bounce off the start and continue on your journey. 

Everything starts small and builds.......you are already half way there ?

Edited by M4tt
  • Good Info 1

I cant wait to see James on TV

• Agree 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Philbee said:

We will be alright  @Philbee , no one will be able to find us  in the middle of no where .

3 hours ago, DeeGeeBee said:

A plan so cunning, you could pin a tail on it and called it a fox.

A fox !!!! ???

28 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

No, It was a weasel.

i just figured he meant the fox that ate the weasel and absorbed all its cunning ;)

Edited by tommy dave

27 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

No, It was a weasel.

I did wonder if my memory had failed me. Again.

Funny as it is foxes that are always portrayed as cunning in kids books and folklore etc. They are particularly adept at getting your chooks.

Weasels, not so much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DeeGeeBee said:

Funny as it is foxes that are always portrayed as cunning in kids books and folklore etc. They are particularly adept at getting your chooks.

Weasels, not so much.

If I remember correctly.

"I have a plan so cunning, you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel"

At least that is how I remember it.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

If I remember correctly.

"I have a plan so cunning, you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel"

At least that is how I remember it.

I’m pretty sure that you are right @Trevor Gillbanks.

My other favourite is “Vanished, like an old Oak table”

• Haha 1

And just to put this part of the thread to bed once and for all, Tim Berners Lee thought that the World Wide Web would resolve conflict and be the saving grace of humanity when he invented it, but actually it was just for cats, beekeeping forums and Blackadder quotes.

http://blackadderquotes.com/i-have-a-cunning-plan

6245E650-BE6B-4AAF-A5F1-7DEDFB96508F.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, DeeGeeBee said:

Weasels, not so much.

Maybe we got the dumb ones here .

• Like 1