Jose Thayil

AFB management with new powers

Got this email today. Looks like finally something is getting done. Hopefully this will start making a difference. 

60b17750-675b-4cfe-a73e-0be86a62948a.png

Management Agency Announces Compliance and Enforcement Capability

The Management Agency is pleased to announce that it has the capability to take enforcement actions to address serious non-compliance with National American Foulbrood Pest Management Plan rules. This capability has been developed as the result of recent changes driven by the 5-year strategy programme and the Board’s decision to employ a National Compliance Manager and National Operations Manager and transfer the management of AP2s from AsureQuality to the Management Agency.

During the week of 19 November 2018, the Management Agency investigated the apiaries and beekeeping storage shed of a South Island beekeeper whom is known to be non-compliant with pest management plan rules and is responsible for approximately 80% of the AFB in the region where his apiaries are located.

The inspections found AFB in 33 out of 144 hives inspected (23%), and in 16 of the 31 apiary sites with one or more hives (51.6%).

be82566c-cd3c-4bdb-baac-d78f22b085de.jpeg
Figure 1. AFB infected brood frame

The inspections also detected:

• Evidence of “shook swarming” - an illegal practice for managing AFB
  • Contaminated beekeeping equipment exposed to honey bees
  • Failure to keep bees in moveable frame hives, and
  • Two unregistered apiary sites.

07ad7b6a-a927-4eb0-abe8-28e62d919fd8.jpg
Figure 2. Failure to keep bees in moveable frame hives

The Management Agency has destroyed all of the infected beehives and equipment by burning.

1f5be997-7e74-406e-ab6f-305ce49293c4.jpg
Figure 3. Destruction of infected beehives and equipment

The Management Agency has revoked the beekeeper’s DECA.

The Management Agency has also served the beekeeper with a Restricted Place Notice and issued Notices of Direction to comply with pest management plan rules.

The Management Agency will undertake follow-up inspections to verify that the beekeeper is compliant with these directions. Should the beekeeper fail to comply the Management Agency will use its power to act on default, including destruction of non-compliant beehives and equipment, and recovery of the Management Agency’s costs and expenses from the beekeeper.

The beekeeper is now required to complete Certificates of Inspection from 2019 onwards. Breach of this obligation will result in default inspections by the Management Agency and recovery of costs from the beekeeper.

Copyright © 2018 The Management Agency AFB PMP, All rights reserved.
You are a registered beekeeper

Our mailing address is:
The Management Agency AFB PMP
PO Box 44 282
Lower HuttWellington  5040
New Zealand

Add us to your address book

This email was sent to josethayil@hotmail.com
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Management Agency AFB PMP · PO Box 44 282 · Lower Hutt, Wellington 5040 · New Zealand 

open.php?u=243d2c0e101a57a2d71a67e42&id=af82c81ead&e=cf0bc4d77a

Have to say that Clifton King is certainly walking his talk, congratulations to him and what a giant leap forward in AFB control.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

This makes me a very happy beekeeper, and I'll add my congratulations also.  Watch the AFB rates come down.  One thought though, is the Agency going to get inundated with "anonymous information" to the extent that it will be difficult to arrange Inspections in a timely manner. 

I would like to see a name and shame available as well, how do we know that they are/were not selling bees/gear to unsuspecting purchasers?

Those pictures are amazing. The feeder/excluder/frame hybrid is such a monster.

• Agree 2

I was pleased to see the email, but did feel they fell short. This keeper is a shameless repeated noncompliance issue. 

He he should be shut down. And if 50% of his gear is infected, it’s all infected. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Josh said:

I was pleased to see the email, but did feel they fell short. This keeper is a shameless repeated noncompliance issue. 

He he should be shut down. And if 50% of his gear is infected, it’s all infected. 

I completely agree . The failure of the system is it is still relying on the defendant to be honest, which is highly unlikely 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, M4tt said:

I completely agree . The failure of the system is it is still relying on the defendant to be honest, which is highly unlikely 

Much like people get banned from driving,  for driving while banned etc.

Education and supervised compliance is obviously an effective tool for many, but such wholesale and blatant flouting of rules and responsibility deserves a far greater penalty.

• Agree 3

Burn the lot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

No mention of a fine. Hardly a deterrent.

• Agree 2

At least there is recovery of costs with non compliance and non compliant beekeepers will be forced to get their hives inspected.

• Agree 1

Who is this prat ? Anyone know ?  Or area ?

When you look at the most recent AFB heat map it gives a few likely locations. Not much to go on though.

South-Island-AFB-Density-Mar17-to-Feb18-002.jpg

finally showing some teeth, glad to hear it.

Good to see notices of direction being served, i think that allows for prosecution via the courts if breached? which would i think have the potential to result in criminal conviction as well as naming and shaming.

Thing is, this was a very extreme case. I'd like to see some of the less extreme cases be dealt with also. If it's deliberate, and causes pain to others, then it should be prosecutable. Some people have lost tens of thousands of dollars, and even into the 6 figures, due to the pig ignorance of someone else. And no compensation is ever paid cos it can never be proved the guilty party was 100% the cause. 

• Agree 6

I’d like to see unregistered apiaries dealt with. They are being picked up via satellite. I’d like to know unregistered apiaries have had notices posted on them giving them 1 months notice to register or the equipment and colonies are empounded in order to isolate and monitor such hives, or that these hives are destroyed ( ouch). I’d say most if not all beekeepers on this forum have registered apiaries, but it would be great to increase percentages of registration. Wonderful to see action. I was pleased to receive the email from AFB.org. Now, more of the same please. 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2018 at 1:15 PM, RobH said:

No mention of a fine. Hardly a deterrent.

AFB.org will need to show their teeth and use them. Equip the organisation with effective tools please, if necessary update legislation. AFB.org does need tangible penalties they can impose.

• Agree 2

I want to see the definition of an "abandoned Apiary" become part of the law because at the moment their is no definition as I was told by an AP1 last year.

• Agree 2