lexy

cleaning up partially filled frames

hi,

I've got a bunch of hives that I've just moved into flowering manuka, they're already around 4 stack (yes, fun to move).

the top boxes on all of them are around half filled with bush/clover, none capped. the box below also partially filled with top third capped. Id like a clean seperation so i dont dilute the manuka, and of course Id like the bees to get cracking on the manuka:-)

Ive heard if you put an empty super (no frames) below a box and it causes the bees to switch to robbing mode and pull the honey down. Im thinking this is a possible way to get the bees to finish off box 3 and leave box 4 nice and clean for the manuka.

Has anyone tried this? if so, how effective is it and how long does it take?

if it works, it sounds like a useful way to clean up half filled honey supers in autumn so I can do treatments as well

thanks!

and heres a happy bee on clover before the move

PSX_20181124_131141.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, lexy said:

How effective is it 

It works to a point, but not when there is a flow on. Many beeks 'undersuper' and when the flow stops, the bees ignore the empty bottom super. They certainly won’t move honey from the top box down to it.

Encouraging bees to rob the top box and move it down will work when they are hunkering down and when they are interested in storing honey close to the brood, or reducing brood area. It will work better if they have to go through a hole in a hive mat to access it 

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 4

good stuff, thanks M4tt thats saved me a failed experiment:-) 

and to finish up heres a pic that sums up the weather at the moment

20181125_145953.jpg

• Like 16

1 minute ago, lexy said:

good stuff, thanks M4tt thats saved me a failed experiment:-) 

and to finish up heres a pic that sums up the weather at the moment

20181125_145953.jpg

Incredible pic !!!!

Love the native bee on the left . Unaffected by the rain ?

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

thanks:-) hah yeh, clouds of native bees happily working away while my bees stay at home eating honey and watching netflix

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

@lexy, what is your camera? Whatever it is, the operator makes more of a difference, but I’m still hoping I can blame my efforts on my gear.

1 minute ago, cBank said:

@lexy, what is your camera? Whatever it is, the operator makes more of a difference, but I’m still hoping I can blame my efforts on my gear.

galaxy s9. it takes great photos!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 2/12/2018 at 7:46 PM, cBank said:

actually i got a second hand nikon d800 as well recently to try some night photography if u want to see a pic from that. I'll have to shrink it right down tho... it takes around a 40mb pic!

• Like 2

On 2/12/2018 at 7:46 PM, cBank said:

@lexy

just a screenshot of it sry... a bit tricky on my phone:-)

Screenshot_20181204-142712_Gallery.jpg

Edited by lexy
wrong image
  • Like 6

@lexy what a fabulous shot. that would be fabulous as  computer wallpaper.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lexy said:

just a screenshot of it sry... a bit tricky on my phone:-)

Screenshot_20181204-142712_Gallery.jpg

Very cool. Great photo.

Bees naturally put honey above them, so if you put a part-filled super under the brood box, they may well take the honey up. Or they may not - if there is a flow on for example. One way to encourage them to empty the super underneath is to use an eke - spacer an inch or two high with an entrance and place it between the lower super and the brood box. Block off the lower entrance. Bees will reorientate to the upper entrance and with luck remove the honey from downstairs.

To remove uncapped honey from a super above the brood nest, you need a clearer board between the super you want to empty and the rest of the hive. The bees think that the clearer board is at the top of the nest and anything above it is "outside the hive"  If there is a flow on, the bees will just fill the super. If not - and in autumn - they will generally bring the honey down. Note that if bees think that honey is "outside the hive" they will fly out of the entrance to try to find it. As the round dance gives no sense of direction, bees will enter any hive or any place within the apiary lloking for the food that's above their heads and therefore can start robbing. Do the process in the evening and they will have located the honey by morning and not go out-a-robbing.

Edited by AdamD

A queen I clipped and marked earlier this year.

Microsoft/Nokia 950XL.

Queen Nat 8 Oct 2018a.jpg

• Like 3

Shes's very dark compared to ours @AdamD . I have been reading up on British bees the last couple of days so is this what you might call the british black bee (amm) or Buckfast ?

Edited by DeeGeeBee
grammar

She is just one of my local girls - I just breed from my best. Some come out lighter and some darker. You are correct that there is a relatively small group of beekeepers in the UK who think that there is a British Black Bee and breed for colour and other characteristics. This one is definitely not a black bee - they are much darker. Here's a light one from this year which some would think might be a Buckfast or Italian.

Queen marked red.jpg

• Like 3

@AdamD you must be very skilled to catch a queen and clip her wings.

i managed  to squash a queen in a queen catcher, designed so that could not happen, i would not dare pick one up .

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Mummzie said:

@lexy what a fabulous shot. that would be fabulous as  computer wallpaper.

aw thanks:-D ?

16 hours ago, DeeGeeBee said:

Very cool. Great photo.

thanks:-) at the time i was kicking myself for not looking at the moon chart before i went out.... but it ended up making the photo. a happy accident

@AdamD that's great info - especially the part about potentially kicking off robbing into other hives! I hadnt heard of that

? hmmmm then theoretically that same principle could apply to top feeding syrup.... 

1 hour ago, lexy said:

@AdamD that's great info - especially the part about potentially kicking off robbing into other hives! I hadnt heard of that

? hmmmm then theoretically that same principle could apply to top feeding syrup.... 

Best not to spill a drop .

With a top feeder you can gently slide the cover board back in the evening and pour in warm syrup with little fuss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexy said:

a happy accident

Happy accident = Serendipity

An a+ photo.

• Like 1