Trevor Gillbanks

December 2018 Apiary Diary

Nice swim in the pelorus on Friday. Probably should have fished it instead, but... next time perhaps, i'd sort of planned to grab some trout elsewhere that day, but got a bit sidetracked... never mind. Anyway, that's not bees, so...

I went through a nelson hive last night (murphy street in victory for those local to the area). Somewhat of a dream scenario, a friend of mine wanted a hive along with several of her friends. An experienced beek hooked them up with a swarm in good gear and kept the hive registered in their name for the first year, going through hives alongside this crew of new beekeepers. They then registered themselves this spring and the hive is now in their hands, they go through it together slowly, figure things out, and have access to support. Sounds like their only real issue is getting a smoker to stay smoking. Turns out that's a fairly easy thing to trouble-shoot ;)

Anyway, my friend was a little nervous about the current hive situation and hadn't been into it for a couple of weeks. So we did it together. All was well other than running low on space. Two new supers going on this week. There was a lot of excitement about the queen when we spotted her, if i'd realised the queen had been invisible for a year i wouldn't have moved on so quickly, oh well.. Nice to be more-or-less just an observer going through a nicely set up hive, and give only a couple of tips to make life even easier. The ten litre bucket of honey i'd taken down for them is probably fairly redundant given they have a box ready to extract right now, but at least it's no longer taking up space at my place.

Washed it all down with a meal for ten based around Nelson Lakes chamois, and a box of speights before the whiskey came out. Catching the 7am flight back to Wellington for work this morning wasn't something i was entirely over the moon about. Looking forward to picking my car up from nelson a few days from now and hitting the road for a bit, only downside is that i'll end up in dunedin and have to extract another pile of honey. Life's tough :)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

@tommy dave good to see something positive coming out of Murphy street.

Lots of old trees around  victory  area , I wonder if there is a linden tree.

• Like 1

The Pelorus is always cold. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, yesbut said:

The Pelorus is always cold. 

It certainly would be compared to the Maitai .

The learning curve for this season...
some noted  back ground 

On 2/11/2018 at 9:53 PM,  Beefriendly said: 

Interesting day...

I have a hive that was supposed to go to a new beek The hive was checked on Tuesday 30/10, eggs, larvae, capped brood, stores, no AFB, Queen right. All looked good. 

So, being a nosey beek... 2/11

thought I’d have a check for her majesty. She’s a red dot, black girl, from Nov 2017 split, usually easily spotted.

On a thorough check through the frames, she wasn’t to be seen. No fresh eggs...On frame 7 there is a fine specimen of a hatched Queen cell. Obviously one I missed.  

I’m 99.9% certain , they’ve superseded her. 

Those bees, it would seem had different ideas.

An update on this hive...now renamed ‘the hive to go’ ( or not) seems they have different ideas...

7/11 quick check x10 queen cells.

Left 2 that seemed of similar age,  maybe a virgin queen?

10/11 couldn’t not peep qCells still in tact.Destroyed one...no eggs, still capped brood, bee numbers and activity is good...

16/11 hatched qCell frame of eggs introduced 

25/11 the frame of eggs  beautifully capped no queen cells

2/12 Eggs, Young larvae

10/12 Queen sighted, eggs, capped brood

hive transferred to new hardware 

Hive now good to go!! 

Collected 18/12!

The transfer went without a hitch

no stray bees noted on their old site this am...

The report today from the new beeks lots of bee activity  noted

So their journey begins....

• Like 1

did a walkaway split on a hive on November 21st. Nine days later i checked on the splits. The queenless daughter had emergency cells on two frames, so i split it again, one of those frames for each. Today, a month from the original split and both of the emergency queen daughters seem to be doing well with plenty of stores, bees, and a new generation of capped brood on its way. Benefit of splitting from strength\.

Added a box full of undrawn waxed plastics to each of a couple of healthy hives twelve days ago. Bloody bees have drawn and filled the lot. Add some more boxes i guess. Flow seems fairly heavy right now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tommy dave said:

did a walkaway split on a hive on November 21st. Nine days later i checked on the splits. The queenless daughter had emergency cells on two frames, so i split it again, one of those frames for each. Today, a month from the original split and both of the emergency queen daughters seem to be doing well with plenty of stores, bees, and a new generation of capped brood on its way. Benefit of splitting from strength\.

Added a box full of undrawn waxed plastics to each of a couple of healthy hives twelve days ago. Bloody bees have drawn and filled the lot. Add some more boxes i guess. Flow seems fairly heavy right now.

Is this in dunedin.?

Do you know what the flow is 

7 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Is this in dunedin.?

Do you know what the flow is 

wellington, lots of pohutukawa flowering so that's probably what's causing the space to run out.

3 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

wellington, lots of pohutukawa flowering so that's probably what's causing the space to run out.

Theres lots of pohutukawa flowering well in the bay .

But not near me , my three trees are all leaf.

I would like to plant more but i am under pressure not to because they are not local to the area and could hybridise with the rata .

On 17/12/2018 at 9:16 PM, kaihoka said:

@tommy dave good to see something positive coming out of Murphy street.

Lots of old trees around  victory  area , I wonder if there is a linden tree.

Bought my first house in Murphy St. It was the only remotely affordable house available in Nelson at the time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hellsbelle said:

Bought my first house in Murphy St. It was the only remotely affordable house available in Nelson at the time.

The area is becoming quite gentrified now .

• Like 1

So my grumpy stroppy ladies were simply getting ready to swarm... which they did yesterday when I was at work in the only ½ day without rain in ages. 

Luckily I got them out of a neighbours tree before it started raining again. 

Quite exciting to get my first swarm. 

• Like 4

Well it’s a dull day here so catch up time with my least favourite job Beekeeping 

6320B9B8-8854-4FC6-872C-1C51B092B339.jpeg

@Oma are you doing that in the kitchen .!!!

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

@Oma are you doing that in the kitchen .!!!

No it makes way to much mess. I did it on the garage floor with the doors closed as it sure attracts the bees. I have also rendered it down in the room I use for extracting but that needs to be kept clean at this time of the year.  I am resisting getting any more gear so have to extract often to give the bees frames to fill.  The season seems very early this year and the extracted honey tastes different from other seasons, might have something to do with the phacelia around the place.  I planted heaps under my apple trees as phacelia is supposed to suppress codling moths and from what I can see so far it’s working.  ?

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

51 minutes ago, Oma said:

No it makes way to much mess. I did it on the garage floor with the doors closed as it sure attracts the bees. I have also rendered it down in the room I use for extracting but that needs to be kept clean at this time of the year.  I am resisting getting any more gear so have to extract often to give the bees frames to fill.  The season seems very early this year and the extracted honey tastes different from other seasons, might have something to do with the phacelia around the place.  I planted heaps under my apple trees as phacelia is supposed to suppress codling moths and from what I can see so far it’s working.  ?

Be interested in what the phacelia honey is like .

I melt all the wax again and pour through muslim cloth .

The first melt is in water .

After it cools you can scape most of the slag off the bottom .

I find the flour sieve does the job of getting rid of the dross, but when it comes to knocking the hot dross out of the sieve it splatters everywhere. ??

@kaihoka Im more than happy to send you down a jar of what I’m sure is phacelia honey, I just found so many of my hives had collected the same nectar in comparison to the varieties between hives Ive had other years. It’s golden syrup coloured and quite different.  We tend to get a huge blend of all sorts here definitely nothing mono floral.  Will pm you for your address.

F638B83C-DE2B-4E44-9270-BD91BA074FEB.jpeg

• Like 5

@Oma  I shall send you some of my last seasons honey which I think had lots of phacelia. This year has not been so good . Too much rainy weather . I shall have kanuka and manuka 

• Like 2

Shifted some bees last night and came across a crash in the wee small hours.

Not a nice start to Christmas 

Take care out there people 

• Sad 3

visiting a mate on motueka west bank road a few days ago and during a wander through the property spied a 20 hive apiary, that on closer look appeared to be a close to 40 hive apiary?!

hard to tell, looked like a bunch of them were set up as single brood-excluder-two supers then a split board with entrance facing away from the bottom entrance, and a couple more supers on top of that.

Anyone here?

6 hours ago, tommy dave said:

visiting a mate on motueka west bank road a few days ago and during a wander through the property spied a 20 hive apiary, that on closer look appeared to be a close to 40 hive apiary?!

hard to tell, looked like a bunch of them were set up as single brood-excluder-two supers then a split board with entrance facing away from the bottom entrance, and a couple more supers on top of that.

Anyone here?

There are one or two outfits here that double Q . They'd have been arranged in an oval with a vehicle gap one long side ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

There are one or two outfits here that double Q . They'd have been arranged in an oval with a vehicle gap one long side ?

I've got a pic that should be fairly nondescript in terms of location details but still probably good form not to post it here? - just looked at the pic and that's exactly how they're arranged, yellow-orange seemed to be the general super colour theme. They were all arranged as two hive stacks strapped next to each other, ten such units in total, oval with a vehicle gap exactly. Nice looking apiary tucked into a neat little corner.

He's a good guy. Not on here as far as I know. Loses lots of swarms.

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1