December 2018 Apiary Diary

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another day, another ton.   Manuka too. ☺️   Well actually, gross laden weight a tad over a ton, but once extracted probably around 560 kg's of honey, so, 1/2 a ton.    

Angus and Lowline beef    These are our Pedigree Lowline bulls just finished with the cows and heifers .  

Yeh I did too .  My dairy herd has sold ????? Right , that’s more than enough of that type of talk here 

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, flash4cash said:

The reduction in payout comes from wait for it....an oversupply of milk. Sooo they produce more but get less for it..

What they should do is cut back on expensive concentrates feed and produce less and make more profit. 

Interesting the rain is what is depressing prices, as this will result more milk.   Customers know this so stop trying to chase limited supply as it no long a problem.  What would fix that is if fonterra had quotas. 

I think their assumption that prices will lift in the 2nd half is wrong.  Traditionally they are weaker due to demand falling from China as the fill their tariff free quota.   This artificially pump prices before xmas as chinesse companies rush to secure purchases. 

You are spot on .

However , I haven’t been part of Fonterra for over a decade . 

That makes no difference though as their blundering mismanagement along with the equally poorly managed crowd I supply has killed dairy for the small time dairy farmer now . 

I am about to dry off the last of our cows for the last time , in theory , but they are not sold and there is no market at all . 

Very interesting situation to find oneself in .

There is no doubt in my mind that DGC has a very good working model , but I would caution their ambition of growth 

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

You are spot on .

That makes no difference though as their blundering mismanagement along with the equally poorly managed crowd I supply has killed dairy for the small time dairy farmer now . 

I am about to dry off the last of our cows for the last time , in theory , but they are not sold and there is no market at all . 

There is no doubt in my mind that DGC has a very good working model , but I would caution their ambition of growth 

I am surprised about cow sales i would have thought with m bovis prices would go up. 

Since joinig DGC 12 years ago quota has grown from 1260 to 5500 tons.  It is less risk now than then as we have more markets.  Back 12 years ago Taiwan made up 50% of total sales. DGC is back to being debt free so is in a very strong finincal postion going forward. The current driers has the capacity to take us to 9800. We do need another canning plant though. They have brought the land for the expansion, 12 ha out Te rapa.  Takes 7 years from start to go on a new drier so they start the process now. 

Edited by flash4cash

Interesting news guys and gals.Personally I think Fonterra will go under,who will buy them China? 0r will the govt bail them out like Westland.These are interesting times especially for the honey game so any one that wants a honey co-op get your model right.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bighands said:

Interesting news guys and gals.Personally I think Fonterra will go under,who will buy them China? 0r will the govt bail them out like Westland.These are interesting times especially for the honey game so any one that wants a honey co-op get your model right.

When my eldest son was about 16YO (4 years ago) his school was teaching him why Fontera and the industry as a whole was a disaster in the making
It seemed that the crux of the problems stemmed from an industry wide inclination to over spend.

Sorry about all this irrelevant ramble in the wrong place .

Anyway. MBovis has not created any demand for cows . Quite the opposite actually. 

And there are bigger forces at play.

Negative growth

Very unreliable and unstable payout projections

Decades of over promising and under performance 

Low farmer morale

Larger than ever debt

Poor public perception 

A very very small percentage of energetic enthusiastic people coming through 

High cost of production/ low net return 

I’ll stop right there..

This will be extremely boring to those wanting to report and read about Dec. beekeeping 

Again, my apologies 

• Agree 1
7 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Sorry about all this irrelevant ramble in the wrong place .

Anyway. MBovis has not created any demand for cows . Quite the opposite actually. 

Negative growth

Low farmer morale

Larger than ever debt

Poor public perception 

I’ll stop right there..

This will be extremely boring to those wanting to report and read about Dec. beekeeping 

Again, my apologies 

Truth is Mat there isnt a lot of Beekeeping activity going on here due to the weather.
I looked inside two Hives today, both at Home.
One was a large swarm that set itself up in two empty stacked Nuc boxes or at least I hope it was one swarm and not two because they are now both in one box.

Edited by Philbee
  • Agree 1
23 hours ago, Stoney said:

Stoney by name stoney by nature... 

this off on hot cold weather and flow has me still scraping up these things  into nuc boxes.. and they’re up on their target crop sites.. annoying.. starving or swarming. 

Shes an odd season. 

FF4A1A3E-9992-4113-9075-09CD02D36258.png

Uh Huh ..... I went to load a yard the other night and four pallets had swarms sitting on the side of the boxes .  Whatever ..... I just shovelled them into the feeders and slapped hem back on top of the hive.   We've moved on from fixing up the queenlees or supersedures. They just get brooded up with four frames of brood, after which it's every hive for itself. But to quote Ricky Baker in the movie 'Hunt for the wilder people' ....."No bee left behind."

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, jamesc said:

six cups of coffee

How does that work ? Coffee to wake you up after a night with the doctor, or a night with the doctor to bring you down off the coffee ?

Seems overkill ?

You are right though. A good dose of positivity to start the day and a purpose work wonders ?

1 minute ago, M4tt said:

How does that work ? Coffee to wake you up after a night with the doctor, or a night with the doctor to bring you down off the coffee ?

Seems overkill ?

You are right though. A good dose of positivity to start the day and a purpose work wonders ?

Um .... I'm not sure. The coffee gets me buzzing for the day.  A session with The Doctor just takes the edge off the day and i can snore my head off for six or seven hours ready to buzz in the morning.  Despite what many people say, Alchohol is a great thing. It's a leveller where people of all walks of life can come together and enjoy the variety of company where guards and fronts are dropped and we become our true selves.   It needs to used wisely !

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, jamesc said:

.  Despite what many people say, Alchohol is a great thing. It's a leveller where people of all walks of life can come together and enjoy the variety of company where guards and fronts are dropped and we become our true selves.   

And it keeps the wheels of commerce turning !

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

Negative growth

Low farmer morale

Larger than ever debt

Poor public perception 

on monday I drove from new plymouth to hawera via the coast then continued down to wellington. It felt like there were a lot more dairy farms and run-offs for sale than normal, would be interesting to know if that's true. I did hear that one of my sister's friends very recently put in a lowball tender for a dairy farm kind of as a joke. It was the only tender received, and the vendor had to sell so they got it for a steal - and now the new owners have to deal with the fact that they bought it...

25 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

on monday I drove from new plymouth to hawera via the coast then continued down to wellington. It felt like there were a lot more dairy farms and run-offs for sale than normal, would be interesting to know if that's true. I did hear that one of my sister's friends very recently put in a lowball tender for a dairy farm kind of as a joke. It was the only tender received, and the vendor had to sell so they got it for a steal - and now the new owners have to deal with the fact that they bought it...

Yes . That’s true . Many more farms for sale than ever before , everywhere 

• Good Info 1
8 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

sounds like a good time for thorough due diligence and lowball offers, if only i was the entrepreneurial type or had capital behind me...

Hmm, unless you really like the lifestyle , which I really do , you’d be better holding onto your cash 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CraBee said:

Tree on the left got the party invite, is at the party, and is in fact the life of the party.

Tree on the right got the invite, undecided, probably have a quiet New Years.

Taken from the entrance to Ecrotek's Auckland office/warehouse.

IMG_2321.jpg

Classic. The one on the right looks a lot like the Pohut’s down here. Much later than last year. 

• Agree 1
10 hours ago, M4tt said:

You are spot on .

I hope you have something to rely on beside honey and milk .