Trevor Gillbanks

December 2018 Apiary Diary

9 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

did you have so much rain ?

the bees must have heard you say you did not want so much honey.

Completely different. Hotter and drier last year. This year the bees spend most of their time indoors . It's wet and windy 

They bees are clever . I don’t need any surplus this season ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

Completely different. Hotter and drier last year. This year the bees spend most of their time indoors . It's wet and windy 

They bees are clever . I don’t need any surplus this season ?

A season of low honey production countrywide could actually be a good thing it might get rid of some of the packers stock piles

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I have nailed one.  I will get to the other shortly.  Looks like trolls.

If you see these, then please report the post (top right hand of the post) and the moderators will sort it later.

Does that make you a Billy goat @Trevor Gillbanks

• Haha 4

On 1/12/2018 at 12:21 PM, jamesc said:

"Crate Day" down south ...... whitebait patties, paua, venison steaks on the BBQ  washed down with copious quantities of Speights followed by loud music and drunken debauchary.

I think you must live near me?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I think you must live near me?

Did we keep you up .....?

• Haha 1

My bees are sick of the rain and have decided to fly anyways. 

• Agree 1

Same here, they have been just getting on with it, the sun keeps wanting to come out... then more drizzle starts.

• Like 1

Bees flying in the rain here in Wairarapa also.  Lots of brood and not much honey yet, so must be using all they get.  Not sure how the Manuka boys (make that people) are going but wondering when we are going to get some nectar flow, as usually at least a full box by now.  NW wind forecast after the rain eases off.  Must be hard work for the girls atm. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Beehaving said:

Bees flying in the rain here in Wairarapa also.  Lots of brood and not much honey yet, so must be using all they get.  Not sure how the Manuka boys (make that people) are going but wondering when we are going to get some nectar flow, as usually at least a full box by now.  NW wind forecast after the rain eases off.  Must be hard work for the girls atm. 

I think all the rain will be diluting the nectar and making the bees work a lot harder .

• Agree 1

just had a few days in taranaki. Went through my favourite apiary = hives i've driven up from wellington in the back of the ford laser at various times. Thought they might be light on stores, nope.

One hive had swarmed i'd guess about a week back, another that morning or close to it (caught those abandon-ship need-more-space bees!). Rest were packed but yet to act on it. Built a few boxes, had the frames ready to go already. Wouldn't be surprised if three more boxes per hive is going to be insufficient until i'm there next, luckily i have some backup gear and someone with a clue who will check for me just in case.

Went through the two hives of said person with a clue too - his hives looked great, his only issue is going to be how to deal with all the bloody honey. The appraoch of single frame crush and strain will likely end up taking too much time for his two hives this season i imagine, we only pulled off half a full depth box yesterday - mostly due to time constraints, grew the hive stacks instead. I suspect he'll be raiding my boxes and frames stash (ha, the boxes are kitset yet to be made up!) fairly soon

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 4

Had a quick peek into hives since the latest electrical storm has passed and it's a nice afternoon. 

Most have started storing a little nectar in one or two frames of the first super. 

In my attempt to send no honey to the extractor this year, my plan is to give them no more supers, so they'll have two brood boxes and one super , which they will then go into winter with , with the QE removed. 

Are there any faults in my plan ?

Whoop whoop! Sun is out and the bees are out frantically collecting ??

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Had a quick peek into hives since the latest electrical storm has passed and it's a nice afternoon. 

Most have started storing a little nectar in one or two frames of the first super. 

In my attempt to send no honey to the extractor this year, my plan is to give them no more supers, so they'll have two brood boxes and one super , which they will then go into winter with , with the QE removed. 

Are there any faults in my plan ?

The bees collect more than you are planning. If they run out of room, what then?

1 minute ago, Beefriendly said:

The bees collect more than you are planning. If they run out of room, what then?

They can store it in the brood nest and slow down the queen laying and go into winter chocka!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M4tt said:

They can store it in the brood nest and slow down the queen laying and go into winter chocka!!

Interesting ?

That’s the beek timetable.

My lesson learnt this season is... there’s a bee timetable 

Got asked today how the flow was going, replied that about the only flow I could see was falling straight out of sky.  Whoever has been doing the rain dance, you can stop now.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, CraBee said:

Got asked today how the flow was going, replied that about the only flow I could see was falling straight out of sky.  Whoever has been doing the rain dance, you can stop now.

We have got our normally westerly wind back , its been a really calm spring .

I had forgotten what it was like .

Today I will check the fruit trees and see if there is any fruit left on them .

• Like 2

Still doing swarm check but they are slowing down some. Today will be the first time for some for 12 days so might be the odd surprise or virgin.

@M4tt Alittle off topic.  Sorry to hear about the reduction forecast in payout.  I can not beleive fonterra is considering sell it icecream business to reduce debt.  That makes no sense, tiptop is a goldmine since it basically sells branded air. Just goes to show how dumb the strategy in fonterra really is.  I know they have to much debt, however sell what got you into debt not the crown jewels.  Just because they can get a good price for it.  This just futher weakens fonerra longterm. 

• Agree 3

15 minutes ago, flash4cash said:

@M4tt Alittle off topic.  Sorry to hear about the reduction forecast in payout.  I can not beleive fonterra is considering sell it icecream business to reduce debt.  That makes no sense, tiptop is a goldmine since it basically sells branded air. Just goes to show how dumb the strategy in fonterra really is.  I know they have to much debt, however sell what got you into debt not the crown jewels.  Just because they can get a good price for it.  This just futher weakens fonerra longterm. 

Maybe its any indication of just how bad off they are.
The stuff that got them into debt may have no  value

5 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Maybe its any indication of just how bad off they are.
The stuff that got them into debt may have no  value

That is true a couple of billion lost in 2 poor Chinese investments. 

It does seem strange. Selling off an added value product. Maybe that's the problem, they just can't do anything very well except ship milk powder.

4 minutes ago, yesbut said:

It does seem strange. Selling off an added value product. Maybe that's the problem, they just can't do anything very well except ship milk powder.

They said it is an abnormally in their business..yes a high profit margin valued added branded goldmine.  Making the other parts look poor. Best get rid of it so underpreforming parts look better. 

Edited by flash4cash

The reduction in payout comes from wait for it....an oversupply of milk. Sooo they produce more but get less for it..

What they should do is cut back on expensive concentrates feed and produce less and make more profit. 

Interesting the rain is what is depressing prices, as this will result more milk.   Customers know this so stop trying to chase limited supply as it no long a problem.  What would fix that is if fonterra had quotas. 

I think their assumption that prices will lift in the 2nd half is wrong.  Traditionally they are weaker due to demand falling from China as the fill their tariff free quota.   This artificially pump prices before xmas as chinesse companies rush to secure purchases. 

• Like 1