Trevor Gillbanks

December 2018 Apiary Diary

9 minutes ago, cBank said:

As an aside, messaging that person doesn’t get you @M4tt. I was doing that too.

?. What does this mean ?

9 minutes ago, cBank said:

The fact that fencing is built like that makes me nervous.

That’s how cattle yards should be . Built over engineered . Keeps people and livestock safe . 

Those bulls are docile 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, M4tt said:

?. What does this mean ?

That’s how cattle yards should be . Built over engineered . Keeps people and livestock safe . 

Those bulls are docile 

There is another person with an ‘a’ rather than a 4 in their name. I’ve mentioned them before rather than you and it alerts the wrong person.

I don’t think I’ve seen such a tidy yard before. It’s excellent.

Edited by cBank

10 minutes ago, cBank said:

There is another person with an ‘a’ rather than a 4 in their name. I’ve mentioned them before rather than you and it alerts the wrong person.

I don’t think I’ve seen such a tidy yard before. It’s excellent.

Ah?

Thankyou?

@M4tt keeping my fingers crossed for you that fake meat doesn't take off .

@M4tt thouses are some good lookin animals.  Beauiful condition. They look tasty.

Nice yards too

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, cBank said:

As an aside, messaging that person doesn’t get you @M4tt. I was doing that too.

Ohh yes I keep forgetting it’s matt with a 4 

Have to use the correct FourMatt.

Sorry...

• Haha 8
  • Spoon 1

Back on topic. It looks like most of the country's experiencing good weather today, so the bees should be making the most of it and getting out and about.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

46 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@M4tt keeping my fingers crossed for you that fake meat doesn't take off .

I'm not concerned at all if it does. Food is food and we all need feeding . I view fake meat as just another alternative food source , and if you like it, then why not. 

Much like C4 honey. It’s probably very nice ?

Realistically though, there are a growing percentage of the population who don’t like and won’t eat meat. I have no problem with that.   Meat is meat . Fake meat is something else. A bit like apples versus a muesli bar 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, M4tt said:

I'm not concerned at all if it does. Food is food and we all need feeding . I view fake meat as just another alternative food source , and if you like it, then why not. 

Much like C4 honey. It’s probably very nice ?

Realistically though, there are a growing percentage of the population who don’t like and won’t eat meat. I have no problem with that.   Meat is meat . Fake meat is something else. A bit like apples versus a muesli bar 

There's a growing percentage that like meat, but are trying to reduce their consumption of meat.  My view is that there will always be a place for top quality, ethically grown foostuffs that attract a premium.  If you only eat meat once or twice a week why not have the best you can?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, DeeGeeBee said:

There's a growing percentage that like meat, but are trying to reduce their consumption of meat.  My view is that there will always be a place for top quality, ethically grown foostuffs that attract a premium.  If you only eat meat once or twice a week why not have the best you can?

I agree with this , although I will add that if you like meat you should be able to afford to eat it .

Mine all goes to local market in Auckland which means that if you buy your prime beef from a local butcher or supermarket in the North Island, there is a chance you are eating high quality , respectfully farmed , grass fed beef farmed to the highest environmental and animal welfare standards without the niche price tag , from me. 

Now it  sounds like I’m laying it on a bit thick , but that’s how it is ??

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, BeeGirl said:

Back on topic. It looks like most of the country's experiencing good weather today, so the bees should be making the most of it and getting out and about.

Im not ready to talk about sunshine yet..to afraid we will scare it away. ?

Love seeing the bees busy, having something else to do than sting me. They can be moody in bad weather.  Still checking for swarming.  They are still trying.  

Noticing more hives with varroa in drone brood and some PMS.  So am going to treat the lot. Philbees Stapes trail are only early days however I am going to pump them all with Philbee Staples EP Thins I think.  I like them easy to insert.  It will be a good test for them in stong hives in full swing.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DeeGeeBee said:

Be very careful to don't get burned.. At my place You would be deeply wrong..

5 minutes ago, Goran said:

Be very careful to don't get burned.. At my place You would be deeply wrong..

What do you mean @Goran?

Difference in demand for premium and " regular"..

Other thing all agriculture products at my place.. premium products are forced to go for lower price if they want to be sold at all, not rarely to absurd at same price as regular junk food..

That was happening gradually in years.. and that killed our agriculture which is now " dead man walking".. one of the reasons of high emigration from country which is still on high pace..

• Good Info 1
  • Sad 3

Just now, Goran said:

Difference in demand for premium and " regular"..

Other thing all agriculture products at my place.. premium products are forced to go for lower price if they want to be sold at all, not rarely to absurd at same price as regular junk food..

That was happening gradually in years.. and that killed our agriculture which is now " dead man walking".. one of the reasons of high emigration from country which is still on high pace..

Thanks . Yes I thought that’s what you meant .?

My personal opinion: We have subsidies for agriculture which stimulate all but agriculture, it looks as stimulating to produce less or pretend to produce anything and get money for it.. There should be zero subsidies and help agriculture industry in other ways.. I am not in any politic party nor I am willing to join any, this is my free thinking, well mostly that left to me - beside couple barrels of honey and pile of hazelnuts not yet sold even I desperately need a money - I just said ENOUGH, rather it will rot than sell it for nickle and others laugh at my misery..

Forgot, to someone don't overlook, this I talk about my place not for New Zealand.. 

Edited by Goran
  • Like 2

They were flying all around the hive as if about to swarm but now they are settling on the front of hive like this! I figure it's too late to prevent swarming.. any ideas? They're all very relaxed so it's definitely not robbing.. 

Snapchat-1902388133.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely pic @Alc Light your smoker & suit up. Get gear ready

A couple of questions

1. Do you think these bee are from this hive? 
  2. How much room is there in this hive?

Possible suggestions

1. Put a box of heavily waxed frames slightly ajar towards the front of the hive and gently smoke them up into the box.
  2. Put a box of heavily waxed frames on a base close as you can to the ‘swarm’ brush down with a soft brush into the top of the frames and then gently smoke into box top sweep, bottom smoke. If you get the queen they should march in . Stop occasionally to see if they are going into the box. 

Good luck!

Edited by Bron
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

@Alc 

I might be totally wrong with this, but I would offer them a box or two to relocate to if they want. Maybe baited with lemongrass oil  if you have some.

Place the box right beside that hive  and perhaps leave the lid half off so they can get in quickly. It could be a swarm that hasnt had a chance to scout a location yet, but was forced to go because of hatchings.

If its not a swarm, and you don't disturb them too much, they might just go home.

good luck.(and keep us posted) and pay more attention to Bron, she knows what she is doing.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the tips! Im pretty sure they are from the hive there are some with pollen sacks too.. They're more bearding currently so I've wedged sticks between the boxes there already in case they're just short on space and hot but how they were flying before was very smarmy!  Ive put an empty hive next to them and now just checking another hive at a friends then back to watch that one! 

Snapchat-1985216096.jpg

• Like 1

Had a hive do that recently.  I tried putting a box hard up next to the hive and tried the brush them in technique, then the rain came and they all went back inside.  Two days later the had another go between showers and landed in a tree 4mts away.  I dumped then in front of another box and the immediately walked in no problem.

• Agree 1

Yep, that hive is trying to tell you something not right. Catch it or lose it. Then find out why it did it in the first place. 

Doing nothing is generally not an option that leaves you with bees.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, flash4cash said:

Im not ready to talk about sunshine yet..to afraid we will scare it away. ?

Love seeing the bees busy, having something else to do than sting me. They can be moody in bad weather.  Still checking for swarming.  They are still trying.  

Noticing more hives with varroa in drone brood and some PMS.  So am going to treat the lot. Philbees Stapes trail are only early days however I am going to pump them all with Philbee Staples EP Thins I think.  I like them easy to insert.  It will be a good test for them in stong hives in full swing.  

Put 5 thins per strong box.
You will need to go 6-8 weeks if the mite cycle is in full swing.
The Staples will nail the mites but remember that the Brood will be full of mites as Im guessing these are the hives that werent treated this Spring.
If any of the hives are really bad bring in the heavy hitters (EP Wides)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DeeGeeBee said:

for a few years while i was playing poker for a living and had plenty of free time, I was able to enjoy meat while sticking to a rule of only eating hunted animals/fish or animals from farms i knew. I have less time now, so have adjusted that a little, but that's still somewhat my go-to. Pre-poker i didn't eat white land animal meat that wasn't free-range, but was happy eating good nz red meat as most of the animals have a fairly good grazing life until it's their time to become food. Not so sure about the rise in grain-fed beef from sheds in NZ, i think it should be criminal, as a result i eat less store bought red meat.

edit: I also think that anyone who wouldn't be comfortable killing and cutting up an animal shouldn't be allowed to eat it. As for anyone who gets upset by meat being described as dead animals, if they eat meat then they should be fair game too

Edited by tommy dave
  • Agree 2