Hi, I think a colony of bumblebees near my hives have been displaced and are now trying to get into my hives. There is always at least a couple trying to get in and a couple always dead outside the hive when I check the hives. Is there anything I can do to deter them? It seems too hot and busy to put the entrance reducers back on

Thanks

Not unusual to have them around, even, in, hives. They won't do any harm, and they ones that die aren't going to change the future of the bumblebee's colony.

My advice is to forget about it.

Wait until you see what bees do to them. A bald bumblebee is hard to identify and for some reason the bees strip their fluff off after killing them.

8 hours ago, cBank said:

Wait until you see what bees do to them. A bald bumblebee is hard to identify and for some reason the bees strip their fluff off after killing them.

Not necessarily. Last summer I had a bumblebee that kept trying to get into the hive, by the end of summer she was completely hairless except for a small patch of yellow. 

Bald bumbles are shiny black.

Baldness is greatness, in my humble opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, mischief said:

Not necessarily. Last summer I had a bumblebee that kept trying to get into the hive, by the end of summer she was completely hairless except for a small patch of yellow. 

Bald bumbles are shiny black.

I’d assumed it was a post death plucking.

Let their styling serve as a warning to others.

22 hours ago, Jess said:

Hi, I think a colony of bumblebees near my hives have been displaced and are now trying to get into my hives. There is always at least a couple trying to get in and a couple always dead outside the hive when I check the hives. Is there anything I can do to deter them? It seems too hot and busy to put the entrance reducers back on

Do you have any bumblebee food sources around? The many bumbles here are always on comfrey and borage beside our driveway, lavander, and last summer sunflowers too. I rarely see them at the hives, but occasionally I saw a large dead black bumblebee in front of a hive. Many are large and it appears they would not fit in the beespace between frames, so I wonder what impact they would have inside the hive?

Yes there is a lot of lavender around and we just pulled out the borage beside the hive that they were all over. Maybe that is what they are looking for. It doesn't sound like it's a big deal so maybe I will leave it. It's just crazy to see so many hanging around, and it's just another job for my bees having to rid them.

Thanks for the advice