Markypoo

Question Emergency feeding for beginners

Question

I see from the forum that the commercial guys are feeding their hives at the moment with the rough weather.

My school hives have quite a lot of honey stored so I presume they should  be okay.

Is it only hives without honey in honey supers you have to worry about? Or do I need to give everything a topup?

12 answers to this question

If they’ve got stored honey, leave them be, they’ll be fine

• Agree 1

This time of year is a fine line between success and failure ..... life or death in the beehive. What you have to bear in mind is that the hive today may have plenty of stores ...ish ..... but in  two days four, five or six  frames of brood may hatch out swellling the hungry mouths by as much as 8000 all  looking for Kai ..... and with a wet week ahead they can nose dive very quickly.

I noticed a long time ago when syrup feeding that at this time of year you need a very thick brew to sustain the bees for a week. When the sun came out and they get to work, they only need one good day to gather stores for the next couple of weeks.

In the early spring we put 20 bags of sugar in the tank to make 1000litres.  At this time of year we feed about four kilo of raw per hive.   They suck on it slowly. It does'nt get stored in the honey box and compound yer C4 sugar dilemma, they don't swarm on it ,and if they don't need it, it will be there in late summer  to sustain them after you have stolen their crop.

• Good Info 1

I just have a couple of nucs recently transferred to  full boxes. I had a look yesterday and they still have half a frame of stores, so was going to leave them. Weather looks to be clearing up and it is warm and calm. Buttercup is full bloom so they should find some tucker.

• Like 1

I have fed bees the day before Christmas but I only feed them this time of year if they are below two frames of feed. Fortunately most mine have considerably more than that. Two solid frames of honey will last a strong hive about 10 days at this time of year with the equivalent being about 8 L of heavy syrup. I have use dry sugar in the distant past but wouldn't use it again for any reason at all. It is survival food only and I expect my hives do better than survive.

• Good Info 1

If the bees are strong and coming up through the top feeder, the sugar goes in the feeder. If they 'aint coming up looking, then we slide the feeder forward and tip the raw straight down the back of the brood box. We don't tip it on the top of the brood combs as it trickles down and lodges in the combs and kills all the young larva. 

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

1 minute ago, john berry said:

I have fed bees the day before Christmas but I only feed them this time of year if they are below two frames of feed. Fortunately most mine have considerably more than that. Two solid frames of honey will last a strong hive about 10 days at this time of year with the equivalent being about 8 L of heavy syrup. I have use dry sugar in the distant past but wouldn't use it again for any reason at all. It is survival food only and I expect my hives do better than survive.

You live in the lucky island John ! If I started bee keeping again for a living  , I would'nt do it in Canterbury !

If I started beekeeping again it would be somewhere where nobody could dump hives on top of me. Wouldn't mind my own little island with a couple of hundred hives, milking cow and lots of crayfish. Actually probably be quite happy with 10 hives, a couple of goats and the crayfish.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Yeah nah .... you can keep the crayfish ... bit like whitebait ..... overrated..... IMHO. Goats yes .... they make a nice curry.

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

You live in the lucky island John ! If I started bee keeping again for a living  , I would'nt do it in Canterbury !

Theres a reason I have this place to myself .

When people want to get away from it all they should consider why there is no one else there .

9 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Theres a reason I have this place to myself .

When people want to get away from it all they should consider why there is no one else there .

Im curious Kaihoka, I got my last staffy girl from your area... is the breeder still there?

I remember driving to collect her, a lovely golden red girl we called amber,  all the way from chch... long way! but I do like your area.

1 hour ago, Rashika said:

Im curious Kaihoka, I got my last staffy girl from your area... is the breeder still there?

I remember driving to collect her, a lovely golden red girl we called amber,  all the way from chch... long way! but I do like your area.

was that from sue .

she was saying she had to stop .

but thats like saying i should give up bees and not let them take over my life . LOL