JasonK

Drop in bee prices

So basically there isnt much scope for making money.

i wish I wasnt so addicted to beekeeping. Then maybe there would still be some money in my bank account ?

• Like 2

@Alastair the beek on my place gives me a 20 litre bucket for 16 hives , that seems like an awful lot to me . I do not know what it would weigh.

Is there any money in kanuka ?

The beek will be getting a lot off my place this yr . And manuka , but it will be mixed with the kanuka .

I think some beekeepers give up to a kilo a hive for non manuka sites so you are probably doing well. Course, if it's a really good site, he may feel inclined to give more.

Not much money in kanuka best I can tell but everything is still up in the air. Waitemata Honey who are near me were experimenting with honey mixing and sent a batch they had mixed of 10% manuka to 90% kanuka to be tested, it came back as pure manuka. If that proves to be the norm, kanuka may go back up in price. The issue with kanuka is getting it pure which is hard to do. Around my neck of the woods anyway.

• Good Info 3

7 hours ago, kaihoka said:

@Alastair the beek on my place gives me a 20 litre bucket for 16 hives , that seems like an awful lot to me . I do not know what it would weigh.

Is there any money in kanuka ?

The beek will be getting a lot off my place this yr . And manuka , but it will be mixed with the kanuka .

Iw weighs a maximum of 31kg and anything lower

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Alastair said:

Waitemata Honey who are near me were experimenting with honey mixing and sent a batch they had mixed of 10% manuka to 90% kanuka to be tested, it came back as pure manuka. If that proves to be the norm

I wouldn’t know but I imagine there will be a lot of experimentation going on right now to see what works and what doesn’t.

Non Manuka beekeepers have just gotta try to hang in there and see where the cards fall over the next 2-3 years 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, CraBee said:

No they have a contract with one of the big boys who extract and buy their honey.  Nuc sales are a big part of the business. 

SJA would be better placed than many to do packages as they already have the ability to produce large numbers of mated queens as they have been required to do the numbers of nucs they produce. 

Back in 2010 Arataki were doing 20,000 mated queens for one package order to Canada alone, and they have grown the capability vastly since then. They had a small number of bee suppliers doing bulk bees and they produced all the queens.

I am surprised the Canadian market can still afford to buy nz bees at world honey prices. 

6 minutes ago, flash4cash said:

I am surprised the Canadian market can still afford to buy nz bees at world honey prices. 

World honey prices but also world record honey production.

Canadian beekeepers get small money per pound, but HUGE honey crops. Some of the commercials there harvest 3 times per season, 3 or 4 boxes per time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

How can an average person make money selling bees to overseas 

1 minute ago, JasonK said:

How can an average person make money selling bees to overseas 

Contract to supply bees to one of the exporters ?

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

2-3 years

5 years

6 hours ago, Alastair said:

Canadian beekeepers get small money per pound, but HUGE honey crops. Some of the commercials there harvest 3 times per season, 3 or 4 boxes per time.

Im guessing but a Hive that is big enough to that would be a Varroa wreck come Autumn

@yesbut sounds good! Maybe they would be keen? I guess I won’t count my chickens though!

Just now, JasonK said:

@yesbut got a list of them by any chance?

No. It's bound to be a closed shop hence the question mark

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Im guessing but a Hive that is big enough to that would be a Varroa wreck come Autumn

Is it not so cold over there that alot of hives do not survive winter anyway so no loss? 

40 minutes ago, Philbee said:

5 years

That is a long time.  Given the finincal incentive i would have thought they will crack it before then. 

I got in trouble last time i mention this area so i will not bring it up.  However i am collaborating with the cheese maker and a chef for a dessert goat cheese for the 2019 cheese awards.  We are infusing honey into the centre of the chève cheese.  Because i want to use different honeys for around nz and want it to say liquid i need to stop it from crystallizing. To do this we need to filter the honey to remove the pollen. 

Filteration of honey in nz is not a common practise.  If they thought about it abit more it will become alot more common. 

Edited by flash4cash

30 minutes ago, JasonK said:

@yesbut got a list of them by any chance?

All those who I know of that have exported bees are all long term, respected and trusted beekeepers who can be trusted disease and quality wise, and no quick way to achieve that trust. Too big, too fast don't make the cut to protect a hard won market. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, flash4cash said:

If they thought about it abit more it will become alot more common. 

Why ?

2 minutes ago, flash4cash said:

That is a long time.  Given the finincal incentive i would have thought they will crack it before then. 

I got in trouble last time i mention this area so i will not bring it up.  However i am collaborating with the cheese maker and a chef for a desert goat cheese for the 2019 cheese awards.  We are infusing honey into the centre of the chève cheese.  Because i want to use different honeys for around nz and want it to say liquid i need to stop it from crystallizing. To do this we need to filter the honey to remove the pollen. 

Filteration of honey in nz is not a common practise.  If they thought about it abit more it will become alot more common. 

The 5 years was quoted from Frazzles comment on how long Beeks may need to hunker down for.

Ive just made a cheese and honey slice wrap

Cheap cheese and light honey.

I recon it needs Caviar with it to balance the sweet

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Why ?

I have already started one fire this week i do not think i need to start another one.. i end up under moderation 

• Agree 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, flash4cash said:

I have already started one fire this week i do not think i need to start another one.. i end up under moderation 

What's possibly inflammatory about the pros & cons of filtering honey ?

1 hour ago, flash4cash said:

..................Because i want to use different honeys for around nz and want it to say liquid i need to stop it from crystallizing.

To do this we need to filter the honey to remove the pollen. ...................

Crystallization happens because of the yeast in the honey. Worm the honey to 80-58C for 10-15 min and you kill all the yeast. Job done.