Jump to content
  • 0
Markypoo

Question introducing queens to a hive that has been queenless 10 days

Question

Due to reasons, I won't be able to add a queen to a hive that was made queenless approx 9 days ago. I was expecting to add it after 3 days but stuff happened.

I presume they will have started on queen cells. Should I hunt them out and remove them when I introduce the queen?

What are the potential risks? Virgin killing the queen or swarming?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Yes, yes and no.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Well things didn't work out liked I hoped. The queen arrived on thursday. 11 days after I had made the split. There was one capped queen cell, which I removed. I opened the hive today to check on the bees and found the queen cage empty. But I got a queenless roar from the hive. So I had a look around the entrance, and sure enough, found the queen, dead outside.

I went back through the hive. I couldn't see any queen cells I might of missed, or empty ones a virgin may have hatched from. There was no eggs or larvae present, so probably no laying workers. I am certain there is no virgin there.

 

Is this a common risk with hives queenless for a while?

 

I am tempted to merge them with a queen right hive. Should I wait for a week or two to make certain that I don't have a virgin running around?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
19 minutes ago, Markypoo said:

Well things didn't work out liked I hoped. The queen arrived on thursday. 11 days after I had made the split. There was one capped queen cell, which I removed. I opened the hive today to check on the bees and found the queen cage empty. But I got a queenless roar from the hive. So I had a look around the entrance, and sure enough, found the queen, dead outside.

I went back through the hive. I couldn't see any queen cells I might of missed, or empty ones a virgin may have hatched from. There was no eggs or larvae present, so probably no laying workers. I am certain there is no virgin there.

 

Is this a common risk with hives queenless for a while?

 

I am tempted to merge them with a queen right hive. Should I wait for a week or two to make certain that I don't have a virgin running around?

Thats a bummer.

I was told to put caged queens in  suspect queenless hive but caging a queen seemed to hard so I put queen right hives on top .

I first put a frame of eggs in to check that the hive was queenless .

In this case I found she wasnt and I found and removed the virgin.

In another case I put the queen right hive on top of a QE and newspaper and sprayed air freshner around.

The queen right hive was about equal strength .

This hive had been queenless for a couple of weeks .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I was sure it was queenless because I split the hive and put half the frames in my topbar, along with most of the nurses. I definitely did not see the queen as I hunted quite thoroughly for her. The fact that they had made a queen cell means they probably were queenless. 

It is annoying but I have had a pretty good run of luck introducing queens so maybe now and then they don't play ball. I should know from being a teacher that animals aren't predictable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 minutes ago, Markypoo said:

I was sure it was queenless because I split the hive and put half the frames in my topbar, along with most of the nurses. I definitely did not see the queen as I hunted quite thoroughly for her. The fact that they had made a queen cell means they probably were queenless. 

It is annoying but I have had a pretty good run of luck introducing queens so maybe now and then they don't play ball. I should know from being a teacher that animals aren't predictable.

Was the cell from test eggs you put in . 

It could have been a supersede cell .

The old queen maybe there . Or a virgin from a cell you have missed .

Virgins are really really difficult to spot 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 hours ago, Markypoo said:

Well things didn't work out liked I hoped. The queen arrived on thursday. 11 days after I had made the split. There was one capped queen cell, which I removed. I opened the hive today to check on the bees and found the queen cage empty. But I got a queenless roar from the hive. So I had a look around the entrance, and sure enough, found the queen, dead outside.

I went back through the hive. I couldn't see any queen cells I might of missed, or empty ones a virgin may have hatched from. There was no eggs or larvae present, so probably no laying workers. I am certain there is no virgin there.

 

Is this a common risk with hives queenless for a while?

 

I am tempted to merge them with a queen right hive. Should I wait for a week or two to make certain that I don't have a virgin running around?

Merge with a queen excluder and newspaper. That way if you do have a virgin In there she will be protected and start laying and you can re split.

  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, M4tt said:

Merge with a queen excluder and newspaper. That way if you do have a virgin In there she will be protected and start laying and you can re split.

so the bees will be happy there is another queen in there once they have eaten through the newspaper ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

so the bees will be happy there is another queen in there once they have eaten through the newspaper ?

Yes , as long as the QE stays put 

Of course , she will need a top entrance 

Edited by M4tt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
44 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Yes , as long as the QE stays put 

Of course , she will need a top entrance 

Once you give them a top entrance they get very used to it .

When you shut it they all cluster there .

I generally give up and open it again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, M4tt said:

Yes , as long as the QE stays put 

Of course , she will need a top entrance 

Thanks for that. I put in a frame of brood from my nice carni hive at school, that hasn't swarmed, or even looked like it, and has put down a lot of honey so far.

I am off on school camp tomorrow (taking kids horse trekking and fishing at wanaka) so will see what is there when I come back.

There was a heap of eggs and young larvae so I notched a heap of cells. If there are queen cells can I assume no virgin?

 

 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×