Pollen Colour Chart

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any feedback would be helpful. I’d especially like to find the measured protein percentages for various pollen sources. Any scientists at Ruakura or Lincoln or Massey out there?  I’m startin

Quick Update: All the colours are in on all 4 quadrants...finding enough Winter and Autumn pollens slowed things down. The Paper trail is a doorstop now. So its become obvious i need to put it all int

Mid March-update I’m in my studio slowly finishing this first pollen colour chart, even though it’s full wall size,  it turns out the format I chose for the draft is still way too small to do jus

Posted Images

Yes coloured pencil is great to use! The water colour ones are softer and blend and build up nicely, no need for water. I’m with you on that, I tend to do my botanical drawings in coloured pencil too. My profile picture was a first and last attempt at digital drawing😂 I have hurt my MC ligament hefting raised gardens and soil around the back of house so I will be forced back to doing the database -a good thing. Not keen on doing the necessary boring bits. Hurumph.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Just a quick update. Yep I’m still working on the art work.

The colours are complete on the four charts ready for labelling by hand. About a 1000 colours in total. This draft has made it apparent that any future artwork requires at 12 X A0 charts, one for each month, to display any where near the number of plant variety’s Honey bees gather pollen from: the information demands twelve times more space than the present draft. It’s looking like an exhibition size project, goodness knows where that would be displayed or housed. I must be completely mental but I’m happy so who cares. 

I have 75 hardcopy (nectar), pollen colour and quality references with about half those being relevant and the other being part of a wider bibliography. I’m now collating relevant material in a Numbers database, doing my best as an artist handling scientific data. The resource is primarily for myself, so I can finish my own series of artworks. I’ll make the data and image available In PDF form to the kind contributors on the pollen colour thread who wanted it. I couldn’t bring myself to do a half hearted draft artwork, stumbling through 70 pieces of hard copy reference material, it was clearly more efficient to take one step back, rank and collate the information, and then enter data onto the artwork. I have 1200 plant variety entries in the database and I’m about a half way through the data entry from my hard copies.

2108C894-D138-448B-86D9-2F6C76FB2A74.jpeg

AB349A4B-27F0-413E-AC38-36D20BF3877B.jpeg

My own hives are going well too. 3 nice wee colonies and 3 nucs with young queens ready for spring. So it’s not all art there’s honey and beeking going on too. 

• Good Info 2

That would be a sensible idea, then beekeepers in other parts of the country can then factor in their own seasonal changes etc.  I have a 1930's Brett's Gardening Guide and in the preface it starts offexplaining about locality, the season, state of the soil etc and the reader will have no difficulty in adopting modifications for their area.  The monthly calendar directions are for mid Canterbury, stating that those in Nelson would be a week or two earlier, while those in Invercargill, would be correspondingly later.  There is also a few pages written each on Soil types and Drainage.  

Should you be looking at doing your own little publication?  Maybe sell through clubs and bee suppliers.  Article in the Advocate?

2 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

That would be a sensible idea, then beekeepers in other parts of the country can then factor in their own seasonal changes etc.  I have a 1930's Brett's Gardening Guide and in the preface it starts offexplaining about locality, the season, state of the soil etc and the reader will have no difficulty in adopting modifications for their area.  The monthly calendar directions are for mid Canterbury, stating that those in Nelson would be a week or two earlier, while those in Invercargill, would be correspondingly later.  There is also a few pages written each on Soil types and Drainage.  

Should you be looking at doing your own little publication?  Maybe sell through clubs and bee suppliers.  Article in the Advocate?

Give her a break Maggie, she's got a massive haul ahead without adding more work !

• Confused 1
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Give her a break Maggie, she's got a massive haul ahead without adding more work !

I am not trying to add work, and I realise a huge amount of work has been done, but it would be handy to know what part of the country a reference book related to nature had been compiled in, so others can reference the timeframes to their areas.

Edited by Maggie James
4 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

I am not trying to add work, and I realise a huge amount of work has been done, but it would be handy to know what part of the country a reference book related to nature had been compiled in, so others can reference the timeframes to their areas.

I'm sure you're right, but first things first.

• Agree 1

I understand all that, and I also understand that when someone takes a project on a different tangent their is a lot of thinking involved "nutting" out the whole thing.

This is something I am very interested in.  I have various colour guides from the UK & IBRA.  I am also interested in the Trees For Bees NZ.  

The data I have is both international and national. This scope causes this first draft artwork to be imperfect. It will have its own charming character because of this. I can already see its limitations and how subsequent work will evolve. I may produce artworks for specific countries, people, organisations if I weather this first stage collating from wider than national sources. National sources and studies are thorough but limited. Colours are described in words rather than showing the actual hue in NZ sources, for instance - Walsh NZ versus Kirk UK. The project is requiring me to radically ‘delay reward’ and to remain self disciplined. A typical experience when creating a fairly complex piece of work. The artwork is my focus not writing a book. I’m an artist and I taught an industry qualification organic horticulture so I do appreciate your interest in national Flowering times and local variance in climate Maggie. Each plant providing Honey bees with nectar and pollen in the database also records the Hardiness zone in which the data was gathered, the original country or region each plant derives from, possible hues of the pollen load and flowering times according to each source. Each data source has its own code indicating place of origin, degree of reliability of the data source, and whether the data is verifiable or unverifiable. I have used as many peer reviewed sources as possible but the topic is fairly obscure and not much has been written on it; therefore I’m drawing from sources internationally and nationally. This has all been Harvard referenced, and a wider bibliography is also recorded. There’s over 75 sources in my bibliography at this point from online sources, books and journals, all cited. The library at SCION, YesBut and David Black made some hard to source books and papers available to me, and that help has been pivotal. This solid base has taken eighteen months to form. It will take nigh on 3 years to complete this first stage draft artwork and database, if I don’t go mental first.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

🤣 I’m going cross eyed YesBut 

Hey got some lovely sources using first hand observation....hope they aren’t colour blind. 

Top left chart = spring pollen loads

Top right chart = summer pollen loads
Bottom right chart = autumn pollen loads
Bottom left  chart = winter pollen loads -had to work hard to find these

having each chart full makes it look like there are no times of dearth Or hardship for colonies -The compositional aesthetics over rode other considerations here. There were many more sources I had to leave out for Spring and Summer in this draft. That’s why you produce drafts. 

C0EEF9DD-4EED-444C-8EA1-A8033692DB87.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Its looking fantasic, but both variants would benefit from being put in the downloads section.

Downloads allows you to store a file, but update it with the latest version. A topic is created and everyone can feedback or contribute - you still have control over the master file.