Corban Borrie

Commercial approaches to the flow?

Corban. I would suggest you do not dignify these sad and divisive people with a reply. This is not the place for them to push their political views.

Wishing you the best in your beekeeping journey, and hoping you can get past these people and enjoy your membership here.

And Flash, you dissapoint me. In the past I have paid a lot of attention to your posts.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

37 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Heck, I should have been a moderator LOL ?

Im sure there’s still time? @Alastair@Grant 

Welcome to the forum @Corban Borrie, the answers you seek are not easily defined or clear cut, I suppose it depends on what honey you’re looking for, the sites location and as @M4ttsuggest a lot of the answers are commercially sensitive. At the moment we’re all in the watching the weather, hoping it will just go away!

• Like 3

Yes. I cannot decide if the weather sucks, or if it's great. The plus is that the ground here is soaking and this may delay drought for quite a while. The negative is I was planning to harvest the first boxes this week but need long dry days for that.

Edited by Alastair

Lol, @Alastairthe boys got the last of the poly hives out last night. Himself said they were a bit grunty! They’ll need attention ASAP and the forecast is blah! 

I’ve been making soap & baby watching (Riley is getting very mobile & chatty with occasional outbursts of ear splitting squealing) for 5 days now. Longest time off since August. I’m over it! Muggy, muddy and soggy, tracks out for days!

We’ve just caught up, now we’re behind again!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Corban Borrie said:

Hi Matt,

To clarify, i'm a second year beek. I have 4 hives here in rural Auckland and no intention of going commercial. More context, we (wife and ) have a single income and three kids, so there is no backing of a multinational agenda here trying to fish out industry secrets. Neither is there a fleet of helecopters poised to go :7_sweat_smile: I also have a business background here so the types of questions here is just part of how I genrally think. Just a genuine questoiner here seeking genuine answers.

I have found keepers generally to be the nicest natured people and think the wider community is good company. I appreciate the good will people provide, when it is given so.

Cheers, Corban

Welcome to the forum ?.

You are by no means the first to have had a rocky start or have been misunderstood.  

If you choose to continue to participate you should find it a rewarding journey.?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Alistair Any questions addresses collectively or individually is on topic. 

In addressing his points individually or collectively one needs to consider where the question originates from and what background study the OP has done.

In the case of point 7, its such a ridiculous statement/ question that it's motives need to be questioned.
BTW, I dont see myself as having a vested interest in OA.
My interest is a pastime and all a bit of a laugh

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Corban Borrie said:

Just a genuine questoiner here seeking genuine answers.

Why not just read the site
As a graduate you will know all about reading as a means of seeking answers

15 minutes ago, Philbee said:

@Alistair Any questions addresses collectively or individually is on topic. 

In addressing his points individually or collectively one needs to consider where the question originates from and what background study the OP has done.

In the case of point 7, its such a ridiculous statement/ question that it's motives need to be questioned.

I thought your pastime was an altruistic contribution to the common good .

3 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I thought your pastime was an altruistic contribution to the common good .

Thats the umbrella I live under.

Born to Serve

Nowhere is it decreed that one cant have some fun along the way

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Thats the umbrella I live under.

Born to Serve

Nowhere is it decreed that one cant have some fun along the way

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Seeing as this is the case, I'll send you my my bank details to put on your invoices ! ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Seeing as this is the case, I'll send you my my bank details to put on your invoices ! ?

Lol  Pink cat no problem, Can I pay the suppliers from your account also

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@Corban Borrie welcome to the forum ? I love a good debate ??

I thought your open questions were great.  I am interested to see what the pros have to say. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

Why not just read the site

Why not let him ask a question. You know, like, everyone else who asks questions?

It is, after all, a chat site. I have always considered "why you asking go google it" type responses rather rude.

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Why not let him ask a question. You know, like, everyone else who asks questions?

It is, after all, a chat site. I have always considered "why you asking go google it" type responses rather rude.

Yup it would be a pretty boring site if people just googled for answers to questions 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Yes of course you have a point 

However, in the case of OA, on the home page of this site exists a link to possibly the worlds most in depth trial, study, review of the topic.
Its possibly the largest thread on the site and could be considered one of the most important current Industry discussions.

Try and reconcile this with the content of Question / Statement # 7 

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 3

Thanks for the info Philbee, I'm learning cos I didn't know that link was there.

Lucky I didn't show my ignorance and ask 

• Haha 3

No I don't, you will hardly find me in that thread, if I'm even in it.

It is a 90 page document. Rather than troll through it, with my short attention span I'd be more likely to ask a question if there was something buried in there somewhere that I wanted to know.

Some kind soul may take the time to answer it. ?

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alastair said:

I'd be more likely to ask a question if there was something buried in there somewhere that I wanted to know.

It could be quite useful if someone was to take the time to summarise that thread...ie cut out the surplus  to present the development/timeline...it's not

going to be me so don't bother suggesting it....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, flash4cash said:

I was just interested with the benifit of hindsight has your viewed changed? Bill English voted against it and so did Simon Bridges, both have since repealed their organial opposition.   It not very often that you come across someone that feels so strongly about other peoples choices that they would make a submission to limit their freedom and human rights. 

WOW what a reply to some genuine questions, if you feel that strongly you would have to question about the rights of being a beekeeper and keeping bees.

Women do all the work and the men only eats, roots and leaves, a bit 1950s, mind you though they are only rooting Queens so maybe they are progressive after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

No I don't, you will hardly find me in that thread, if I'm even in it.

It is a 90 page document. Rather than troll through it, with my short attention span I'd be more likely to ask a question if there was something buried in there somewhere that I wanted to know.

Some kind soul may take the time to answer it. ?

Ive read every post .

I am a kind soul , but not necessarily a reliable one .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1